Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Mine gave off fumes as the bottom of the VR melted. I have no intention of putting that device inside the cockpit with me.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 11-12-2016, 06:03 PM

I can tell you the JD style regulator can smoke and stink up the place when it goes. Mine was in the original location, and Imcould definitely smell the magic smoke as it escaped. Not too bad, but a little unnerving of course.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 AM

Just looking at my own data, they last as long or longer under the cowling. I have a slightly redesigned blast tube and shroud built if I move it. I have also built a mount that covers the regulator fins and plan to mount a small cooling fan to blow air on the regulator whenever power is on. Still trying to decide which is best. What do you think Joe? I will say that having it in the cockpit made for a very quick swap out during our recent cross country.
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.

Last edited by Dave12 : 11-13-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 AM

Wherever the rectifier/regulator is mounted, it needs to be kept cool. Mounting it with heat conductive paste will help as will forced air circulation. Bob Nuckolls recently posted that, lacking thermally conductive paste, anything is better than air. He suggested that E9000 is better than nothing.
If mounted inside of the cockpit, how about mounting the regulator so that the avionics cooling fan will move air through the regulator fins?
A double pole switch would allow the pilot to shut off both the AC input and DC output of the regulator in case of smoke.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 AM

Funny you should mention the cooling fans. During the build on this 12, I mounted the regulator just next to the fan holes on the intake fan. I have not created any ducting. I thought I would wait and see if the new location solved the problem. I like the double pole switch for a number of reasons. Can you recommend one? I also used some longer an4 bolts with aluminum spacers epoxied on to them. It makes removal and install a flash. I am still leaning toward a small dedicated fan for the reg. As always, many thanks for your input Joe.
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 AM

For the guys who relocated the VR to inside the cabin... How hot does it get? Can you reach down and touch it with your bare hand? Estimate of temp?
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 685

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 11-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Here are my ROTAX/DUCATI VR operational data points:

3/2014 - "0" hours - My RV-12 ELSA first flown with original Ducati VR #965-335 installed per Van's plans (i.e., on engine compartment shelf with shroud and ducting).

3/2015 - 135 hrs HOBBS - Original VR (above) failed - Autopsy suggested failure due to heat and vibration - no sign of burning/smell, just open solder joints. Replaced with new Ducati VR #965-349 relocated per Van's notification to inside the cabin under the avionics shelf. I used nutplates to secure the VR and to aid in its quick replacement if needed. I did not use any heat-transferal paste under the mounting. In addition, I added a small aluminum shroud to generally route the avionics compartment fan exhaust (like warm baby's breath) towards the VR fins - not sure this is worth the effort.

11/2016 - 410 hrs HOBBS and all is well (likely this post will doom my current VR ). I typically indicate 13.9 volts and 1 amp when in cruise - frankly, I disregard all other indications (you'll go crazy trying to make sense of the voltage/amp indications during varying engine power settings) unless I see a constant voltage loss and constant negative amps during high engine power which likely means another failed VR.

I always carry a spare Ducati VR in my plane. I also try to minimize use of electrical current during low engine power periods (i.e., no lights during daytime taxiing) and maximize my current use during high engine power periods (i.e., everything "On" during takeoff/cruise/approach). Don't know if this helps the VR's longevity, but it beats sacrificing more chickens ($$$) at the Ducati altar.

My new VR is very warm when in use - I can hold onto it without scorching my fingers, but it is a tad toasty (it is useful however for warming up your passenger's left knee cap or heating up one's leftover snacks inflight). I may rig up a little air scoop on the right-side exterior of the fuselage to route some external air across the VR fins. The journey continues.....
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,050+ hours (as of July 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.

Last edited by DHeal : 11-13-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
For the guys who relocated the VR to inside the cabin... How hot does it get? Can you reach down and touch it with your bare hand? Estimate of temp?
After my first flight I reached in under the panel and touched my newly relocated Ducati and it was a little warm but not a lot.
Ambient temp 72F and after a 30 minute flight.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:24 PM

I have meant to check the operating temps with an IR thermometer, but always forget. Maybe soon. I will say that the jd is significantly hotter. Even my alligator hide hands will let go of it fairly soon.s
Old 01-14-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Brake Lines

Referred to in post #7 above. Brake lines do seem close to the regulator in new position. Anyone had problems with this or other solutions to this issue?
Jim D