What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy seal.

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
I am in the process of doing a full panel upgrade. Since i got my canopy off i am curious on what are you guys using as a front seal for the canopy, i don't plan to fy in the rain, but it could be parked and one day rain. I have had any season it and i can feel lots of air blowing in. If you guys have a suggestion please send the link or the name of the seal style. thanks

Foam seal

I used some closed cell foam with adhesive on one side to stop leaks. A roll of window seal from Lowe's Aircraft worked for me.

Aircraftdoorseals

I used the RV7 product from this company and it does the trick nicely but it’s over priced for what it is. Once installed I poured a glass of water over the tip up joint and no leaks. Off I went in search of rain and flew in it for an hour. No leaks.

I riveted pieces of thin aluminum over the gaps for the canopy hinges and sealed the entire front bulkhead with silicone. I don’t have the jettison feature.

B3594-DC0-5015-44-A7-9-CCE-D256-E91-BE7-E4.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing a full panel upgrade. Since i got my canopy off i am curious on what are you guys using as a front seal for the canopy, i don't plan to fy in the rain, but it could be parked and one day rain. I have had any season it and i can feel lots of air blowing in. If you guys have a suggestion please send the link or the name of the seal style. thanks

I had looked and tried several seals, but due to the design and available space between surfaces, the teflon teardrop seal from Vans has been my best fit. It has a good seal for the pressure and a low linear compression force. The section of the canopy frame on the sides back to the canopy rail joint took a thicker material. I got it at the big box store, sorry no specs. It was a foam extrusion.

Beware there is a one year use-by date on the tear drop. I did find alternative sourcing but Vans has the right length for the job. Just ask for inspection of the production date before ordering. The use-by date is based on the adhesive.

Unfortunately for all its positives, this Vans design is lacking in a robust seal design and the instructions did not reach my brain for understanding of the importance of a precision gap around the perimeter of the frame for sealing.

My frame is .040" too large on the right. :eek: A bridge was made to carry across the hinges on front, and pro-seal was used to fill all the little holes from the cut-and-bent sub panel. Also in spite of my efforts in achieving a super exterior look and fit for the skins, my skin to sub panel spacers are likely a source for water intrusion not addressed by the teardrop seal. (sad)

You can see there are a lot of details to be addressed for sealing, and would be a labor of love to address the issues after it is flying.

The good news . . . .After years of thinking and working with the canopy I am pretty sure I can make the next one built fit, and seal, perfectly.

Take a look at this • Canopy replacement seal: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...M-Medium-Gap-Weatherseal-Tape-V25WA/100017014

Worked for some...

Yep...worked for me. I used frost king, in black, but any EPDM seal will work. On a couple ends I needed to reinforce the adhesive with Permatex "right stuff". Also, instead of fabricating a strip to seal the canopy hinge I just bridged the gap with seal.

The seal has held up really well and stopped all leaks, air and water, but I do see the need to replace it every couple years. The canopy closed pretty tight initially but then I kept it closed to break in the seal and now it has just the right amount of resistance.

I found some teardrop on amazon its 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick(teardrop) can anyone confirm that this is the correct size? thanks

Back