What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Current GTX-327 Installation Manual

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where to get the CURRENT installation manual for the Garmin GTX-327? Apparently Garmin has a thing about not including installation manuals with their stuff. I have bought two items now (GMA-240 and GTX-327) and neither one came with the install manual. At least the 240 manual is easily available from their web site but not the 327. I looked through the archives here and they either point to a revision "G" from 2002 or web pages on the Garmin site that have changed or gone away. The latest version for the GTX-327 I can find out on the internet is revision "K" from 2005. Maybe "K" is the latest version?
(edit 11/19/2008 - Well, I know there is a version "L" from 2006 now!)
(edit 11/20/2008 - We now have revision "N" from April 2008! I think this is the current version. I'm very happy now. :D)

It seems to me that I ought to be able to get an installation manual for my new piece of equipment without "skulking around internet back alleys" for it.:mad: Am I missing something?

Last edited:
So that's three revisions . . . .

. . . . . of the manual. Thanks Mike - I do appreciate the response.:) The link you referenced points to a revision "J" from 2003. I now have Rev G from 2002, Rev J from 2003 and Rev K from 2005.

I guess my question really is - is there somewhere to get the actual, "Current" version of the install manual? I have no idea if revision "K" is the latest one or not. Obviously Garmin has them but I get the impression you may have to be an "official installer" (i.e. an avionics shop) to be granted access.:(

My recommendation would be to contact one of the avionics suppliers who works with homebuilders. It can't hurt to give Stark or Stein a call and ask if they can email you a copy. I've had good success getting install info from both, although it probably helps that I bought a fair amount of stuff from both of them.

Good luck,
PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

And the current version is . . . . .

. . . . . "N" from April 2008! Covers software version 2.10. Thanks to the several of you who sent me copies or otherwise gave me advice.:)

is there a change log

for the version you have, I am not sure of my software version but it would be nice to know any changes. I assume firmware updates have to be done by Garmin?

Version Changelog

for the version you have, I am not sure of my software version but it would be nice to know any changes. I assume firmware updates have to be done by Garmin?

from the manual:

J Revised to reflect Software 2.06
K Revised to reflect Software 2.08
L Added note in figure C-2
M Added GDL 90 interconnect info
N Corrected Tables 3-1 & 3-2, updated for v2.10 SW

I have no idea how you would update firmware. I would guess that you're probably right about Garmin having to do it. :(

Firmware Update

I have no idea how you would update firmware. I would guess that you're probably right about Garmin having to do it.
Yesterday 05:55 PM

Actually the 317 has a serial port used for exactly that. They suggest wiring up a DB9 for updates. So presumably you just hook up the laptop and zap it.

Versions....

from the manual:

Quote:
J Revised to reflect Software 2.06
K Revised to reflect Software 2.08
L Added note in figure C-2
M Added GDL 90 interconnect info
N Corrected Tables 3-1 & 3-2, updated for v2.10 SW

--------------------------

Dan... perhaps the latest verion is not the correct one that you need...

As the firmware is changed, then some features probably change, and that is what is reflected in the manual updates.

If yours is an "as shipped" GTX-327 (i.e., no updated firmware) then the correct verion of the manual is most likely the one that was current on the manufacturing date. Also, for rev M, if you don't have a GDL-90 in your plane, then rev L would be OK.

Perhaps one of those earlier versions is actually the one you need....:)

Sometimes, the latest is not the best....:D

Absolutely Right!

Dan... perhaps the latest verion is not the correct one that you need...

As the firmware is changed, then some features probably change, and that is what is reflected in the manual updates.

If yours is an "as shipped" GTX-327 (i.e., no updated firmware) then the correct verion of the manual is most likely the one that was current on the manufacturing date. Also, for rev M, if you don't have a GDL-90 in your plane, then rev L would be OK.

Perhaps one of those earlier versions is actually the one you need....

Sometimes, the latest is not the best....

However, in my case, the GTX-327 is fresh from Pacific Coast Avionics (they were out and it took about a week for them to get mine in) so I'd be surprised if it was anything but the newest version. But to be sure, I guess I need to see what software version is on my unit.

BTW - Sometimes the direct and obvious approach is the best! I sent PCA an E-mail and asked for an install manual to go with my new unit - and they sent me one. Imagine that.:rolleyes:

I know this is revising a very old thread, but has anyone got the latest manual as of now, April 2011? I just received my GTX 327 for install, and expect that it is up-to-date firmware-wise, so the latest manual is probably the right one.

Barring that, if anyone could email a rev. N (seems to be the newest in this thread) copy that would be good too.

pm me

I had a fellow rv'r forward me a fairly recent copy. PM me with an Email and I will forward it to you.

Rick's turned out to be from 2003. Does anyone have a PDF of the Version N, November 2008, or newer, that they could send? rv6 at b4 dot ca. Thanks!

Rev N

Rick's turned out to be from 2003. Does anyone have a PDF of the Version N, November 2008, or newer, that they could send? rv6 at b4 dot ca. Thanks!

PM me your E-mail - I've got Rev N I can send you.

Edit: whoops - I see your E-mail add in the previous post - manual on the way.

Last edited:
Sorry for digging up old thread. Does anyone have a PDF Version L or M they could pass a link along for?

Back