What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight on RV-10) (SN 40838) C-GMDV

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
On Monday June 28, 2010 I added another wonderful airplane to our growing fleet of RV-10s. At about 2:30 in the afternoon C-GMDV Lifted off runway 26 at Waterloo Regional airport CYKF.

This project took 26 months and just over 2300 hours to complete to this pre-paint stage. The test flight went very well and the RV Grin is still intact 2days and 5 hours of flight time later.

A special thank you to my friend and flying buddy Art Penner for his tremendous help throughout the build. He also made the first flight video for Utube which can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFejOQ1oMGc

A picture album can be seen here http://ivankristensen.phanfare.com/4732399#imageID=103632705

Art_Ivan.jpg

Ivan.jpg

The ineviatable "RV grin"

Congratulations Ivan!! I have been waiting to hear this good news. Have fun!!

Best regards,

Oshkosh.

Thanks guys, this is a very exciting time in deed. To answer your question Bob, no only one RV is going to OSH. can you guess which on ?

FANTASTIC WORK IVAN

What great news Ivan. I know you and Art have been waiting for that day. I am really going to miss not talking and e-mailing you about the build....I guess we will have talk and e-mail about destinations now.
I hope we see you at Oshkosh.

Great accomplishment!

Great accomplishment Ivan!
Congratulations.
That first flight is an exhilarating experience isn't it?
The big RV Grin says it all.

Go Team Futaba

Great news Ivan. From one Team Futaba Member to another. That makes 3 Team members that I know of that are also RVers.

Congrats!

Way to go Ivan!

Man you're fast. I still haven't got my tail kit yet. A possible (95% sure) relocation for work has put quite a damper on things. Get the house ready to sell won over get the RV started.

Nice 10 Ivan !

I used to see you and your planes in the K-Factor and other model magazines, it's great to see your full scale work, it looks just as nice.
Best Wishes from a former pattern pilot.

Nice job, glad all went well. We are scheduled for final inspection Saturday (finally got some seat belts). Hopefully ours will lift off next week, but hopefully on a calmer day then you had.
Have fun, be safe.
Ron

Nice job and good to see all went well. No shortage of paddocks to land in if the noise stops.

Way to go....not your typical first flight wind level but you handled it well it looks like!

Ivan,

Well done. These machines never get boring to fly....yet they are almost sort of boring, no nasty vices....just great performers.

I have to ask a question of you guys, and I see it a lot in the USA, but not once yet in Oz....Why do a lot of you fly them before they are finished i.e. paint, interior trim etc?

I can understand leaving wheel pants and fairings off so you can check things easier.

We painted all the fairings, pants, wings etc and the fuse before taking it to the hangar for assembly.

Just a different approach?:confused:

Regards
David

PS... 1 year almost to the minute from our first flight! Have done 232 hours (airborne) in that time, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours!

Last edited:
July 3rd first flight

Finally we are about to leave the earth's surface tomorrow morning. 595RV is everything I thought it would be. Great design! Great friends and understanding wife!
Randy;)

Why do a lot of you fly them before they are finished i.e. paint, interior trim etc?

I'm nowhere near that point yet, but I plan on flying sans paint. Why? Because I expect to figure out that I got some things wrong (or at least, not just right) during my flight tests. Perhaps a trim tab is needed. Maybe I'll figure out a better layout for map pockets in the cabin. It is much easier to change things around when you are not worried about ruining a perfect paint job or interior.

Chris

fair enough.......or just plan it right from the start! ;)

I have come to the conclussion though the Rv is a known quantity if planned right you can paint it and almost forget it.

I have to say they are a pretty impressive kit compared to anything else I have have seen so far.

Look forward to meeting a few of you guys and girls at Oshkosh :)

DB

In all honesty....

I have to ask a question of you guys, and I see it a lot in the USA, but not once yet in Oz....Why do a lot of you fly them before they are finished i.e. paint, interior trim etc?

Regards
David

PS... 1 year almost to the minute from our first flight! Have done 232 hours (airborne) in that time, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours!

....we Yanks are an impatient lot!:)

We're so used to instant gratification, that waiting for paint is a meaningless endeavour since the airplane is now flyable....so why wait.

Best,

fair enough.......or just plan it right from the start! ;)

I have come to the conclussion though the Rv is a known quantity if planned right you can paint it and almost forget it.

They ARE a known quality, and very little if any modifcations are required after paint. I've been around plenty in the last 16 years, and am well aware of that fact. Paint is just a lot of additional work, as those of us who have done it, know; or a lot of "cash" to someone else. My point of view, is to paint now and get it over with. Many un-painted RV's just seem to stay that way for a long, long time.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (still needs paint on my rudder's little trim tab :eek:)

As per usual....Pierre has hit the nail on the head
nail2.gif

Mr Adamson.....I think I know of which you speak....:p the old "Why do today what I can put off till tomorrow" trick. Funny how two bits of paper, some masking tape and a quick squirt of paint, can take years!

Back