What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SkyView now supports PocketFMS data

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
The Dynon SkyView system can now use PocketFMS databases. This is a large step forward for customers outside the USA in getting better data about smaller airports, as well as visual reporting points. Data is available for download immediately, and Dynon's latest SkyView software version 3.2.2 already supports this data format.

PocketFMS covers Europe, North America (including Canada), Australia, and New Zealand. Data is €119 per year and includes all of PocketFMS' covered regions. Users that already have a subscription to the €150 PocketFMS application can download data for their SkyView at no additional charge.

For more information, please see our press release:
http://dynonavionics.com/docs/news_version_PocketFMS_12Dec2011.html

If you are not a PocketFMS subscriber already, you can use a trial version of their PC application to investigate coverage in your area and see what data you would get on your SkyView.

Also, Dynon's next software version will include a robust user waypoints function, so that users in less supported locales can create databases themselves. The user waypoints system will allow users to import data from a CSV file, and define icons with common charting symbols for airports, VOR's, parachute areas, and more. We're doing our very best to support General Aviation in countries that do not have great database sources.

Last edited:
I agree - excellent.
We in non US countries very much appreciate any company who goes out of there way to include us as equals, such as in product support.
The corollary is, if companies treat as a second class customers it grates++++.
So cudos to Dynon who have never made us overseas folk feel unwelcome.
John

Last edited:
Pocket FMS

Hi everyone
is there anyone here who has previous experience with Pocket FMS data who could comment on its advantages and qualities vs Jeppensen ?

Your feedback will be appreciated

Thanks

Bruno

The main advantage is the total number of airports that PocketFMS has. For example, in the UK, the Jeppesen database has 190 airports. The PocketFMS database has 511.

In Canada, Jeppesen doesn't cover any private airports, while PocketFMS has many of them.

Over in Europe, PocketFMS also has Visual Reporting Points that Jeppesen doesn't have at all.

Pockets FMS

Good news, thanks for the info.

I sure will look at Pockets FMS when it's time to update.

Bruno

How Does It Work?

With the implementation of Pocket FMS in SkyView, does that mean that one can use all of the Functionality of the navigation mapping and flight planning software in Canada?

When I visited Dynon at Oshkosh last year, I was disappointed to see how limited the nav mapping capabilities were in backwards places such as Canada, where a database was unavailable.

Rob Erdos
Ottawa

Back