What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Lining

I have an RV-8 with a slider canopy. I'd like to put some nice lining around the interior part of the canopy for cosmetic appearance. Right now, it's just the exposed fiberglass. See attached pic. Would like to put some black leather/vinyl around it to match the rest of my interior which is all black. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 172
I glued felt on mine 15 years ago, and it still looks pretty good - you can tuck the edges easily under the tubes, and it is a very clean install.

I glued felt on mine 15 years ago, and it still looks pretty good - you can tuck the edges easily under the tubes, and it is a very clean install.

Wow... glad I read this now, as I was just planning to paint the interior surfaces of my skirts before riveting them on. Thanks Paul! (for the millionth time)

Skirts

I sanded the inside, taped off contact areas, primed, painted then sikaflexed the skirts. Very little weight gain.

One of my regrets is not finishing the inside before I riveted it on. I didn't know any better.

Felt works and looks good. You can also sand and fill it like the outside and just paint it for a nice smooth finish.

Glued upholstery material to 1/4" foam, than attached with industrial velcro. Matched upholstery treatment used throughout the cockpit.

For those of you who used felt, what adhesive did you use? I'm assuming contact cement; looking for specific recommendations.

Wow... glad I read this now, as I was just planning to paint the interior surfaces of my skirts before riveting them on. Thanks Paul! (for the millionth time)

I am planning to do the same. I will float coat of microballoon and expoxy to smooth out the fiberglass weave and paint it the same color as the interior, which is white!

Back