What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BC410-H as a Primary Alternator

EXTAAFLY

Well Known Member
Forgive me if this has been extensively covered. I have spent an hour searching and reading threads to little specifics of my situation.

Has anyone gone before?

I am putting together the final details of the Crown Jewel of my “Beautification Project.” A new Ly-Con O-360 engine. I am thinking of running the B & C BC410-H alternator on the accessory drive as my stand alone alternator. Removing the need for the belt and shifting a little weight aft as well as employing some weight shedding techniques that Ly-Con has.

I understand that I will need an oil filter adapter and spacer.

I am also planing one P-Mag.

Just curious if there is anyone with this set up in an 8.

Thank you for the time.

write up

There was a write up on here of someone doing just that several years ago.
I am doing it after talking to B&C at the 2019 Osh event. I am not flying, so i cant tell you how it works. But be forewarned, the alternator might not have enough ump to charge at idle after a start.

My -8 with a XIO 370 has one as the only alternator. Have about 100hrs and one year on it without any problems. I have FlyLED lights, adsb, two screens, EI on one side and a lithium battery so this is a low amp drain airplane. No problem with keeping the battery charged.

Last edited:
I had that alternator in my RV7A which had a full glass panel, dual PMAG and lots of other electronics with no issues at all and the only time I ran out of a bit of juice that taped to the battery, I was taxing with my halogen LL and fuel pump running at near idle RPM. It is great alternator and will do it again if I need to.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The airplane has spent much of the last year in the shop. Avionics and all new fiberglass work. Hopefully a little reveal coming soon. My recency and familiarity with the airplane is lacking right now.

I’m all Garmin glass and AeroLed’s. I think with everything on I’m running around 12 amps total draw. Need to go get a test flight in with autopilot running and all lights on to get the accurate number. Guessing everything on taxiing would be rare.

If any of you have a picture of the accessory area with this install, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

12 amps

Thanks for the comments so far.

The airplane has spent much of the last year in the shop. Avionics and all new fiberglass work. Hopefully a little reveal coming soon. My recency and familiarity with the airplane is lacking right now.

I’m all Garmin glass and AeroLed’s. I think with everything on I’m running around 12 amps total draw. Need to go get a test flight in with autopilot running and all lights on to get the accurate number. Guessing everything on taxiing would be rare.

If any of you have a picture of the accessory area with this install, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

12 amps? Is that right? So when you hit the transmit button, that means you are doubling your power, well almost.

If your numbers are accurate, I think the small alternator will be sufficient. I expect 25 to 30 amps out of alternator at cruise with my setup.

There's a thread here (somewhere)about adding a blast tube and making an enclosure on the back of the alternator for the blast tube to keep it cool.............

Back