What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Country of birth/origin?

pierre smith

Well Known Member
I'm often amazed at the locations that RV's are being built in, so let's find out a little more about our brethren.

I was born in Kempton Park, South Africa and moved to Rhodesia at 5 years of age and knew four English words...Yes, no, please and thank you!:eek:

It was a steep learning curve under the Brits but I graduated in 1961 and moved to the U.S. as Zimbabwe bit the dirt under the rule then.

How 'bout the rest of you furriners?:)

Best,

Probably doesnt count, but I was born in Hawaii in 1956 at Tripler Hospital. Dad was stationed at Kaneohe (USMC). It was still a territory back then.
Transfered stateside when you could go the car factory and pick up a new Buick!
(was back there about 6 years ago---really loved it.)
Tom

Last edited:
My year of Manufacture was 1968, compliance plate says Country of Origin Port Moresby PNG, although it was actually a territory of Australia back then so basically a state of Oz.

Moved here in early 69, lived in Sydney till I was 9 and been in the Sunshine Capital ever since.

Traffic and big city life is getting to me.....so by 48 I intend to be more regional :)

The beauty of the internet and an RV10 means living regional and working a couple of days a week is all possible.

The Vans Time Machine! :):):)

Parents migrated to Australia from Holland a year or two after I was born. Grew up in Victoria, built model aeroplanes, became an engineer and moved to Western Australia in 1980 after spending a few years overseas. Thought about flying on and off over the years, but couldn't see the point in spending a not-so-small fortune just to fly around in circles and come down again. Wife finally decided to buy me an aero club voucher for 3 flying lessons. My first RV-12 crates were delivered the day I got my PPL in August 2010. It was a good day!

Born in London, UK, grew up in Crawley (one of the "new" towns after WW2), traveled around the world with RAF and my first employer and came to the US in 1979. US locations Tulsa, DC area, Dallas area, Salt Lake City area and back to Tulsa. Still have family in UK but here for the duration:D

Another ex pat...

Born in Britain in the sixties, watched as it slid into decay led by various labour unions, moved to the states in my mid-teens. Hold a US and UK passport and looking for another, preferably non OECD signatory lol

Born in Britain in 1972. Started learning the fly in the UK - have 40.9 hours so far. Moved here in 2008 to work at a university (H1B visa), got my green card last year. Decided I want to get my pilots license before I hit 40 later this year. Class 3 medical/student certificate issued last week. Just need to find an instructor the TSA knows about and jump through yet another set of Fed hoops so I can complete my flight training. Two more years until I'm eligible for citizenship. :cool:

Born and raised in Aberdeen, Scotland. Came here in 1997 for a 3 month work assignment or so I was told, been here ever since. I've been building and flying model planes since 1974 (ouch that makes me feel old) got my full size ticket in 2000. I did the first flight of my RV-7A in 2008.

Another Brit

Born in 61, dreamed of digging up a spitfire for the sands of Dover, Tried to join the RAF but didn't get through selection at RAF Biggin Hill cus I was short sighted.

Became an engineer, worked for HP who head hunted me to a job over here also in 97.

Built a Zenair Zodiac, Built the 7a, took my instrument training in it.

During the big crash I decided to go get my professional engineering license which meant I had to take the FE (EIT) exam. This basically meant I had to get my engineering degree again after 25 years out of school. Took six months of sweat at the kitchen table..Passed..Then took the PE exam a year later..Passed.

I figured if I had the determination to build 2 airplanes I probably had enough to get the PE license...:)

Frank

Born in Taiwan and came here for graduate school in the late 70s. Got my private ticket in the late 80s. Tried model airplanes and crashed them each and every time. The logical solution is to fly the real thing. Finally found time and courage to build in 2004. Spent most of my time in Indiana and Ohio until moving to Florida this year.

...and Texas is "like a whole other country" :p

Apparently even the US State Department agrees!

(And to keep things RV-related... there are a bunch of RV's flying around north and central Texas with a "United States of Texas" sticker on their vertical tailfins.)

Last edited:
India. Flew sailplanes in Delhi through undergrad years. Moved to Nebraska at 21. Later spent 10 years in South Dakota. Not Deadwood, but son was born in Yankton, SD! Now in sunny socal...miss the midwest.

Anyone else from the India on this forum?

Suresh

Adelaide

Born and raised in Adelaide South Australia. Went to Uni in New South Wales. Became a teacher (History, Geography, Biology) and taught in Queensland before returning to Adelaide. Have been at the "chalk face? for over 30 yrs. My dad was the link to Aviation, he was an "Aircraft Mechanic".
When he started out he worked for Charles Kingsford-Smith, and I still have the apprentice letter signed by the man himself. So I guess Aero-addiction was inevitable!

Jim

Born in Scotland, learned to fly with the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde Air Squadron of the RAF, mechanical/aeronautical engineer, moved to the USA in 1994 on a two year assignment - and still haven't been caught :)

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 flying since 2009
Just about to be painted

Last edited:
Born in New Zealand of Norwegian parents. Came to Australia in 1970 for a brief visit. Married and still here!

Erik

South African Aussie

I was born in ealy 80's. Vanderbyjilpark In South Africa. I moved over to Perth Westn Australia in 2001 and did my PPL in 2009. I bought a 172 but its just not cutting it. started building last year :)

Let's meet!

This has become an amazing thread!

Let's all meet at Osh...those of us that are going.

I read on here that a group of South Africans will be there. How 'bout a lunch time meeting at Van's tent on Monday?

Best,

Last edited:
Pierre, you were ahead of most of the kids born in this country, they don't know the last two words that you knew.... please and thank you.

bob burns
N82rb

I read on here that a group of South Africans will be there. How 'bout a lunch time meeting at Van's tent on Monday?

I'd come to such a meeting just to see this fascinatign group of Ex-Pats....but don't do Monday lunch Pierre, that's "Van's day", and the festivities will be in full swing....

Born Swiss

Born and raised in Switzerland. Came here in 1967 as a 23 year old. Have been back many times for visits and to check out the aviation scene. Can't believe how expensive and restrictive it is! Living here in beautiful Pecan Plantation airpark with an RV7A im my hangar is paradise and would never have been possible for me over there. Hurray for the USA!

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Tchnical Counselor

To the USA

Born and raised in Iran, till early 80s when I moved to W. Germany to go to university. Did not know any German language and only high school level English which amounted to what Pierre knew before moving here. Moved to US in 1986 and continued with my education.

The greatest thing that my new home, the USA, has offered me has not been just the vast opportunities but the greatest opportunity of all, to allow me to follow my own dreams and the type of life style that I dreamed to have. Living in a more closed neat societies has some benefits but also a great deal of limitations as many major decisions are often times made for you at the early age. Your path in life , whether your field of study/ profession, hobby, marriage and children gets more or less decided for you. But I have been able to follow my dreams as crazy as they have been and now I am flying my own built plane, how crazy that is?!?!? Ask my dad and he tells you it is nuts!!!!!! But he still loves me just the same :)

Aussie In USA

I was born in Melbourne, Australia, moved with my family to Sydney in 1975. Started flying at 16 in 1978. Came to the States for work in 1999 and have been here ever since. First 3 years in Riverside CA, and now settles in SE Michigan.

Born in Hertfordshire UK in 59, lived in Sussex for 19 years, Copthorne near Crawley and came as quick as I could to Texas in 1979 and have loved it here ever since. 52F

OK.

..........but don't do Monday lunch Pierre, that's "Van's day", and the festivities will be in full swing....

Thanks for the heads-up, Paul.

How 'bout meeting at Van's tent at 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday?

My sentiments echo those of many grateful ex-pats as well. I laid my Dad to rest last June, at age 88 and I often told him and others, that the greatest gift anyone ever gave me, was from my Dad, for bringing me to this richly blessed land where dreams can easily be made a reality! Amen.

Best,

Piere

Get some of that yummy SA sausage for the BBQ......one of my staff gets them, he is from Durben,anyway you know the sort:)

Named after the Boers.

Oz, I believe it's called Boerewors and there is a South African deli in Atlanta that ships it overnight. It's a beef based sausage and scrumptious!

There's a big contingent of South African ex-pats in Atlanta as well. One of them owns Georgia Diamond corp. and I did a lot of business with them when I had a jewelry store for many years.

Best,

Born in Stuttgart Germany and lived there until I was 6. Mom remarried and ended up as an Army brat traveling around the US until I got into High School. Live in Kentucky now but still spend about half the year bouncing around the globe looking for oil.

Pierre, I spent a few years working in Uganda with a lot of South Africans. They got me hooked on the Billtong.

Another Aussie. Born In Victoria in 1970.Been living in Qld sice 1980.(Apart from 4 months in the UK and 2 years in Saudi Arabia working as a crew chief on Saudi Tornado IDS Jets).

Another Aussie. Born and Bred in Queensland 1967. Lived mostly Brisbane and Gold Coast. Moved north years ago for better aircraft engineer opportunities. Hope to get over to the states one day for a look.

Born and bred in Western Australia with many ex-pat Rhodesians who moved to WA in the 70's. Now living in beautiful downtown Mudgee. Will be at Oshkosh 2012.

Oz, I believe it's called Boerewors and there is a South African deli in Atlanta that ships it overnight. It's a beef based sausage and scrumptious!

There's a big contingent of South African ex-pats in Atlanta as well. One of them owns Georgia Diamond corp. and I did a lot of business with them when I had a jewelry store for many years.

Best,

There is indeed, i used to play rugger with and against more than a few of them. Tough buggers!

Geez at this rate we should organize a friendly South Africa v Australia cricket match at Oshkosh.......should confuse the locals. :D

Pierre,
Spot on again, as usual.:)

Yet another Aussie, raised on farm in western Victoria, small town of Goroke - 250 people. Apprentoship as plumber when teenager in Horsham (the Wimmeras major center) and stayed ever since apart from stint in the USA 1997. Just completed the first step in my dream to have a USA hangar home for the Oz winter months upon retirement, I have bought an airpak Lot in Dayton Valley airpark, Nevada - with long term plan to build that house.

That Australia versus South Africa cricket game could be an annual Oshkosh event !!!!

Back