What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bevelling Techniques

CDBridgesRV7A

Good Morning,

I have 2 wing skins that overlap one another. The plans call for them to both be bevelled. What is the best technique to do this?

Thanks

Chris

I used a belt sander. Masked off the area wi several layers of tape to prevent collateral damage and measured the skin as I went with calipers. Once each piece was approximately half the thickness I was there. Need to make sure you are even I. Your pressure as the edge will not stay uniform in thickness without some concerts effort.

+1 on the belt sander technique. A good sharp file can be used for the last bit, but it's pretty slow for the whole process.

Charlie

A vixen file makes pretty fast work of beveling the edge. I used a sander back when I did my wings, but tried out the file (as suggested by Ken @ Vans) when I was working the forward bottom skin on the fuse. The file was much faster and left a better finish that required less smoothing.

Sharpie

IIRC, I put them on the wing and then used a sharpie to mark the overlap on both sides. Then you can see exactly how far to bevel.

YMMV,

Bart

Don't you have to bevel the entire length of the skin in order to have a smooth transition from one to the other? This is my W702 and W703 skins (the upper inboard and outboard skins)

Chris

Back