What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 O320-E3D install

Soarandtow

Has anyone installed one?
Thoughts
Issues
Recommendations
I have found a 1st run core at a low cost if it's any good

O320E3D

Got one in my 9A and it fits just fine. Just got my peach slip and will soon start Phase one soon.

Thanks Pete
That's realy good to know
I asked Van and got no response
Congrats on the pink slip
I have a ways to go, just bought a 9A airframe 75% converting to a 9 had a 0235 core and decided to step up a bit to the 320
Do you have a build site?
LD

I put an O-320 E2D (larger prop bolts) in my RV-9A. It fits fine. Lots of photos of my installation on my web site. I ended up adding dual P-mags and Airflow Performance Fuel Injection and had it rebuilt with 8.5:1 compression pistons to get it up to 160hp. I ordered the IO-360 lower cowl and have plenty of room for the airbox.

How much are you paying for the core? I paid under $5000 and the rebuild added about $13000. Still a lot less than buying a new Lycoming.

O320-E3D

I left mine as a stock dual mag E3D. Wanted to make sure that I could run mogas if the price of avgas went completely stupid. Did change out the 3/8 prop lugs to 7/16 lugs to match the Sensenich prop. The standard prop lug for a E3D is 3/8" and most but not all props for a 9 are going to be 7/16". Changing the lugs is a simple hour long task.I was able to get my engine for 2K and spent about another 10K rebuilding it. Could have gotten by cheaper but installed 4 new cylinders and jumped thru the mandatory replacement list hoop that Lycoming requires to call it a major overhaul. I wanted to keep the engine certified so I could sell it if I changed my mind.

I don't think a standard E2D (think C172)has provisions for an engine driven fuel pump and may require that you change the accessory case or have it modified whereas the E3D does have a engine driven fuel pump installed (think Cherokee). Of course neither one is provisioned for an oil controlled constant speed prop.

Last edited:
Back