What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stab Problem

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I have been working on the installation of the vertical stab. Per Drawing 78 I trimmed the VS 702 9/16 of an inch and installed the F884 attach plate and F885 Spacer. The Aft holes are drilled dead on the drawing dimensions and when installed the Stab is perfectly vertical. I however have an interferance problem when re-installing the vertical stab after the aft skin is installed. The forward edge of the VS contacts the skin and the lower bolt holes in the F884 attach plate are still off by more than half the hole diameter...obviously something is not right...should the forward point of the vertical stab be trimmed to remove the interferance? Has anyone encountered this problem?

I had to trim the front part of the VS skin to clear the aft fuselage skin. I thought it was mentioned in the building instructions, or on the plans somewhere. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Seems to be a common theme. I had to trim the skin and a tad of the bottom rib to clear the turtledeck skin on mine. Just watch the edge distances of the rivets of the VS skin in the lower rib as you trim.

Hi Burke..

...you have a lot of wiggle room there because the fairing covers several inches of the lower part of the fin.

Best,

I had to trim the front part of the VS skin to clear the aft fuselage skin. I thought it was mentioned in the building instructions, or on the plans somewhere. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

I did (and remember) the exact same thing - I am sure it's in the manual to trim that VS skin as required. The Emp fairing covers all sins here....

Update

I called Van's this morning and they confirmed that trimming the front of the VS is the way to go...not an uncommon problem...thanks for the responses everyone...best to ask questions before putting cutting tool to metal...

VAF is awesome

I literally almost threw up this afternoon when I put my VS on and had this problem, VS front skin contacting fuselage and holes a half diameter off. I clearly remembered leveling, measuring, re-leveling, remeasuring to ensure this thing was right. I was having visions/nightmares of building a new VS. Fortunately, I called it quits for the before taking any drastic measures.

I can sleep now. Thanks VAF!

Back