What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil pressure at idle

prkaye

Well Known Member
When my engine is idling (throttle all the way out), my oil pressure reading is at the very bottom of the green arc. It comes up into the green arc as I add power. Is this ok?

The spec's on my engine allow pressure as low as 25 PSI during idle. That's way out of the green arc, which (I assume) is the acceptable range when the engine is at normal flight power levels. IIRC, the green arc begins at 60 psi.

i wouldn't worry much about it. as long as you have some oil pressure at idle.(within limits) When your engine is hot at idle your pressure will be considerably less than a cold engine. As long as you have good pressure at operating rpm i wouldn't worry.
I've had a number of aircraft over the years and with a hot engine and very low engine rpm the pressure may be low (still within limits) but comes well within the operating limits at proper rpm.

Last edited:
Ya, i don't doubt I've had 25 psi at idle before after landing (sorry, throttle closed) it's real low on the guage. Just haven't had a good look to see the exact number but that's because I know during flight the pressure was good so wasn't worried enough to pay much attention to it.
but the figures you state make sense.

Last edited:
Paul, I try to target 75psi in cruise. That gives me about 55psi at idle. I set my green range 60-90psi, so at idle I am in the yellow. My yellow is 25-60 and 90-120, Red is <25.

What you are seeing appears to be totally normal.

Back