What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N941WR Rebuild Update

N941WR

Legacy Member
OK, it is time to fill you in on what is going on with N941WR. (As if you folks really care.)

99 days after the taxi incident, the insurance check finally arrived and was spent the next day.

The delay was caused by the O-290-D2 engine. The insurance company wanted to rebuild it but since there are no low time parts available (I only had 1,000 TT on that engine), it would have cost them more than the price of a top shelf engine from Mattituck, Eagle, or Barrett to rebuild it. So we settled for significantly less. With some sweat equity, N941WR should fly again after 200 to 300 hours of work. Then after the 2nd Phase 1 test period I hope to get it painted, finally.

Here is what is I have planned for it:
O-360 ECI kit engine (This is where that sweat equity comes in.)
Whirlwind 18 lb Ground Adjustable prop
Sam James cowl short cowl and cooling plenum

That's the big stuff; the rest is just details, such as a shorter dynafocal 1 engine mount and other parts.

While I'm at it, I'm going to order just the molded side panels from Classic Aero. (I gotta keep mama happy.)

I also hope to make a Vetterman's belly fairing while the plane is back in the basement.

The change from 135 to 180 hp should be interesting.

With all the changes, the empty weight will grow from 995 to around 1030 +/- before paint. (The empty weight went up by 5 lbs when I added the Dynon AP last year.)

I'll be interested in the difference between the two engines .....for sure. Available power, speed, and fuel use when throttled back.

Won't even bug you about a C/S... :)

L.Adamson

I'll be interested in the difference between the two engines .....for sure. Available power, speed, and fuel use when throttled back.

Won't even bug you about a C/S... :)

L.Adamson
I wish my old prop was a cruise prop rather than a climb prop, it would make the comparison more worthwhile.

As for the CS prop thing, I?m not sure I really need to go vertical. Heck with just me and 135 hp I could easily see 1800 FPM. This big engine is going to frighten me.

Bill,
You're gonna love it! My buddy Rich Reinhart has an IO-360 180 hp/ Sensnich on his RV-9 and I can't climb with him. My RV-8 has ECI 188 hp/Hartzell.
Regards,

Bill,
You're gonna love it! My buddy Rich Reinhart has an IO-360 180 hp/ Sensnich on his RV-9 and I can't climb with him. My RV-8 has ECI 188 hp/Hartzell.
Regards,

Thanks for the input. Based on what I saw with 135 hp I'm not surprised. Van's really did their homework with that Ronz airfoil.

BTW, on my first flight w/ 1/2 tanks & no flaps my takeoff roll was around 250 feet. That surprised everyone, including me since I gave it power slowly.

Hey Bill-

Just spoke with Dale last night who gave me a bit more detail into your status. So glad to hear that you have a plan and timetable in sight! Was wondering why you decided to go with the 360 instead of the 320 since you were not interesed in speed or climb velocity.
Hope that all of this goes smoothly and that you will be ready for flight when the good weather returns!

My a/c is in paint shop. Hoping to get to Charlotte in the relative near future.

Peter K
9A-90 hrs

2-300 hours of work to get it flying? What, you to get the lead out. Get that thing flying! I wan't mine flying in 300 hours.

IMHO the RV -9 tip up is the best of the fleet. Yours will be a fine example.

Hey Bill-

Just spoke with Dale last night who gave me a bit more detail into your status. So glad to hear that you have a plan and timetable in sight! Was wondering why you decided to go with the 360 instead of the 320 since you were not interesed in speed or climb velocity.
Hope that all of this goes smoothly and that you will be ready for flight when the good weather returns!

My a/c is in paint shop. Hoping to get to Charlotte in the relative near future.

Peter K
9A-90 hrs
Peter,

Good to hear you are getting it painted, I'm sure it will look great!

Early on, I decided that if I had the cash, I would rather put the money into a new kit engine than a mid-time used engine. With that in mind, all options were open.

I really wanted to go with the horizontal induction IO-340 but that was just out of my budget. (With the new baby it is harder to justify spending money on toys.) I liked the idea of 180 hp for less weight than an O-320.

As to why the O-360, below is part of a spreadsheet I put together, I think the answer was very obvious.
Engine.....HP.....Lbs.......Price
O-320....164.....270.....$14,200
O-340....177.....277.....$14,800
O-360....185.....282.....$14,700

Once I looked at the prices, HP, and weight the O-360 really stood out as the answer. Also, I knew I was going to put my lightweight P-mags and SkyTec starter from the O-290 on the engine and a composite prop of some type. Thus my total engine-prop weight will be less than an O-320 w/ FP metal prop and a good bit less than an O-320 with CS prop.

A good number of 9's are flying with the (I)O-360 180 hp engine and they are not exceeding Vne at altitude, so I knew that wouldn't be an issue. Besides, it gives me the option of throttling back and running at the same fuel burns and speeds as my O-290, probably a bit faster because I won't be spinning a climb prop like I was before.

Last edited:
One other thought

I looked long and hard at buying a used engine but what I found was the cost of a mid-time (1000 hours +/-) engine was around $8,000.

Thus, the price you pay per hour is the same for both the kit engine and the used engine. When it comes down to it, I would much rather have a new engine for the same price per hour, even if the total cash outlay is greater.

Last edited:
when you say "kit engine", do you mean you have to build it yourself?
like the RV, you get a bin of parts and put it together in the basement?

p.s. I just finished reading your engine rebuild webpages the other day, enjoying each photo and issues you encountered and solved, not knowing that the engine has already been "destroyed". I am really sorry to see such effort wasted. You have a very good website, with lots of useful information.
RVN,

Yes, ECI makes PMA'ed parts for Lycoming engines. In fact, they make every part to put together an engine but they don't sell certified engines, even though every part they make can go in a certified engine. Thus you buy a "kit" and put it together yourself using the Lycoming OH manual. That or you hire someone like Eagle Engines, Mattituck, Barrett, etc. to build one up for you. When you are done you have a "Lyclone" that looks, feels, and performs like (or better than) a Lycoming.

Thanks for the comments on the web site, putting it together was my way of giving back/paying forward for all the help I received during my build. Fitting the O-290 was a challenge but it was also enjoyable. I suspect installing the O-360 will be easier, even with the cooling plenum.

Last edited:
Bill:

Thanks for the answer... that clears a lot of the questions I had in the back of my mind -- I kept on running into the ECI name, and did not understand that Mattitucks, etc., are "builders", not manufacturers.

One more question:
After you built your engine, does it has to be inspected and/or tested to certain performance before you can fly it?
e.g. a dyno run?

TIA

...One more question:
After you built your engine, does it has to be inspected and/or tested to certain performance before you can fly it?
e.g. a dyno run?

TIA
In the US, Canada may be different, all engines on E-AB's are the same once they are mounted on an E-AB.

The only difference is for the test period, a certified engine-prop combo gets you a 25 hour test period. A non certified engine-prop combo gets you a 40 hour test period. With my Lycoming O-290-D2 and a Catto prop, I had an initial 40 hour phase 1 because my prop was not certified.

Other than that, it is up to the guy who's butt is flying behind the engine to make sure it is safe.

In my case, since I'm putting in a different engine (and prop) than the plane was originally certified with, I have to do some paperwork and will have to put it back into a phase 1 test period.

I'm already talking with my FSDO to establish my phase 1 requirements. Since the airplane is already proven (250 hours), the question is how many hours will they want me to put on this engine before leaving my test area and/or carrying a passenger.

Mel, do you have any thoughts on what to expect?

Last edited:
ECI notes

I spoke to the ECI guys at LOE last weekend. I thought I'd post this note for anyone considering their fine product.
Although the ECI engine is comprised of 100% PMA parts, the assembled engine will never be a "certificated" engine no matter who (A&P, IA, the pope) assembles it UNLESS a Lycoming data plate is affixed to the engine.

I spoke to the ECI guys at LOE last weekend. I thought I'd post this note for anyone considering their fine product.
Although the ECI engine is comprised of 100% PMA parts, the assembled engine will never be a "certificated" engine no matter who (A&P, IA, the pope) assembles it UNLESS a Lycoming data plate is affixed to the engine.
Steve,

That is correct but once a "certified" Lycoming is hung on an E-AB, it also becomes an experimental engine. As I understand it, if that "certified" engine is removed from an E-AB aircraft, it will have to be torn down and overhauled by a "certified" mechanic or repair facility before it can be installed on a "certified" aircraft.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

As for affixing a Lycoming data plate, that could be done, as long as every part ?installed? during the ?overhaul? is a PMA?ed part, even if the only Lycoming part is that data plate. A lot of war birds are "restored" this way, if you have a P51 data plate, you have a Mustang.

I'm already talking with my FSDO to establish my phase 1 requirements. Since the airplane is already proven (250 hours), the question is how many hours will they want me to put on this engine before leaving my test area and/or carrying a passenger.
Mel, do you have any thoughts on what to expect?
Your operating limitations say that you must have at least a 5 hour phase I for any major change. Since you are substantially changing power and W & B, I would recommend 10 hours. Your FSDO may differ.

Your operating limitations say that you must have at least a 5 hour phase I for any major change. Since you are substantially changing power and W & B, I would recommend 10 hours. Your FSDO may differ.

Thanks Mel, 10 hours is what I was thinking. I will have to perform all the speed and fuel burn tests again, so 10 hours is about right.

RVN,

Yes, ECI makes PMA'ed parts for Lycoming engines. In fact, they make every part to put together an engine but they don't sell certified engines, even though every part they make can go in a certified engine. Thus you buy a "kit" and put it together yourself using the Lycoming OH manual. That or you hire someone like Eagle Engines, Mattituck, Barrett, etc. to build one up for you. When you are done you have a "Lyclone" that looks, feels, and performs like (or better than) a Lycoming.

Back to this for a moment - I see a lot of kit engine builders (manufacturers), but I have not found any place where I can purchase just the kit for my own assembly. Everytime I ask about it, I am directed toward a manufactured kit engine. I want to be able to purchase just the parts and work with my local A&P/EAA TC to build it up myself. I have never found this option on their website, and when I've called ECI directly they simply pointed me to Ameritech Industries (engine builder), who then told me they don't sell kits themselves, only finished engines - and the prices they quoted me were right at certified Lycoming prices - no thanks! I've gotten the same runaround several times from different people. I like the ECI engine, but they are about to lose a potential customer due to horrible marketing. If I can't find what I want from them, I will go with a different option rather than buying one of their pre-built kits.

So the question is - to those of you that have actually managed to get a "kit engine" - meaning a box of parts and not an assembled engine - where the heck did you get it? Who did you talk to? What magic wand did you wave to "open sesame"?

Last edited:
... and when I've called ECI directly they simply pointed me to Ameritech Industries (engine builder), who then told me they don't sell kits themselves, only finished engines. ...- where the heck did you get it? Who did you talk to?
Two places, Ameritech Industries and A.E.R.O.

Jesse at AERO 1-800-362-3044
or
Bob Honig at Ameritech/Eagle Engines: 1-800-292-7767

When I spoke to Bob I told him "word on the street" was that they wouldn't sell the kits. He insisted the would be more than happy to sell kits but most of their business is completed engines.

You might want to try Mahlon at Mattituck as well, they might sell a kit engine but I don't really know. The problem the engine builders have with selling a kit is that if something goes wrong because the customer screwed up the assembly is they call the kit seller for tech advice. With these kit engines, I don't see that as an option. I may call them and ask for to buy new parts but not help because I messed up the assembly.

Last edited:
For engine kits:

http://www.aerosportpower.com/ Sent me many quotes back before I got my engine..

Lots of the other engine builders that ECI list on their website will give you a quote for an engine. I found that they were all really close to each other on price.

while we are talking about kit engines...
and you guys are right up there with the knowledge and experience,
let me ask one more question:

when an engine is built, does it has to be dyno'd to verify the power output ?

I would hate to find out at the first flight.

while we are talking about kit engines...
and you guys are right up there with the knowledge and experience,

You asked if the new engine has to have rated power verified. I'm not familiar with the regs in Canada, but in the USA thousands of engines that received field overhauls over the past sixty years were returned to service for flight without ever being near a dyno.

A Lyco-clone is about as basic an engine as they come. Unless there are gross errors in assembly, there is no reason to believe the engine will not deliver something close to rated power. The professional builders obviously have good reason to use a dyno to verify they have delivered promised product, but the amateur builder should have no reason to be concerned about the output of a carefully constructed kit engine.

You might be interested to know that those of us with fixed-pitch props are launching our RVs with far less than rated power. My RV-6 has an O-320, rated 160hp @2700rpm, but since I only see 2270 rpm at rotation due to the cruise prop, the plane is producing less than 120hp at takeoff. The -6 still performs admirably. :)

while we are talking about kit engines...and you guys are right up there with the knowledge and experience,
You will know pretty close when you do a static run-up. If you don't see close to rated rpm with a constant speed or at least 2100 rpm with a F/P then you should go back and look for a problem.

ECI's box of parts

ECI doesn't sell direct to the end user. You must contact a dealer such as Jesse at AERO-in-Stock at 1-800-362-3044.

ECI Engines

Since Bill's thread has been totally hijacked at this point I might as well add some fuel to the fire.

I bought the ECIO-360 engine from Jesse at AERO and received the kit last August. (Here is my blog on the whole assembly http://www.flightinnovations.com/engine.html). I installed the AFP fuel injection and P-Mag/E-Mag combo.

My first flight was May 7, 2009 and as of yesterday afternoon I had passed 90 hours on the Hobbs. I just flew a nice cross-country from Copperhill, TN to Abilene, TX and back with the wife (here is my APRS track: http://aprs.fi/?call=N16BL&mt=m&z=8&timerange=259200, and the engine has continued to fly superbly.

With the Catto three-blade, full-cruise prop I am able to climb at 1000+ fpm up through 5000' while keeping airspeed around 120 kts. Below 8000' I have to throttle back (to 1/2 throttle) to 2500 rpms in order to be below 75% power. Then I am able to lean for a 9.0 gph fuel burn. Due to the intense headwind westbound, I was only able to see 160 mph but with no wind I normally cruise at 185 mph. I always use Flight Following and the controllers always ask "RV16BL, say type aircraft"?

While much of the credit goes to Vans for the -9 wing design, the ECI engine just purrs along. Bill will be more than tickled when he lifts that puppy off the runway for the first time...

I also plan on the IO360. I have ordered the Whirlwind 200RV CS prop. Still putting the panel parts together.

Two places, Ameritech Industries and A.E.R.O.

Jesse at AERO 1-800-362-3044
or
Bob Honig at Ameritech/Eagle Engines: 1-800-292-7767

When I spoke to Bob I told him "word on the street" was that they wouldn't sell the kits. He insisted the would be more than happy to sell kits but most of their business is completed engines.

You might want to try Mahlon at Mattituck as well, they might sell a kit engine but I don't really know. The problem the engine builders have withe selling a kit is that if something goes wrong because the customer screwed up the assembly is they call the kit seller for tech advice. With these kit engines, I don't see that as an option. I may call them and ask for to buy new parts but not help because I messed up the assembly.

Thanks for the info - I finally got squared away with Ben at AERO and Bob at Ameritech, and I have the pricing info I wanted on the way to me.

Back to the topic...

Yesterday I called both ECi and Will James.

The engine kit won't be delivered until right around Christmas time and Will James said the same thing for the cowling.

With 200 to 300 hours worth of work ahead of me, I doubt I will make SnF. :(

The good news is the FSDO is going to give me just five hours in my new Phase 1. That might be extended voluntarily for another five to ten hours for additional testing and engine break in.

The order from Van's came two weeks ago, yesterday the cooling plenum arrived, and the holy cowl should be here on Friday.

Now all I need is the engine and propeller.

Hey Bill-

Peter K
9A-90 hrs

He lies. He purrs in these forum posts like a cruizin' pussy cat but inside the racing lion rages. Expect the wings to be shortened some day.

Bob Axsom

He lies. He purrs in these forum posts like a cruizin' pussy cat but inside the racing lion rages. Expect the wings to be shortened some day.

Bob Axsom

The thought had occurred to me before but I really wonder how it would perform by running a different race profile. ie: Depending on the length of the race, max climb rate so that more efficient wing could spend most of its time up high, in the thin air where it really shines.

The best time to test that approach is in July 2010

The AirVenture Cup Air Race is to be flown from Mitchell, South Dakota this year and in 2008 high was the only way to go and win. Give it a shot.

Bob Axsom

I might be flying by then. Who really knows. This rebuild isn't going as well as I had hoped. Just waiting for parts is killing me.

I might be flying by then. Who really knows. This rebuild isn't going as well as I had hoped. Just waiting for parts is killing me.

See....I told you there would have been plenty of time to put that new G900X in your plane during the rebuild, but you just wouldn't listen!! :D

Cheers,
Stein

See....I told you there would have been plenty of time to put that new G900X in your plane during the rebuild, but you just wouldn't listen!! :D

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,

I would pain me to make you so happy by cleaning out my bank account!

I've been fighting with getting the new engine mount bolted up. Last night I started with the one bolt that wouldn't go in and worked outward from there. It looks like that might have done the trick. No two engine mounts are identical and getting this one istalled is a bit like hanging a dynafocal 1 engine. You swear up and down the mount must be wrong but in the end it does fit.

Tonight I'll put in the last two bolts and then on to some other minor things that I'm looking forward to.

My Classic Aero molded side panels should arrive in a week and I need to move the transformers for the ANR and touch up the interior paint before they can be fitted.

Last edited:
Work is moving along

I now have 105 hours* of labor into my plane since the taxi incident, including disassembly and inspections.

Prior to hanging the engine mount, the battery box was removed from the firewall so it could be inspected and cleaned. No damage was found inside or out, which is what I had expected.

The P-mags are sitting on a shelf after they were inspected and returned. The SkyTec starter was sent back and exchanged for a factory overhauled unit for $160. This was required because the new engine will have a different starter ring than the O-290.

The James family has kind enough to send a plenum and cowling, which are now sitting in my basement waiting for the engine to be hung.

Larry V. shipped a exhaust, which came some time back.

Van's sent two large boxes of parts, including a new engine mount. After some struggles, the new mount is bolted on, torqued, and cotter pined.

The new rudder bottom is now trimmed and the tail light mounted. I will wait until finally assembly to rivet it in place. (The original rudder bottom was damaged when the prop strike drove the tail down and the tail wheel bolt punched a hole in the fiberglass. Luckily no aluminum was bent.)

The Whrilwind Ground Adjustable prop is supposed to ship in one week.

Tuesday of this week, ECi said the engine kit is supposed to ship "mid-December". This will be exactly two months from when they received the order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

While that is going on, I started in on the condition inspection. The fuselage is good to go with no wear items or any such things. I crawled into the tail cone and gave it a good cleaning, dusting really.

The mains have been repacked and tires rotated. Only what I thought was outstanding tread depth turned out to be 1/16" of tread after I inflated the tires. I must order a new pair of tires (retreads) and airstoppers today.

If I could only remember where I placed my new brake pads, I would replace those too.

Other things going on are cleaning up some of the paint scratches on the inside and little things like that.

The other big addition will be a set of side panels from Classic Aero covered in my leather and finally cutting a hole for my EICommander so it doesn't have to ride on top of the glair shield.

* Time spent on the condition inspection is not included in the rebuild hours listed above. I expect there will be close to 200 hours to get the plenum, FAB, and cowling fitted.

Last edited:
I now have 105 hours of labor into my plane since the taxi incident, including disassembly and inspections.

Then I moved on to the rudder bottom, which was damaged. The new rudder bottom is now trimmed and the tail light is mounted. I will wait until finally assembly to rivet it in place.

I recommend attaching the lower rudder cap with flathead screws and platenuts. I did this on My RV-6A and I have had to remove it several times in the past 5.5 years.

Bob Axsom

I recommend attaching the lower rudder cap with flathead screws and platenuts. I did this on My RV-6A and I have had to remove it several times in the past 5.5 years.

Bob Axsom

I was thinking the same thing Bob and might well do that. I have a bunch of #6 platenuts lying around and they would be easy enough to install now. Those plate nuts might offset the weight savings I got by installing Dayton's tailwheel.

Bob Axsom

Dang you Bob! I just spent the evening changing that thing over to platenuts!

Early Christmas

Good day today.

The Classic Aero interior panels arrived and they look great!

I had an extra hide from when I had my seats done locally and sent them off to Classic Aero and they were able to use that. (I'll post the pictures in a few days.)

My Whirlwind ground adjustable prop should ship this week or next. They are waiting for the carbon fiber spinner so they can ship them all together.

After talking to ECi on Monday and being told my engine wouldn't ship until mid-January Eagle called me late today and asked how I wanted to pay for shipping. What? Turns out ECi hopes to ship my engine before Christmas. That will make it nine weeks from the day the order went in.

It looks like ECi has caught up on their orders.

Looks like I have some work to do.

Back to Van's...

After struggling to install my engine mount it was time to slide the gear legs into place and put the plane back on its feet. What I thought would take an hour at the most has taken much longer than that will take even longer.

The left leg slid right into place with no problem but that was not the case with the right leg.

The gear leg would almost slide all the way in but would hang up about a 1/2" short. What I thought must have been a burr at the bolt hole turns out to be defective mount. To make maters worse, the poorly manufactured mount damaged the gear leg at the lower bearing surface.

Van's has asked me to box up the engine mount and send it and the newly damaged gear leg back to them. They will be able to fix the engine mount but aren't sure what they will do with the gear leg.

This will set me back another month at a minimum.

I have found the rebuild to be much more frustrating than the original build.

Now to talk my wife into helping me get the engine mount off and install it again when it is returned. Maybe after the holidays we will have the time to take it off and send it back. Ugggg...

Bummer! I had trouble trying to install my tailwheel. Sounds like a similar deal. You would think Van's would use a go-no-go gauge on that sort of thing.

You should be getting your powerplant soon. That should give you something to do while you wait for Van's. I must say that they have the slowest shipping. Don't rush the build. I am hoping to install my mount this weekend. I am waiting for some parts from Van's, so it may be after the 1st of the year.

Last edited:
After struggling to install my engine mount it was time to slide the gear legs into place and put the plane back on its feet. What I thought would take an hour at the most has taken much longer than that will take even longer.

The left leg slid right into place with no problem but that was not the case with the right leg.

The gear leg would almost slide all the way in but would hang up about a 1/2" short. What I thought must have been a burr at the bolt hole turns out to be defective mount. To make maters worse, the poorly manufactured mount damaged the gear leg at the lower bearing surface.

Van's has asked me to box up the engine mount and send it and the newly damaged gear leg back to them. They will be able to fix the engine mount but aren't sure what they will do with the gear leg.

This will set me back another month at a minimum.

I have found the rebuild to be much more frustrating than the original build.

Now to talk my wife into helping me get the engine mount off and install it again when it is returned. Maybe after the holidays we will have the time to take it off and send it back. Ugggg...

Bill,
I'll be passing through (twice) over the holidays...once on the 23rd (to Smithfield) and again on the 27th (home). I could stop by and give you a hand with the mount if you want. Give me a call at 770-714-3515 or PM me.

Moose,

Thanks for the offer but the in-laws will be here through the holidays and I have to work.

My father-in-law might be able to help, depending on what we are going to do but I doubt we will have the time. :(

The GAP Whirlwind prop arrived today. The spinner and hub looked great but upon closer inspection of the hub I realized it is milled for the wrong size drive lugs. A number of phone calls and emails were exchanged between myself, Kevin at American Propellers, and Sam at Saber to make sure I was going to get 3/4" drive lugs for my O-360 and of course that wasn't what I received so it is getting boxed up and sent back.

With all the problems I'm having getting the correct undamaged parts I'm about to sell the thing as is. Ugggg.... This is driving me crazy!

This weekend I hope to pull the engine mount, box it up, and get it and my damaged gear leg ready to send back to Van's.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks Bill! Hang in there. You still have to put the engine together, that'll take some time while you wait for the corrected parts.

Back