What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flat or Satin for Interior Paint?

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am about to order my interior Jetflex paint. What is the consensus from the group: Flat, or Satin?

Glossy is fine

I have medium grey interior, all glossy. The panel itself is the same color, same paint. I do not get any glare at all, ever.

The hard, smooth surface of glossy paint makes cleaning easier, easier to see dropped screws and such. I'm happy with my choice.

Just one person's opinion but I first tried Jetflex Flat and didn't like it. Switched to Satin (and a different color to please my project's color consultant :)) and it was plenty "non-glare".

IMG_2324.JPG

Mine is base and gloss clear, just like the exterior. No problem. However, the panel matte clear.

Jeremy,
As a former T-6 IP and C-17IP/EP, I went a completely different direction.... PPG High gloss metallic silver. I have had a lot of compliments on the interior and I never found glare to be an issue. Paint it your favorite color!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE 700+ hours since 2007

I used satin JetFlex interior paint (gray-beige) and I'm really pleased with how it looks. You don't need flat finish. The satin is non-glare.

Yes is the answer to your question.

Over 15-years ago, I painted my interior glossy, then panel satin, and the glare shield flat. All three are different colors.

I like the results 15-years later so that means I would do it again the same way.

I am about to order my interior Jetflex paint. What is the consensus from the group: Flat, or Satin?

Jeremy where are you planning to get the Jetflex from? I've decided to use it also in satin but wondered where the best place was to buy it.

Advanced aircraft coatings

Jeremy where are you planning to get the Jetflex from? I've decided to use it also in satin but wondered where the best place was to buy it.

I bought it from Advanced aircraft coatings in Oklahoma city. 405-495-7545.

BTW I went with the satin finish. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Maintenance wise I find satin and gloss finishes a lot easier to clean than most flat finishes.

Check skygeek. Some of their quarts are $34.99. I bought one qt and shipping was scheduled for a month but took a week.

I have a creme colored, glossy interior other than the panel and glareshield, which are black.

If I was doing it again, I'd use a satin paint in a medium or dark color - I get reflections from the creme colored canopy rails that are a problem when I try to take pictures through the canopy.

I used satin hammered finish on mine, I like it and is easy to clean using damp cloth.

Bird

Seems pretty clear ...

...that satin is the finish of choice. I used satin after talking to a number of people and looking at RV interiors for 3 or 4 years. Gloss risks unwanted reflections, and flat finishes get shiny spots over time from the oil on your fingers and look not-so-nifty. I am 100% pleased with my satin finish and would do the same again in a heartbeat.

Satin for me

I used Satin JetFlex on my interior, too. This is a wonderful product. I'd use it again in a heartbeat. I painted all my parts before riveting them together. Another choice I would highly recommend.

P1000412%20(Small).JPG

nice colors

Bruce, nice colors: red, gold, grey and white.

I also used satin, dupont single stage, overall castle tan.

Super fast Jetflex delivery

Ordered my Jetflex WR from a vendor that doesn't advertise on this site so I don't want to give them a plug here but I ordered on Wednesday night and it was on my porch today Saturday. It was less than 50 bucks a quart. Had a few questions before I ordered and they went out of the way to help me. Said it would take a week or so because of the color I ordered but only three days later I have my paint. Guy was kind of a Geek though if you know what I mean. ;)

Back