What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 Voltage Question

PeteP

Well Known Member
I recently got a Garmin 430 that has no data tag on it detailing the model number. Is there a way I can tell if it is a 14v or a 28v model?

I recently got a Garmin 430 that has no data tag on it detailing the model number. Is there a way I can tell if it is a 14v or a 28v model?

Looking on the Garmin Website for the 430, the specs list voltage as 14-28 volts for Part Number: 010-00139-11 430 radio. A lot of the newer radio designs accept a large voltage range so that the manufacture only needs one part number for all aircraft.

I hope this helps. If something is found different please post it here.

For the first year or so, the 430's were only 28v. You could plug it into 12 volts and see what happens.

My 430W manual says it will operate 14 to28, so you should be fine. I am running mine in a 12 volt system--no problems at all.

My 430W manual says it will operate 14 to28, so you should be fine. I am running mine in a 12 volt system--no problems at all.

Be careful: early models were voltage specific. Later models can operate on either.
If you have a serial number call Garmin and ask them.

That must have been the worlds hardest landing to knock off the data tag or something fishy is going on. Those tags are usually put on securely. I would be proceed with caution.

Back