What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Gotcha

asw20c

Well Known Member
I just confirmed with Vans another error in the plans. On page 31-05 figure 1 shows the AN833-6D (the elbow fuel fitting that penetrates the firewall) clocked up 25 degrees from horizontal. On page 31-11 figures 2 and 3 have very different clocking angles for this same fitting depending on whether you are building the taildragger or tri-gear. The clocking angle found on page 31-05 IS NOT CORRECT. Use the clocking angle appropriate for your build found on page 31-11 instead.
I'll be adding this to the Gotcha sticky.

Wow.....the plans are so detailed they tell you how to clock fittings??

Whatever happened to building an airplane? :D

Wow.....the plans are so detailed they tell you how to clock fittings??

Whatever happened to building an airplane? :D
I agree! :D

A late friend of mine that built two RV-4s was pretty stunned at my 2003 vintage RV-8 kit - I can't imagine his reaction to the RV-14. One tip I've given a lot of builders is to look at the RV-14 plans - they can help even on non-RV-14 models. They are really good.

I think they went a little overboard here...

Depends on your perspective I guess......

If you keep in mind that the RV-14(A) is a very complete kit with every design aspect done for the builder in advance (assuming they don't choose to go off trail and make any changes). So the firewall fwd kit will come with parts (in this case a fuel hose) that will only fit if all of its associated parts are installed correctly (and it helps pump up the egos of all the earlier builders that had to work through this type of detail on their own ;))

Uh huh. For those with any more smart *** comments, it is impossible to know which way this fitting should be pointed unless you are familiar with the firewall forward kit already. Most of us aren't. And since you install it with gorilla snot to seal around the fitting, it takes more than simply disconnecting the fuel line and loosening the nut.
I'm hoping I am saving someone some headache down the road by pointing the error out in the plans. Good on ya for trivializing an attempt to help out fellow builders.

Uh huh. For those with any more smart *** comments, it is impossible to know which way this fitting should be pointed unless you are familiar with the firewall forward kit already. Most of us aren't. And since you install it with gorilla snot to seal around the fitting, it takes more than simply disconnecting the fuel line and loosening the nut.
I'm hoping I am saving someone some headache down the road by pointing the error out in the plans. Good on ya for trivializing an attempt to help out fellow builders.

Thank you, I certainly appreciate all and any heads up on issues like this.

I figured there was more to it but could not resist a little friendly ribbing of you RV-14 guys. :)

Back