What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual trim cable

PeteP

Well Known Member
My manual elevator trim cable has developed about 1/4" sloop in it. The trim tab is sold but when you change trim directions there is about a quarter to half turn dead space before any trim tab movement. Was not this way initially but has become quite annoying. Anyone have a resolution for this ailment.

Check the inspection cover in the elevator. The nut welded to the cover has been known to break and could cause the slop.

Most manual trim RV's that I've seen, including Mike Seager's 7, have about 1/4" play in the tab itself. Not sure about the knob, though I'm pretty sure mine does there too. There are numerous old threads on this and I haven't found any ways of eliminating it. Vans told me this was just the consequence of a long cable with a 180-degree bend in it. I'm suspecting your knob issue is just a variation of this though checking the cover plate nut as noted above should be the first place to check if something has changed in your installation. Good luck. Please let us know if you find a solution.

Back