What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated Pitot tube-recommendations?

The Wizzard

Well Known Member
What seems to be the "preferred" heated pitot tube for the planes? I am build an RV-8 though that should not make a difference.

Ditto - but that may make sense only if you use a Dynon EFIS. I'm not aware of any other EFIS units that have been shown to provide AOA from the Dynon pitot system as of yet.

at 400 for the heated version, i don't think the efis/AOA should even be a factor of consideration, it's *still* cheaper than competition w/out the aoa

The price I see today is $450 for the Dynon heated and $425 for the Gretz heated. So not really less than at least one popular alternative.

I went with the Gretz because I'm doing AFS aoa, though that shifted from the efis aoa to the separate since now I'm planning on dual g3x displays, but I also liked that the Gretz is paintable and a bit smaller - front to back, and the circuit board. What finally shifted me was the ability to copy Matt Dralle and wire the Gretz indicator into a VP200 for status and control though the 200's screens.

Haven't used it yet, and I understand that some early versions had QC issues with the circuit board, but haven't read any messages about that from at least the last few years.

Last edited:
Heated Pitot

I was stunned at the price of heated pitots! Unfortunately I had an old Aircraft Spruce catalog when the AN5812 surplus units were still listed at about $200, but when I went to buy one - no longer available and sticker shock.

I decided to buy a used Cessna heated pitot which was about $200. Also used a SafeAir1 steel pitot mast about $45. The Cessna pitots are used on 150/152 and 172 and probably most other models. The pitot is aluminum which polished up well and the heater element is replaceable.

I'll be using Van's stall warning switch and the EFIS derived AOA.

FS Aero Heated Pitot AN5812

I have a new Aero Pitot Tube Model Number AN 5812 P/N PH502-12-CR 12V. It comes with original packing, mounting screws and instructions. I'm changing plans and using the Dynon AOA tube. I'll sell this one for $385 including shipping to the contiguous USA.

Heated Pitot tube-remcomendations?

A little detour to provide added info on the thread, the Dynon Pitot can be used on the MGL EFIS systems, my buddy (RV-7A) has one installed. Dan

thanks for all the help

I think I am going to go with the gretz model. The mounting seems simple enough and can be used universally.

Just for reference. I have the Dynon heated pitot. I have had problems with it icing up in IMC 4 times. I have contaced Dynon and had it replaced once and it still ices up. It happens when I am up high and very cold and I don't think it is the tube that is icing up but that there is not an adequate water drain hole. It lets water get past the heated parts and then it freezes up in the wing. I am looking to replace it with a used cessna tube or perhaps a falcon.
Floyd

Floyd, thanks for the intell, I think I am going to use the Gretz tube although the Falcon is a great one as well.

Just for reference. I have the Dynon heated pitot. I have had problems with it icing up in IMC 4 times.

Floyd, are you using that heated pitot with a Dynon EFIS? If so, how did the EFIS perform when the pitot was iced up? Did it go into its "GPS assist" mode and if so, how was the attitude information? (Perhaps this was your first indication it was iced up.)

Thanks,
Joe

I am asking this question not to be smart or to criticize. I am really curious if it is normal practice or not....Is it wise to fly an RV in the soup above the freezing level anyway? Seems that RV's are far from being capable of handling icing conditions so how does this impact their usability in IMC?

I am asking this question not to be smart or to criticize. I am really curious if it is normal practice or not....Is it wise to fly an RV in the soup above the freezing level anyway? Seems that RV's are far from being capable of handling icing conditions so how does this impact their usability in IMC?

could be descending through a thin layer, lots of ways he could have encountered this without being necessarily out of operating conditions

I fly with a GRT Hx. When the pitot gets plugged the efis continues to function without a problem. The indicated airspeed drops off and the efis starts to show greater and greater tail winds as the efis calculates the ground speed against the indicated airspeed. All other parts of the efis are unaffected.

When I go through IMC in sub zero conditions I keep a back door ie above freezing below and visual conditions below. I find that with the performance of the rv and good back doors you can get on top (as long as you know where the reported tops are). What ice is picked up sublimates off. It is not unusual for me to travel in the flight levels to stay above layers. I do not stay in the clouds but am always searching for layers and tops and change altitudes readily. If I begin to pick up ice my first move is usually up I do not stay in it.

I know flying in possible icing conditions is controversial. Some will not fly through any cloud that is below freezing level. Others will look for ways to mitigate risks. The question of the thread was about heated pitot tubes. I felt it would be benificial to have data points in actual conditions. I have lost indicated airspeed with no air frame icing at all just very cold with ice crystals in the air. Dynon is a very good company and they have been responsive to me in replacing the tube. I could be wrong but in my opinion there is still a design flaw that does not hold up to actual conditions. But then again perhaps no tube does all the time hence the dual tubes on commercial.

Also as another data point. TT VSGV loses vertical control with no or low indicated airspeed (as it should). The wing level still works

Hope this helps
Floyd

well...

a little different here... the Piper Flat Blade, pitot heated and static in one. FWIW, I would not install a heated pilot if I did it over again, does nothing for me.

a little different here... the Piper Flat Blade, pitot heated and static in one. FWIW, I would not install a heated pilot if I did it over again, does nothing for me.

Depends on the mission. I'm installing a heated pitot again. I have switched it on a handful of times and was glad it was there.

I have a used cessna style heated pitot that I want to sell. I bought it from Wentworth when I was building, but ended up with the Dynon pitot when I went with the D-180. $200, shipped in the U.S. It definitely heats up when connected to a 12v power source.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tneidinger/Forsale03?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCDjvj-w_T6DA#5530201312695225618

Todd Neidinger
RV-9 Flying IO-360

G'day Todd: I am looking for an inexpensive heated pitot 12V for some backup to my unheated one on a Skyfox CA22. Do you still have your "cessna-style" one for sale? If so, would you post USPS flat rate International to Australia. I too am shocked at the price of new units.
I fly in Tasmania and got into some ice the other day and thought some heat on the pitot would be a good thing!
Regards Carl

Back