What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Nexus 7 and Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B Receiver

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
I have used the combination of Garmin Pilot, running on the Nexus 7 tablet, since both were introduced in 2012. For pennies on the dollar, you can have free traffic and weather, overlaid on a moving map sectional, running on a superior Android tablet.

Google just introduced a new and improved Nexus 7. It is faster, thinner, and has an unbelievably bright and clear HD screen that blows every other tablet out of the market. So, after a year of happiness with the old tablet, I upgraded...

...And killed my free traffic and weather! The new tablet appeared to be connecting to the GDL-39, but no data was being shared to the Garmin Pilot app.

After extensive experimentation and troubleshooting with Garmin tech support, we have discovered the solution, which I share with y'all, below:
Problem:
New Nexus 7 2013, running Garmin Pilot, cannot connect to Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver.

Symptoms:
Nexus 7 appears to successfully pair with GDL-39. However, no data is streamed to the Garmin Pilot app. No GPS, or ADS-B data, is received.

In other words, it's paired but not really.

Solution:
1. Go to Google Play store, and download the free Garmin GDL-39 configuration app. IGNORE THE ADVICE THAT SAYS "YOU DON'T NEED THIS APP IF YOU ALREADY HAVE GARMIN PILOT". You need it.

2. Pair the Nexus 7 with the GDL-39. It really IS paired, it just can't communicate with the app, until you...

3. Using the configuration app (which inexplicably CAN communicate with the GDL-39 via Bluetooth, even though the app itself cannot) download and install the latest firmware into the GDL-39. They are at Ver 2.8. Mine was still on Ver 2.2. (Note that you must be connected to WiFi to download the latest firmware with this app.)

4. Once complete, force stop Garmin Pilot, and cycle the power on/off to the GDL-39.

5. Restart both. In a minute or two, it will automatically connect without touching anything at all.

I also had to go to my subscription page (in the Garmin Pilot app) and let it find my account before a connection could be fully established.

Note that you MUST have WiFi to receive/install the firmware update. Since my GDL-39 is semi-permanently installed in my plane, and it requires ship's power to work, that meant setting up a WiFi hotspot at my hangar.

Whew, what an ordeal. Moral of the story: Keep your firmware up to date! Just cuz it worked flawlessly with the old tablet doesn't mean it will work on the new tablet -- unless you've got the newest firmware version installed in the GDL-39.

What? You don't have wifi in your hanger?
:-}

Looks like he does now :p

BTW, good to hear the new Nexus 7's display screen is a winner. I've been holding off on buying any kind of tablet for a while, but might have to seriously consider this one as soon as my wallet recovers a bit from that propeller replacement.

Looks like he does now :p

BTW, good to hear the new Nexus 7's display screen is a winner. I've been holding off on buying any kind of tablet for a while, but might have to seriously consider this one as soon as my wallet recovers a bit from that propeller replacement.

While it is not fully sunlight readable (in the sense of, for example, an AvMap or Garmin 696) the Nexus 7 is by FAR the most sunlight readable consumer tablet on the market.

This is what it looks like in FULL sunlight:
1157506_559788467390385_1092870587_n.jpg

As you can see, it's still readable. This is a huge step up from the old Nexus 7 or current iPads. And, since most of the time you're not in DIRECT sunlight, even in my -8A, it's very usable.

Jay - I'm coming to Port A tomorrow for the day. I'll be flying in with my 9. I'd like to stop in and look at your Nexus and your 8A if you have time. Also any recommendations for the Dolphin boats and seafood restaurant? Ted

Just want to throw out another data point on the Nexus 7 2013. I bought one and the GPS would not work right out of the box. I went to the Google forums and found literally hundreds of folks with similar GPS problems. Google Play tech support walked me through a factory reset and basically dropped me when this didn't help. I'm returning mine today. YMMV.

-John

Google just introduced a new and improved Nexus 7. It is faster, thinner, and has an unbelievably bright and clear HD screen that blows every other tablet out of the market. So, after a year of happiness with the old tablet, I upgraded...

Tonight Google released an OTA update for the Android OS that fixes the problem with the Nexus 7 (2013)'s internal GPS.

If you have a Nexus 7, and you're connected to WiFi, it will update automatically. :D

I have used the combination of Garmin Pilot, running on the Nexus 7 tablet, since both were introduced in 2012. For pennies on the dollar, you can have free traffic and weather, overlaid on a moving map sectional, running on a superior Android tablet.
Whew, what an ordeal. Moral of the story: Keep your firmware up to date! Just cuz it worked flawlessly with the old tablet doesn't mean it will work on the new tablet -- unless you've got the newest firmware version installed in the GDL-39.

Hi, I hust bought a GDL 39 to use with my Nexus 7 (2012) and I am having similar problems with BT comm. I do have the "GDL Utility" (not configuration) installed in the Nexus and I do not see how to download and update the Firmware. Or how to find the Version number!
Can you walk me thru the steps that led to your solution? Thanks

Hi, I hust bought a GDL 39 to use with my Nexus 7 (2012) and I am having similar problems with BT comm. I do have the "GDL Utility" (not configuration) installed in the Nexus and I do not see how to download and update the Firmware. Or how to find the Version number!
Can you walk me thru the steps that led to your solution? Thanks

Sure! Remember to have your N7 connected to wifi before starting this procedure.

1. Turn on Bluetooth on the N7.
2. Open the GDL Utility.
3. Make sure your GDL-39 is powered up.
4. Put your N7's Bluetooth into "search" or "pairing" mode. You may have to push the button on the GDL-39 to get it to go into pairing mode, too.

Once the two units have paired, you should be golden. You may have to make a choice to get the download started, but if I remember right it was pretty much automatic.

Remember -- you MUST be connected to WiFi (with your N7) in order to download the latest/greatest GDL-39 firmware. This was the hardest part, for me, since I've got my GDL-39 installed semi-permanently in our RV-8A, and we don't have wifi at our hangar.

I solved the problem by making my cell phone into a wifi hotspot (using an app called "PDA-Net", which works great, BTW), and letting the firmware update through/via that connection.

Technology. It sucks sometimes. :D

Back