What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum Gross Weight Change

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
When I bought our RV-9A four years ago the builder told me he had changed the max GW to 1,850 pounds and since it was an experimental aircraft it was OK for him to do that (just talking legal now). While I seldom, if ever, fly over the 1,750 pounds Vans Recommended Max Gross Weight I have found no documentation in the logbook, or the Operating Limitations. There was no POH.

I don't want to start another debate re. max gross weight but I would like to make the plane legally operable at 1,850 pounds FOR TAKEOFF. It is my understanding you need FISDO approval to do this and a logbook entry. I read in Kitplane Magazine that you need to provide the FISDO with the logic you used for this increase.

So my question is, "Have any of you done this and if so, what did you provide the FISDO."

Check the data plate, usually mounted under the horizontal stabilizer, it may indicate the maximum weight that was on the registration paperwork.

You are required to have the current weight and balance documents in the aircraft at all times.
There should also be a logbook entry specifying the maximum weight the aircraft was tested to. Paragraph (4) of your operating limitations explains this.

BTW, You cannot depend on what the data plate says. Even if it lists gross weight, if the gross weight has been changed, the data plate would not reflect the "current" value.

Last edited:
Gross Wt changes

Mel is right. You have to have the original (current) weight & Balance as well as the Op Spec and AW cert. The original builder of an experimental is the manufacturer of the aircraft and can set the max gross. The weight & balance document the max gross. The logbook entry for the completion of phase 1 should document the weight at which the V speeds were established and that should be the max gross. If it does not then that is another bucket of worms. I am pretty certain that unless you are the builder you can not change the max gross and I doubt your friendly FSDO will want to touch changing anything. Consult your friendly DAR for further advice.

Last edited:
Back