What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wildlife strike

Strasnuts

Well Known Member
Thought I would share a wildlife strike which happened a few months ago..

I went up to the hangar with my dad Nyle to grab a couple of tools and check on the hangar. We decided to do a little trip in the ten so we blasted out toward Thunder Ridge which is an asphalt strip SE of 36U. It is over 7000 feet in elevation and really pretty. My friend Scott owns some land on the field. On the way there we noticed a lot of wildlife running around the mountain peaks. When the field came into view I did a low pass looking for wildlife, specifically noticing some birds orbiting above the field. I set up for landing in an idle flare. Three seconds after the landing my peripheral vision picked up something bad....a herd of mule deer running across the runway. I mashed on the brakes until they locked up and WHAM! right into the fourth deer. It was slo-mo and all my dad and I could do is watch a deer leg flying in the air about 30 feet high, slowly rotating. It was surreal. The engine slowly quit. I found my RPM was about 1100 when I sliced the deer and looking at the garmin SD card it shows a slow idle down until the engine couldn’t regain rpm. I stayed centerline and thought I trashed the plane. Not sure how I missed the other deer but all I hit was one. My dad and I got out of the plane and looked around at the carnage. I looked at the plane and at first glance it looked pretty unscathed. We measured the prop tip from the nose wheel pant and decided the prop was okay as far as we could tell. I walked to the deer which was still steaming out of it’s abdomen. I don’t mind eating animals and others hunting but personally I hate killing anything. I felt really bad about killing it. The prop passed through the back of the deer all the way to the stomach and then lopped off both back legs. Somehow I didn’t run it over and it was twisted 180 degrees in the middle section. I dragged the body off the runway into the weeds.
After we looked over the plane I came up with three places for closer inspection: the nose wheel pant was hit hard and paint flaked off the front, the cowling was hit hard enough to gouge the fiberglass and looked over the prop. I decided to start the airplane. The airplane started normally. I ran the prop up to full power and cycled it a few times. I did an extended run-up but found no problems. We cleared the runway and decided to go for it. The plane flew fine and vibration seemed normal. I circled over the runway until I was 14500 feet then hopped over to Heber. We landed and taxied to the hangar. It took a while to clean the aircraft. The smell was awful. I reported the strike to the FAA wildlife strike form online.
The next day I took the propeller off and sent it out for inspection. A few days later precision propeller stated I should replace the hub. Hartzell also wants you to replace the hub after any type of strike. The blades were fine. I guess at idle the blades don't have enough centrifugal force to keep them from damaging the hub. So high rpm's damage blades and low rpm's damage hubs. After I received the news I needed a new hub, I pulled the engine off and sent it out for prop strike inspection SB533B. The engine inspection came back clean without any damage. I was still glad I had sent it in for piece of mind. It's hard to put a price on that!

I have pics which are a little gory but interesting.
You can see my dog was freaked out a little when I returned.
24nqouu.jpg

34t3m84.jpg

n71xcw.jpg

2v8qxys.jpg

14kk481.jpg

qphwly.jpg

It was amazing to me nothing was damaged on the airplane, except paint.
Antennas, control surfaces etc.were unscathed..

Last edited:
Wow!

Glad you're okay. I would recommend doing an engine tear down inspection for sudden stoppage. Or, at the minimum, contacting the engine manufacturer to see what they recommend. There could be unseen damage that could lead to catastrophic engine failure at a later date.

Glad to hear you and you're Dad were OK. Things certainly could have turned out differently. As per his post he has already had the engine serviced for damage.

Engine teardown

Maybe not explained well enough above, I did send the engine in specifically for prop strike inspection which includes replacing the crank gear. Everything checked out okay from Aerosport Power where I originally bought the engine. I did everything that was recommended for the prop and the engine. That also includes prop governor overhaul and magneto inspection.

Wow. That is the one thing that scares the **** out of me at our airpark. It is completely over run with deer and no fence. Every approach starts with a look-see, not just at the runway but as far around as we can see. It is just an attempt to do what you can do. You're never going to see the 25 deer under the trees just 50' from the runway. Even though we have gobs of runway, we've decided that every landing for us should be with minimum stopping distance with maximum braking. I'm quite happy to replace brakes every year if we just barely miss a deer some day. Thanks for sharing your event. It looks and sounds much like I imagine.

Last edited:
maybe you need those deer whistles like my neighbor has on his car [how does anyone ever know if they actually work?] :)

Wow. That is the one thing that scares the **** out of me at our airpark. It is completely over run with deer and no fence. Every approach starts with a look-see, not just at the runway but as far around as we can see. It is just an attempt to do what you can do. You're never going to see the 25 deer under the trees just 50' from the runway. Even though we have gobs of runway, we've decided that every landing for us should be with minimum stopping distance with maximum braking. I'm quite happy to replace brakes every year if we just barely miss a deer some day. Thanks for sharing your event. It looks and sounds much like I imagine.

Wow that sounds terrible.

Deer is a fantastic freezer filler...compound bows are really quiet...I'm just saying.

Sean, good write up, thanks for putting it out there for folks to learn from.

Very glad you and most of the aircraft are undamaged by the event. Prop hub, well, it did better than the dear:rolleyes:

Folks, please please do not fly after a prop strike such as this. If your prop departs the airframe - or even a blade goes by itself - odds are you won't survive the ensuing aft CG condition you'll encounter when the engine wrenches itself free.

In Australia you are unairworthy immediately you run over a dog, deer, roo or errant fashion model, per the CAR's (CAR Part 39-106 AD/Eng/6). I don't think you'd be able to talk your way out of compliance with an AD such as that in the event something happened. Good luck trying though...

HERE's a Flight Safety article about a 210 that argued with a medium-sized dog followed by an 18 minute flight to a maintenance depot - and the state of the prop after landing! It is a salient reminder that just because something looks alright doesn't prove anything. We have maintenance procedures for a reason. Know what your engine and prop manufacturer requires after something like this, and comply with those requirements.

Last edited:
Insurance?

In general do insurance policies cover the cost of teardown, inspection, and/or repair of the prop and engine in these situations?

snip....HERE's a Flight Safety article about a 210 that argued with a medium-sized dog followed by an 18 minute flight to a maintenance depot - and the state of the prop after landing! ....snip.

THAT was a very enlightening read!!! Especially the last two pages.

Sean, I'm so glad you're OK.

b,
d

In general do insurance policies cover the cost of teardown, inspection, and/or repair of the prop and engine in these situations?

I believe it does. My partner had a prop-strike on a taxiway light (C-182). Insurance paid for everything but the 200$ deductible. New prop blade, hub, and engine tear down, inspect and rebuild.

I believe it does. My partner had a prop-strike on a taxiway light (C-182). Insurance paid for everything but the 200$ deductible. New prop blade, hub, and engine tear down, inspect and rebuild.

It all depends on your policy.

One of our chapter members found out he had a flat tire on landing and went off into the weeds. His prop hit some weeds but did not stop turning. He had to pull the mixture to kill the engine.

Because he had grass stains on the prop, his insurance paid for a tear down and inspection. They found some parts worn out of spec (unrelated to the "prop strike"), which he paid for but he did not have to pay for the gasket kit, labor, etc.

Strasnuts,
Good job keeping everything under control and glad no one got injured.
Hard to control deer around an open field and you just never know when they decide to jump across the runway.
People on the other hand should take note of the gory pictures before strolling
down the runway as is the case on our airpark and many others.
Had a guy on a motorized wheel chair dressed in a dark grey jacket scooting down the runway not long ago.
Couldn't get myself to complain to someone in a wheelchair but those pictures might help next time I see him.

On a lighter note: I hope you found a way to "Propellerly" dispose of that carcase......

Glad you are ok and you made it home safely. I must say though the flight home was the most dangerous event of the day. Your airplane regardless of how inconvenient needed to be grounded on the spot. This could have very easily turned into something much worse. Not intending to specifically criticize but we must all learn from these events. There is no prop strike regardless of how minor that will allow you to fly away from.

...Learn from this post. Let ME say I shouldn't have flown from the runway:eek:
It takes a brave man to admit they made a mistake and encourage others to learn from it.

Well done for the admission and bringing the discussion into the open.

Back