What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand controls needed, please help.

Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
Hello,
On March 24th, I was hit by a car on my motorcycle. Going about 50mph, I flipped over the car. I broke my pelvis, left arm and a few vertebrae in my lower back.

I'm healing in bed, with an external fixator on my pelvis, which finally comes out next week. My left arm has mostly healed, with some mobility limitations in my elbow. I don't think that will be a problem.

The problem is my right leg. I suffered nerve damage that has probably permanently paralyzed my right leg, from my upper thigh down.

My father in law gave me a very supportive talk the other day (heavy sarcasm there) and told me "you know you will never fly that plane again and that I need to sell it immediately. He's understandably worried about his daughter, and my ability to ever work again (I fly for a living), but he doesn't understand how important that plane is to me. You guys understand, something you build becomes a part of you. Also, my late father helped me build it, and it bears his initials and birthday in the N number.

I believe I will fly it again, but it's going to need a modification of hand controls for the rudder and brakes.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have a 9A, with brakes on the left side only. I have a center console that has the engine controls. Something operated with the right hand would be best, so I can keep my left hand on the stick, for crosswind landings and taxiing.

Thanks in advance, and keep an eye out for motorcycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
CONTROLS

Greg,

Your accident was certainly unfortunate, but I'm sure you can keep flying. We have a local pilot that flys a Tiger Moth with a prosthesis for a right leg. I don't know how he does it, but he does it well. No hand controls needed for him. Keep a positive attitude and I'm sure you'll find that your set back will become only an inconvenience. Jeff makes prosthesis for a living. I'll get contact information for you if you want me to. [email protected]

David Watson

Optional Brakes

Hi Greg,

Very sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like you are making headway. We have a 7A on the field with hand brakes mounted on a small center console right of the pilot seat. They work very well for this gentleman. I'll see if I can get some pics and info for you. :)

Now get better... you will fly again!

Greg,

I had no idea and I am very sorry to hear this!

Please let us East TN RV guys know if there is anything we can do to help!

Sorry for your accident. There is a new group of prosthesis now, very encouraging. A lot of progress has been made. You already have the most important part done.....your will to fly again. I do know that electro pulses can be translated into mechanical motion, so even if it is not the same impulse that used to move a leg, another can be substituted. Some research should reveal these people and institutions that may be able to help. If I can find any info I will pass it on to you.

Bird

Greg,

My wife had burst fractures of her L4-L5 vertebrae almost 2 years ago, and had partial paralysis of one leg. The prognosis from her neurologist was pretty dismal, based on what the average outcome is for this type of injury. She worked hard in physical therapy, and then the gym. She saw her neurologist for the last time this week, because she has had a nearly complete recovery.

I am guessing that your docs are telling you what the average outcome is, because it is too early to accurately predict what your individual result will be. After your bones are healed, work hard in therapy and be patient; nerves heal only about 1 cm. per month. If you don't feel that your neurologist is going the extra mile for you, look elsewhere. A lot of those guys tend to be pretty pessimistic.

Sorry, I don't have any info re hand controls.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Sorry to hear about your accident Greg. I had a similar experience 24 years ago, though my body faired a bit better than yours.

I say if you still want to fly, don't give up.
I can't give you any specifics but at the very least there has been an RV-6 and an RV-4 converted and flown with hand controls (both flown as taildraggers so a 9A should be possible).

Search here in the forums for the name Carl Hay (the RV-6 builder).
He used a motorcycle twist grip throttle on the stick (left hand) and hand controls for the rudder and brakes.

Someone else can probably help with the RV-4 builder info. I know there was an article in Sport Aviation about the airplane (someone at EAA may be able to help you find a copy of it).

I wonder if you could do a toe hook for the rudders, and just use your left leg (push for left rudder, pull for right) then set up a hydraulic lever hand control for (differential) braking. Cross wind landings might be a little dodgy, and you might need to make the rudder pedals longer (or the rudder bellcranks longer) to get more leverage since it's much harder to pull than push, but I think it could be done.

The brake hand control would be a miniature version of the stick control, where moving it left and right actuated left/right only master cylinders and moving it back activated a master cylinder that pressurized both left and right brakes. Likely need to use smaller pistons to keep the forces down, but should be doable.

There is a very inspirational man here in Queensland Australia. He flys a Whitman Tailwind (taildragger) with full hand controls as his legs don't work after having contracted polio as a child. His name is Peter. David Brown (forum member) might chime in soon with further details. I love your attitude. Keep flying man!

Greg---keep your chin up. NOTHING is impossible. In fact, there are alot of smart guys and gals on this forum. I'm confident that a solution can be found.
Tom

East TN

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear of your accident!! I sure like to tone in your voice!! I might be a neighbor.... let me know if I can do anything to help!!

Greg

Hey Greg,i heard about your accident from the guys at hawkins co,glad you are doing better,i base my 7 at flaglor field and also fly a 9 thats based there.I am a cfi if you want a safety pilot when you test drive your mods,or i can help make the mods if you need the help,glad you still have the desire to fly,aint nothin like it!Especially in a homemade airplane!You might consider a cable and 2 pulleys to link the rudder pedals together and maybe toe straps as someone else suggested?If you want to discuss it call me at 423-736-0265 or email at [email protected] Bob Dougherty.

Tell your father-in-law to go to **** (nicely) and keep doing as you're doing, looking at ways to enjoy your flying.

There's a bloke flying around Australia right now who is a quadriplegic. Not a PARAplegic, a QUADriplegic. He is in a Jabiru 230 that has been modified, so the -9A is certainly doable.

There was an article in an old RVator about a pilot who modded his RV as he had very limited power in one leg, so he built a bellcrank setup to push one rudder pdeal when the other was pulled, got dual brake master cylinders installed on levers behind the throttle on the centre console, and went to the FAA for a Statement of Defined Ability.

If you can't find it, I'll have a look through my collection when I get to work, it is certainly in one of the newer "online versions", entitled "SODA PILOT".

Chin up, and with the combined brainpower of VAFers, you'll be flying again soon.:)

Greg, the article I mentioned is in the 6-2010 edition of the RVator, available for download as a *.PDF HERE. The builder in question is Carl Bell, I dunno if he's on the forums here, but if you can track him down, I'm sure he'll give you plenty of support. RVators seem to be like that. ;)

All the best.

Here

I have the answer for you. Study these pictures from a gent with an amputated left leg. This design is really flawless and I gave him transition training.

He mounted his throttle on the left and uses the two brake levers on the console for differential braking.

He made this stirrup to hook his right toe under and pull for left rudder since he fabbed a bellcrank system (shown) that connects the two rudder bars,

Stirrup.jpg

bellcrank.jpg

handbrakes.jpg

The hand brakes were routed through the passenger pedals, then to the pilot side and he has flown this airplane to California, from South Carolina and to the Northeast.

Call me for contact info: 478 494 three 7 five 7.

Yes, you can keep on flying, my friend.

Best,

Wow, this is one of the first threads I read this morning, and I am touched by the outpouring of concern among the VAF family. :D

Hand controls

http://www.wheelieswithwings.com.au/Foxbat.html
Hi Greg I am Chairman of Wheelies with Wings in Australia.
We have given learn to fly moivational scholarshps to over 50 disabled people. There are different bolt on hand controls. One of our many Oz wheelchair pilots flies a Bonanza. pics on website.

the link above shows the setup on the Foxbat aircraft we use.
Similar brakes setup to the pics Pierre posted but the rudders are controlled by left right movement of the throttle lever.
No worres you will find a setup that suits you if the leg doesnt come right.

Greg,

Just a hunch, but it sounds like your father in law thinks selling your airplane will solve two problems- it's way to help you pay for lost income and a way to get rid of something he's probably always feared.

We see it as a precious tool for a fellow pilot's recovery and return to normal life.

I grew up watching a local builder/pilot with polio fly in and out of our model airplane strip with his Kolb Firestar. Though he could barely walk with a cane, he flew that airplane like it was an extension of himself. He belonged in the sky. You will figure it out!

We can do the mod.

Greg, I spoke with my buddy, Ray Lawrence, a bit ago and he says he'd be glad to do the mods for you. He runs an RV builder-assist facility and has built 20 or so RV-s...all models.

He's familiar with Carl Bell's airplane and has seen it up close.

Ray's located in Sandersville, Ga (OKZ).

Best,

the link above shows the setup on the Foxbat aircraft we use.
Similar brakes setup to the pics Pierre posted but the rudders are controlled by left right movement of the throttle lever.
Rob, unless i'm mistaken, the brakes on the Foxbat look like they are a single master cylinder driving both wheels... Is that correct? Do you have any differential braking on the Foxbat?

It looks like it has a steerable nosewheel as well, which on the ground would eliminate some/most need for differential braking. On the RV with the castering nose/tail wheels, differential braking is a must.

Looking at the two side-by-sides shown so far, and knowing that my RV only has brakes in the pilot's seat, I wonder if it would make sense to remove the brake lines/pistons/pedals from the pilot's seat, and only have them in the passenger seat and on the hand controls. That would save the weight of the brakes the pilot can't use anwyay, and reduce system complexity. If one wanted to convert back to a conventional RV later, they could add the brake pedals when they remove the hand controls.

I seem to recall seeing a system that had differential brakes *and* rudder controls on one center-mounted control. But I forget where I saw it now, or how it worked. I'll look further.

Greg, I admire your positive attitude.

As I study the excellent post from Pierre with the interesting bellcrank mechanism and pedal mod allowing the pilot with the good leg to push and pull the rudder pedal, I am reminded of a recent post from a Frenchman named Antoine Garcia who proposed a pair of gears on the rudder pedal tubes which accomplish the EXACT SAME FUNCTION, but do it in perhaps a more elegant way, with fewer parts and lighter weight. He was poo-pooed a bit for solving what some felt was a non-existent problem, but it does indeed solve a problem for Greg! Some raised concerns about FOD falling into the gears which could very easily be addressed with a sheet metal cover over them. His phots are as follows:

143836IMG0226.jpg

208214IMG0228.jpg

659358IMG0230.jpg

700526IMG0426.jpg
[/quote]

Greg, I admire your positive attitude.

As I study the excellent post from Pierre with the interesting bellcrank mechanism and pedal mod allowing the pilot with the good leg to push and pull the rudder pedal, I am reminded of a recent post from a Frenchman named Antoine Garcia who proposed a pair of gears on the rudder pedal tubes which accomplish the EXACT SAME FUNCTION, but do it in perhaps a more elegant way, with fewer parts and lighter weight. He was poo-pooed a bit for solving what some felt was a non-existent problem, but it does indeed solve a problem for Greg! Some raised concerns about FOD falling into the gears which could very easily be addressed with a sheet metal cover over them. His phots are as follows:

The reenforcement gussets in the rudder pedal assembly are expecting the loads to be induced directly at the pedal. If this is changed, then changes to the actual torque tube pedal assembly will likely be needed also.

Greg:
So Very sorry to hear of your accident! I ride and fly as well. Its a shame there are so many Jerks out there that dont watch out for Bikes! Dont give up hope.
This great VAF community will see to it that you WILL fly again. If I can be of any help at all with the mod, or bringing the plane somewhere to get the work done, let me know.
I am just up the road in Lexington.
Al "Nordo" Grajejk
[email protected]

Good luck on your next life adventure, the mind is much more powerful than any physical limitation any of us have.

Not sure if it helps, but look into hand brake master cylinders used in sandrails. The braking issue is easy to solve. Neal is one brand.

Best of luck.

Brit Brakes

Douglas Bader had lost both his legs and the reason he could fly Spitfires and Hurricanes is because they don't have toe brakes. They have pneumatic brakes and I think the rudder pedals went to a proportioning valve for differential braking. The control for the brakes was on the stick.

I have seen the plane

Greg, I have seen the plane and met the man of which Pierre speaks. Absolutely great. Go for it!

Thank you my friends.

I am truly touched by the enormous support given here, actually choked up. I will concentrate on healing first, but in the very near future I will look back on this thread and find a way back in my airplane that my father and I built. I won't make it to Oshkosh this year, but in 2014 I look forward to flying in with my son. There, I plan on meeting so many of my brothers and sisters I've only shared a few online words with, words that have provided immeasurable support and inspiration.

Thank you so much my friends, Godspeed and safe flying (and riding).

Hand Throttles and Brakes

There was a gentleman in the Northwest (Oregon/Washington) that was in a wheel chair and flew an RV6. He had two hand sticks in the center console that were brakes and rudder, I think he had a twist grip throttle too, but not sure. I used to have a t shirt with his photo on it. I saw him at the Scapoose, Oregon annual RV fly-in. I would contact someone up there to find out more.

Then watch this video about the "Miracle Man" Morris Goodman who broke his neck and they said he would not make it through the night and if he did he would never be able to do anything, I said ANYTHING. But he was determined to walk out of the hospital, and he did!!!

http://www.themiracleman.org/

Don't listen to the negative influence of other people!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!

I look forward to seeing you in the sky and on a ramp someday.

N37HR "Knuckle Sandwich" in honor of my father.

Hi Greg,

I have no words of wisdom, but want to wish you a speedy recovery. All the best, and will be looking for an update from you in the future as to your SUCCESSFUL RECOVERY.

Rich

Read this

I'm also a part time Methodist lay speaker and try to be encouraging..read this story:

When an elephant is a baby, it's tied to a post with a large enough rope that he can't break or get loose.

When he gets older and matures into a grown elephant, he is tied to a small post with a small rope. He could easily, physically free himself...he has the strength.

What keeps him tied there, with that small rope, is his lack of will, to even try to free himself, since he has learned from youth that he is unable to.

Don't ever give up hope, our mind has an incredible amount of control over our bodies and our body's health.

Best,

Update

Hello my friends,

Just to give you an update, I'm just out of three weeks of in patient rehabilitation therapy, and I can now get in and out of bed by myself. My own bed, not the hospital bed I was in for so long. I'm able to get in and out of the shower by myself, after four months of bed baths, which is wonderful. I'm able to use the toilet, not the bed pan and in dwelling catheter. Also wonderful. I'm able to drive, pretty much normally, using my left foot instead of my right. I'm pretty good in a wheelchair, even though I'm still holding on to the idea of walking again someday.

I'll be sending my plane off to Pierre's friend Ray, to see what he can do about modifying my plane for my future use. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just a side note about how my plane ended up in Van's calendar this month. Last year, at Oshkosh, a reporter from GA News left a note on my plane asking about an interview. I thought it was either a joke or a scam, because of the volume of beautiful RVs there, why in the world mine? Turned out, she was interested because of my USAFR patch on the tail. She met me for the interview, and said she would like to get some air to air photos. I took her up on that offer, and some fantastic pictures came out of it, at absolutely no cost to me. I sent some off to Van's around this time last year, and now, about a year later, my plane is Ms September! Bottom line, if my plane can get in there, pretty much any plane can, with a good professional photographer in a chase plane. I gotta tell you, after hanging a Vans calendar in my shop for four years while I built my plane, I never imagined my plane would someday be in there.

Anyway, thanks again for all the support. Again, my goal is Oshkosh next year. To those of you still building, keep at it. There is nothing besides my wife and kids that is more motivational than my plane, to help me recover from this and adjust to my new normal.

See you in the skies before too long, and best regards to everyone.

Greg/Pierre,

I'm mechanical/aerospace engineer in Macon/Warner Robins, GA with access to computer aided design and CNC machining tools. If you guys need help with anything in regards to Greg's modifications, I'd be VERY happy to come help, draw something up, machine a few parts, help design or analyze something, whatever! Just let me know!

Yes

Chuck, Sandersville is close to you, where Ray Lawrence has his RV builder's assist facility and I'd really like a pair of door safety locks, like Vic Syracuse and Vern Darley have. The original machinist won't make any more. Here's a picture of them:

doorlatch2_zps9f37ee0f.jpg

Latched:
doorlatch5_zps5c416a53.jpg

You should be able to see the shoulder at the end of the arm and it slides into a pocket on the receiver...a bulletproof safety latch.

There's another -10 coming together at Ray's and I'd bet he'd also like a set.

Best,

Thanks Pierre and Ray

Pierre and Ray flew up to a cold South western virginia airport and picked up my plane today to get modified for hand brakes and a one legged rudder operation mod. It was great to meet those guys in person, and I know my plane is in good hands.

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words and support.

flying with one leg

Greg, sorry to hear of your accident. I have a right leg AK amputation and fly a RV4 that my son and I built 6 years ago. 770 hrs to date. I mounted the right master cyl. on the fire wall and ran a cable from it to a motorcycle hand clutch lever mounted on the stick. I built a U shaped styup that swings below the right peddle to hold the foot up off of the floor as I have some strength to push on the right peddle. I also made a handle that attaches to the right rear rudder pedal for extra rudder pressure for gound opperations. Building a 12 now and will use a similar set up. Fly Cessnas with one foot going between the peddles, foot cross ways up on brakes. I think this system would be better than the pull method.

72 years young
Sonerai 2 1977
RV4 2007
RV12 Jabiru 3300 building

Great time

You guys amaze me with your ingenuity and perseverance....flying a taildragger with one leg!

Greg's -9A is one of the most impeccably built RV's that I've ever seen...then again, what would one expect from a Citation driver? He's a first class guy and Ray and I are going to bust our butts to see him fly again. It's so rewarding to shake another fellow RVer's hand and enjoy the fellowship.

Best,

What a great thread!

This is a thread that's going to make front page on Doug's VAF news. Great work, guys.

Keep us posted on the progress!

Very sad news

Sad to say, the FAA is not going to allow me to renew my medical. So my plane is for sale. I never in a million years thought I'd be saying that. Contact me for details. IFR bird, Barrett IO320, constant speed MT three blade prop. Cover of GA news last September, Vans calendar this past September. Full AFS 4500 and 3400 glass panel, garmin 430 Waas, gtx 327, SL40 2nd comm, pma9000ex audio panel Pro Pilot auto pilot. Bruce custom canopy cover. Fresh annual. approximately 390 TT. First flight was January 2011. [email protected]
I haven't figured a price yet, sorry. I'll think on it.

**** Greg, that just plain sucks. Maybe things will change and they will pull their head out of their rear and see reality. Best of luck with recovery and getting your medical back.

Don't sell! don't give up, fight back! there is always a way, don't want to pry, and only if you are ok with, what was there main reason for denial?

Back