What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMC 305

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Can the G5 with the GMC 305 A/P control panel drive existing Trutrak servos? According the the Q&A on the Spruce GMC 305 page it can but I cannot find any reference to this in any G3/G5 manuals I can find.

Thinking of replacing my Trutrak Gemini with a G5/305 combination and drive it with my 796/SL30. It would obviously be a lot less cost and work if I can reuse the existing servos and wiring.

Thanks
Figs

I think you would need a GMC 507 since it connects via the canbus and the 305/307 units connect via serial and I?m not they are compatible with the G5

Spruce Q&A's are horribly inaccurate and as the company gets bigger the answers to questiins get worse.

You cannot use 3rd party servos with the Garmin GMC autopilot control panels.

The 305/307 can control a Garmin autopilot when combined with a G5. I think the GMC 305/307 is wired to one Garmin GSA 28 autopilot servo via RS+232 and then the GSA servo forwards the commands to the CAN Bus. But again only proprietary Garmin equipment works.

I think any autopilot can follow NMEA signals from a portable navigator. However, for the most features including VNAV and smooth seamless operation a Garmin portable works best with the G5 autopilot setup.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim
Thanks for the input, kind of what I suspected from reading the manual on the Garmin site.

Back to the drawing board :)
Figs

Back