Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Bleeder: polyester quilt batting works pretty well. polyester flannel will work fine, you probably want to use several layers.
Photo illustrates what Steve said about using several layers of flannel. Depending on how wet the layups are, it's possible to squeeze a lot of epoxy into the bleeder ply. The shiny areas are fully saturated bleeder ply flannel. I think this was two layers thick.

For sure you don't want it sucking up into your vacuum pump, so at minimum, stack up multiple layers where the hose will attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturated Bleeder Ply.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	33861  
Old 11-14-2022, 06:27 PM

I use a 1 inch diameter suction cup (the ones used to hang things on windows and mirrors) as the bag interface. I have learned not to place this thing anywhere on a part that needs a good surface finish because it sometimes leaves a little mound of resin right at the cup location. Place the vacuum off the part itself so the bag lays down flat across the entire part.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD