What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Safety Latch for Non Standard Latch System

Sandrews

Well Known Member
There's a SB for the door safety Latch but looks kinda hanky. I know Planearound makes a kit, but is it only for the stock door latch system? I have flush mount handles and a different latching system.

Thanks
Seth

Van's safety latch is "hanky" on its best day. I have fixed a door hat came open that had that latch on it. What are your handles like on the inside? A safety strap is the ONLY safety system that has been tested in flight and works.

Door latches

A safety strap is good if you catch your door early and you are not distracted while flying. If you want to easily close your door on the ground before takeoff the PlaneAround Latch works well. The purpose of the PlaneAround latch is to make sure the pins go in the sockets and to have more pin extension than stock. It is not made for closing the door in flight. The doors should never be open in flight. If you plan on that you should have a strap and hope you catch it before it rips off and that's while your flying the plane. Also it takes two hands to close the door with the strap and turn the handle.

The aftermarket flush handles have mechanical interference after around 90 degrees of rotation which equates to one inch of linear pin travel. They are heavy and have a lot of friction. Having 180 gives you two inches of linear travel and enough to use the center cam to pull the door in before the pins come out of the doors. The Aerosport products low profile handle looks great, it is lockable, and it works with 180 degrees of travel. This is the combination I have on my RV10. If you have questions on the doors even if your not buying the planearound latch feel free to call me. Sean 801-580-3737

Back