What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Gear leg/wheel camber

kbelue

My RV-10 tires wear quickly on the outer edges, leaving a scalloped tire. When you look at it from the front, the wheel has a lot of camber. My RV-6A wears on the edge also, but not near as bad. I wonder if it was designed to be correct when at gross weight - I normally don't fly at gross, but with 2 people/light load. I've thought about bending the gear leg axle up a few degrees (perhaps get Harmon Lange to do it), but I'm not sure how well that would work. Does anyone else have an issue with tires wearing off the edge?

Kevin Belue

Tire wear

I have the same issue with 90 hours. I am adding shims to correct the problem in the near future. Vans sell them cheap. Buy them based on needed correction.
Randy Means
N595RV
RV 10
Merritt Island

My first set of tires only lasted 200 hours. By increasing the psi to 52 the second set show much less wear. By the way both sets are the stock tires that come with the kit.

I have the same issue with 90 hours. I am adding shims to correct the problem in the near future. Vans sell them cheap. Buy them based on needed correction.
Randy Means
N595RV
RV 10
Merritt Island

I know you can shim RV-8 axles, but they're made differently than the other RV's. I'm curious how shims on the RV-10 gear legs would change camber - can you give more info?

Kevin Belue

RV-Wheels

My experience with the first set of tires were the same. They didn't last long.
I am now running a re-tread from Dresser and they are lasting more than twice as long. Like others have said, just run them on one side and then flip them.

As far as I know there is no way to shim the RV-10 as it is solid piece of steel from mount to axle. The only adjustment is the toe-in but that requires you to drill a new hole and use a larger bolt. I now have 800 hours on my -10 and I will rotate the tires after 250 hours and they don't cost too much.

tires wear on the outer edge

Is their anything anyone can add to this thread?

At 100 hours total time i am rotating one tire because of wear on the outer edge and replacing the other because of cord showing. I have never had an airplane that went through tires this quickly.

I can't see how you would adjust the camber. Would more air pressure help?

I started with the stock Vans tires and wore them out rotating them. Then went to the Dresser retreads and they did much better still had wear as
everyone describes. When I updated my brakes I did some research and
changed to Goodyear Flight custom 3 Tires and after 200 hours I have very little to no visible wear. They are a lot more expensive but should last
3-4 times as long based on current wear and 200+ hours
FWIW

Geoff

I started with the stock Vans tires and wore them out rotating them. Then went to the Dresser retreads and they did much better still had wear as
everyone describes. When I updated my brakes I did some research and
changed to Goodyear Flight custom 3 Tires and after 200 hours I have very little to no visible wear. They are a lot more expensive but should last
3-4 times as long based on current wear and 200+ hours
FWIW

Geoff

Geoff,
What specific model,ply and size did you go with?

Thanks

They are the standard size 15x6.00-6-6 that comes on the RV-10 and
they are the Goodyear Flight Custom III.
Geoff

Last edited:
Dresser Retreads

In an earlier post someone said they got improved performance with the Dresser retreads so I bought some from Spruce. They cost about half as much as the Goodyear flight III.

If I could get twice as much use it would be worth not having to pull the wheels off and changing the tires. It is a messy, greasy job.

Back