- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Default Any issues with a Mattituck I/O 320 160 Hp

I'm fairly new to this forum so please forgive me if this information can be found elsewhere.

I'm looking at an RV9A to purchase and it has a Mattituck I/O 320 160 Hp with constant speed prop. Any information would be appreciated reference this engine, pros and cons.

Thanks,
Pat Moran
Old 05-01-2015, 07:13 PM

Good engine and good reputation.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 AM

Default TMX IO-320 performs great

I have 250 hours on my Mattituck IO-320. Nice engine. No issues.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 05-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Mattituck is near the top of my list of good engine shops. Their red gold engine is especially nice. I would be careful to inspect how it has been handled since it came from Mattituck, but if it has Mattituck's name on it, it was done right.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 AM

I purchased mine new from Mattituck because of their good reputation. Very happy with their knowledge and work. Mahlon Russel was the man who was their technical answer guy and he was very helpful on many occasions. He posts on this forum to answer questions from time to time. Like any other engine shop, they will build what you request so it is important to know some details about the engine. What cylinders and case, compression ratio, ignition etc. Even when built by great shops, depending on what parts were requested, each engine may be subject to specific Advisory Directives and Service Bulletins, so it's important to know the details about any engine you're looking at. In my case, as well as the engine was built, it became subject to the ECI AD about cylinder separation. I was lucky and was in the group that merely required inspections at annual but that is just dumb luck. All that said, Mattituck has a great reputation and I would say was considered one of the top 3 engine shops around. They closed down the shop in Long Island and they are now reborn somewhere else.

Tell us about the constant speed prop...who is the manufacturer? That way, folks with that make and model can give you their experiences. Mine is a WhirlWind 200RV and it required 3 warranty-covered reseals until I talked to the factory. They had me ship it back to them because the factory approved service place that I was sending it to was not shimming it correctly. After coming back from the factory it has been flawless and I'm very pleased with it.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2019 paid plus some for those who can't

Last edited by jjconstant : 05-02-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Default Mattituck

It is now Teledyne Mattituck in Mobile AL. Not much said about them since they closed the L I shop. There was an article in Kitplanes a few months ago.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:15 PM

Thanks to all that replied.
It's a two bladed MT constant speed prop.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:25 AM

Is Mahlon still connected to Teledyne? he was THE most helpfull guy when getting my engine, an absolute disaster when Teledyne Mattituck closed.

The worst thing,as I see it, is that the record of my engine has dissapeared, I recently had a question about the timing of my particular engine, and there was nowhere to go, had to make assumptions.

Last edited by PIN 37 : 05-17-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIN 37 View Post
Is Mahlon still connected to Teledyne? he was THE most helpfull guy when getting my engine, an absolute disaster when Teledyne Mattituck closed.

The worst thing,as I see it, is that the record of my engine has dissapeared, I recently had a question about the timing of my particular engine, and there was nowhere to go, had to make assumptions.
Mahlon is retired, and enjoying it apparently - I tried to convince him to write a column for me at Kitplanes, but he politely declined. Fortunately, he still contributes here and on other forums occasionally. A great resource!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com