What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electroair with auto plugs

bob888

Well Known Member
I'm sure this has been addressed before...but to revisit, I would like info from anyone running auto spark plugs with Electroair ignition on the IO540 engine. What type of wire and connectors? What specific spark plugs? Problems? I'm interested in this because I seem to be having frequent failures of the Tempest UREM37HE aircraft type plugs, often with <100 hr.
Thanks

I am still a little spooked with the adapters. I am running BY plugs and they have eliminated annoying lead fowling.

Though not a 540, I have been running an ElectroAir (“Jeff Rose”) electronic ignition on one side of a 4 cylinder Lycoming for about 20 years.

I have used REM 37BY’s, AC Delco 486’s (18mm thread, so no adapter needed), and currently NGK BR8EIX’s.

Early on I found that if one were not careful, you could get sparks jumping to the case as opposed to the plugs when using the “self-made” harness until I took the time to get it just right.

I used “high quality” (don’t remember any particular brand) automotive harness after switching to the automotive plugs. I have not had any problems with the setup.

The plane was built with the ElectroAir and one mag. It later got a PMag to replace the mag.

I assume that your timing an everything else is in good order.

Hope this helps.

p.s. The reference to the gap made in an earlier post is that your typical aviation plugs should be gapped to .035” as opposed to a more typical gap that is around .020”.

Hi James: Thanks for your response. A couple of questions:
Did you use wires from Electroair or automotive? The Electroair wire is 350 ohms/ft and the auto wire seems to be 50 ohms per foot.
How did you determine the heat range appropriate for your engine in selecting plugs. I note that Mike K from Electroair has recommended Autolite 386 or Denso L14U.
Thanks for your advice. Bob

There are several plugs being used by the uses of EI systems on experimentals. There will be lively discussions about heat ranges but whereas I use the BR8EIXs, I think my friens uses the NGK BR8ES (or is that BR9ES?) and we seem to have the same or similar results on our Lycomings.

The beauty of the of AC Delco "Tractor plugs :) " was that they did not require the inserts. Early on though I tell that there was a slight performance penalty with them. As mentioned, I did gap them much wider that is use in autos. With the NGKs, I use the "as is out of the box".

Bob,
I am running the red electroair resistance ignition harness on the upper spark plugs. They are spiral wound and help with the ignition interference. I had originally installed the provided "blue" wire, which generated a lot of ignition noise. In addition, I have the wires separated and supported so as not to touch each other or the engine. Installing the spring-loaded pin into the wire is a bit tricky, you have to make sure it is in good contact with the wound wire. They have a video on the proper way to install the wire. I am running Tempest UREM38S Iridium tipped plugs, gapped to .032. I have been pleased with the results thusfar.

Sorry about late reply

Question for James: How long do your NGK BR8EIX plugs last?

Well ......

I don't recall ever having any sort of "failure". I know they are more expensive but I tend to replace them every inspection or two.

What made me seem to be more cavalier about spending "so much more" was that I had bought a FULL set of IRIDIUM plugs for my Piper once. This was YEARS ago and I think they we $80 EACH !! Now they are more like $140 EACH. So for $40 I could cover my PMAG or for $80, I could cover the entire engine.

I do plan to test the BR8ES on my setup at some point as the entire engine can be covered for about $20!

Back