What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AV8OR ACE - what's the scoop?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
anyone have more info on this new unit?
I'd like to see if it will display and HSI in horizontal mode, but screen shots are hard to find!
At a list of $1799 or so, I see some serious competition for Garmin!.....but we need some Pireps on this!

Nice. They didn't mention Wx/Traffic from an ADS/B receiver. Does anyone know if this will work, or is this another device aimed at getting you hooked on the next-to-useless XM Radio?

I am wondering what the approach plate/enroute chart update service will cost. Has anyone seen the rates yet?

They're really not doing a good job capitalizing on all the buzz. Buried in the FAQ on their site is that it includes a PDF viewer, so I imagine you'd be able to view plates for free.

Q: What eBook formats does AV8OR ACE? support?
A: *.txt format is currently supported, plus new for the AV8OR ACE? is a .PDF file viewer.
https://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR/ACE/faqs.html

The way they demonstrate your position superimposed on an approach chart or airport diagram would have to be some other piece of functionality, I would imagine much like the 696, with a similar update fee.

-Rob

I am wondering what the approach plate/enroute chart update service will cost. Has anyone seen the rates yet?

Poking through the links I found this:

http://www.seattleavionics.com/Products.aspx#gpm1_6

The subscriptions look about "normal cost." That doesn't bother me for what they give in functionality, but I really would not buy this product if it won't display the ADS/B info. Paying for that info now that it is free would be a waste of money.

Hi folks....my name is Clark and I work with the Bendix/King AV8OR family, I can help answer your questions.

The AV8OR ACE does not (currently) display an HSI but that is an often requested feature which should be incorporated in the future.

Wx/Traffic from an ADS/B receiver is not currently in the works. However we will continue to look at ADS/B receivers which may be compatible, and if it works out we will consider an update in the future.

A one-year subscription for IFR charts is $399 a year. There are other related products available. Please check out the link below for more information:

http://www.seattleavionics.com/av8or/Pricing.aspx

Yes there is a PDF viewer, and you can certainly download a PDF file for viewing but keep in mind: (1) the PDF viewer application is included within the "multimedia" capability, meaning you have to exit "GoFly" before you can enter the viewer, and (2) any scanned-in PDF charts will not be geo-referenced.

If you want to find out more you are certainly invited to ask....also we have some great information on our website https://www.bendixking.com/AV8OR/ACE/index.html

Many thanks,
Clark

Questions

Clark, I'm very interested in replacing my 496 with the ACE. My question relate to installation and mounting.

Do you have any pictures of the supplied mounts? Are you working with any other vendors (such as RAM) on alternate mounts?

Wiring - will BK make a pigtail power cable available or will I just need to take the cigarette lighter adapter and cut off the plug? What about a data cable for a GPS output?

Is there difference in reliability between the Bluetooth & RS232 weather inputs?

Quote "Yes there is a PDF viewer, and you can certainly download a PDF file for viewing but keep in mind: (1) the PDF viewer application is included within the "multimedia" capability, meaning you have to exit "GoFly" before you can enter the viewer, and (2) any scanned-in PDF charts will not be geo-referenced. "

Clarke
If you can make a scanned in pdf geo-referenced in a future update this would be a killer advantage

John

"Exit" doesnt mean "Closed"

The GoFly application doesnt have to be totally closed to use the PDF Viewer. While GoFly is running, you can hit the Menu button to go to the main menu and then go to the PDF Viewer. When done, go back to the main menu and when you press the GoFly button, the GoFly application will still be running. Still several keystrokes, but you dont have to wait for the GoFly application to start up again. What would be nice is if the Menu button would cycle through the Main Menu, then the GoFly application (if open) so you can get back to GoFky fast.

Resolution

I looked closely at this last week at Oshkosh and liked the ease and functionality but the screen resolution leaves a lot of room for improvement. In order to put a full IAP on the screen you will have lots of trouble reading the text on it. Zooming in is better but while on an approach the last thing I want to do is start zooming and moving my approach plate around. There are some new EFB's out and many have built in GPS or are able to add them on for geo-referencing.

Hi folks, hope this answers some of your recent questions

The standard mount that comes with the unit is a RAM mount made for the AV8OR ACE. It includes a suction cup mount, an arm with the ball and socket, a clamp mount, and a cradle to hold the unit.

The AV8OR ACE comes with a standard cigarette lighter adapter as well as a single USB cable.

Is there difference in reliability between the Bluetooth & RS232 weather inputs? No, both are fully functional.

Can the ACE drive the autopilot and recv. weather simultaneously? Yes. You can take advantage of the bluetooth connection to the weather box with a single usb interface cable (standard), OR you can purchase an optional dual USB interface cable for about $30 - new to the AV8OR ACE.

Thanks for the input, comments, and questions - it really does help us shape our future changes, upgrades, and features!

Clark

AV80R ace - Private Airports Database

I purchased the AV80r ace and am quite happy with it. The functionality and usability is very good.

There are only a few things I miss:

1) HSI - it would be very nice to get an HSI display like Garmin does. Very useful. Bendix/King, are you listening - this would be a great SW update!

2) Private airports. I would like very much to have the small private strips available for areas in which I fly. It turns out it is pretty easy to import them into the user database once you figure out the format. I am slowly putting in the OR private airports I care about. It occurs to me that this would be a great thing for people to share. If they were organized by state - it would be very easy to download the database for the states of interest. So - anybody interested in putting together a shareware private airports database for the AV80r / AV80r Ace?

N144SH
2001 RV-4

Absolutely listening! When you mention the "HSI" are you referring to the GPS-based "panel page" or something more like a partial compass display on the map?

We have heard about the private airports as well.......and have some ideas to toss around with the development teams.

Thanks for the feedback!
Clark

Is ADS-B affordable...

Nice. They didn't mention Wx/Traffic from an ADS/B receiver. Does anyone know if this will work, or is this another device aimed at getting you hooked on the next-to-useless XM Radio?

Do you know of an affordable ADS-B receiver that could provide weather at a lower total cost than XM radio?

Do you know of an affordable ADS-B receiver that could provide weather at a lower total cost than XM radio?

Not just yet, but I'm guessing that MGL will figure it out quicker than about anyone else.

<<<HINT - Ranier!!!>>>

Really, once someone comes up with inexpensive software to display the data then an inexpensive receiver will be a GOLD MINE for whoever comes up with it first. Especially if you could do something tricky like reverse-engineer the data signal provided by XM Weather and re-configure the ADS-B data to simulate that data stream for all of the x96 GPSes and other equipment already in the field...

I could see someone easily selling 100,000 such units in the U.S.

:D

Oregon private use airports database

I have all of the Oregon private use airports available for the AV8Or ace if anybody needs it.

Now - anybody have WA or ID ???

N144SH

cbadie

Can a unit with American data at purchase be converted to Pacific or Europe?
If so is it fully functional when converted (ie same as a Europe or Australian bought one?)
I looked at your web site but couldn't see for sure. Is it as easy as buying an 8mb SD card or is the database aviation details and map hard wired into the unit at manufacture?
Good to see some competition in this field and your products will be well received if you continue to be responsive to your customers. There's a big market out there and lots of room for an effective/responsive competitor.
John

Av8or Ace Feedback

I've had one for a month and really like it. I've been flying with it mounted to the yoke of my bonanza since I'm still building my 8, and it has taken me to the Atlantic Ocean and back already.

Two suggestions for Clark and his team:

1) I've flown with it at night a few times, and it doesn't get dim enough. Last night, flying into an unfamiliar airport, once I was in the pattern, I found myself looking for something to put over the screen as it was really distracting and not helping my night vision. This was on the dimmest backlight setting available.

2) Do they make a screen cover replacements? I took the cover that comes with it off and now regret it. I smudge up the screen with hands I dirty up during preflight. It would be nice to clean the screen and put a new transparent cover on.

All in all, though, a terrific product and a great value.

Mike D

I have just received the AV8OR Ace and would purchase it again. I have written several eMails to the AV8OR Ace product manager. In the eMails I made suggestions for improvements. I will be glad to post those messages here if someone can tell me how to post a graphic or a PDF.
Mike

AV8OR Ace Vs Garmin 496 (NEAREST)

496 has the following nearest capability
Airports
Weather
VOR
NDB
Intersections
User Waypoints
City
ATC
FSS
Approach

AV8OR Ace has the following nearest capability
Airports
VOR
User Waypoints
City

AV8OR Ace Vs Garmin 496 (Power On/Off)

The Garmin 496 can be powered on and off with the aircraft avionics switch.

Not so with the AV8OR Ace. The AV8OR Ace must be powered on and off at the unit by its switch or the internal battery will run down. If you mount the AV8OR in an Airgizmos panel box, you must remove the unit each time you power on/off. The on/off switch is not on the front of the unit.

AV8OR Ace Vs Garmin 496 (+12 Volte power)

The AV8OR Ace is provided with a cigarette lighter plug. You must not cut off the plug and directly wire the unit to +12 V.

Back