What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do utility companies ever bury powerlines...

diamond

Well Known Member
I found a piece of land that I'm interested in purchasing. I would want to build a grass runway on one edge of the property, but there is a dang powerline running along the road at one end of my prospective runway. Do utility companies ever respond favorably to requests to bury short portions of powerline in order to create a safe environment for private runways? I don't know what all is involved in doing something like this, but even just a 100 foot section between poles would suffice for me. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

They absolutely do it; at your expense!
My "co-op" electric company buried mine at a cost of $5200. Not cheap. And these were 1991 $$$.

BTW, This was a 13KV Primary line, not 240v service.

Last edited:
I found a piece of land that I'm interested in purchasing. I would want to build a grass runway on one edge of the property, but there is a dang powerline running along the road at one end of my prospective runway. Do utility companies ever respond favorably to requests to bury short portions of powerline in order to create a safe environment for private runways? I don't know what all is involved in doing something like this, but even just a 100 foot section between poles would suffice for me. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Sure they can do it. You'll pay the cost for it though. First step: Contact your town/city/county official and inquire about the construction of a runway on your property. There is most likely some type of stipulation that needs to be addressed for such construction, i.e. submittals of surveys, civil engineering/drawings and permits. After you get your info from them Step 2: Contact your utility company and inquire with them about it. From there you'll have a good idea of how it can or can not be done.

power cost

I had a new line ran 800 feet from pole at road under my grass strip to a new service pole where house going one day. 230 three phase , cost was 3500.00

I also had an existing 150' section of line dropped at one end of runway. Cost was 4800.00.

Existing lines are very expensive to drop. New lines brought in are less expensive, especially if you can convince them you'll use a lot of power in the future.

Bill
RV-4
Bent Willies Runway 52FA

It can get pricey

10 or so years ago I was quoted a figure of $200 per foot for a 3 phase 13 Kv distribution line crossing property I was considering purchasing.

Chuck

I'm having problems getting them to put markers on the wires at the end of my grass strip. The lines were there before my strip but the wires are on my land. They do have an easment.

I buried my line to my house, 1/4 mile from the road. The most efficient way for me was to have the phone company plow in both the power and phone lines at the same time. Started at 0700 and done with power to the house by noon and that included a 45 minute delay while the union power company guys talked with their steward about working with the non-union phone company guys. I was impressed with how fast the job went.

For you, you'll probably pay someone to dig the ditch with a backhoe and then fill it in again after the line is in.

Kind of off topic: Many years ago when I was doing an environmental analysis to run a powerline thru the Flathead National Forest for 15 miles to serve an isolated community, the power guys told me that the cost per foot or mile for poles vs. buried was about the same, but there was a cost for getting it down off the pole--about $250. They wanted to put it on poles, but then they would have been out there several times each winter when trees went down across the line. I think I saved them money by requiring them to bury it.

The power company at our business location is a co-op owned by us consumers. Very nice to work with. (we actually get refunds for excess funds at the end of the year. )
When adding new construction they let me bury conduit for my incoming line and they just pulled the wires through it. We already had the equipment there for other things anyway.
Was the line feeding my building though, not one along the road.

Burying lines

If you are just talking between poles in the grid then I don't know. Like everybody else has stated I'm sure they will do it for their price. If you're going from their poles onto your property (say to a hangar or house) then you can do what you want. (Atleast that's how it is out here in rural Kansas). Something else to consider--if it is on your own land--call dig safe to have pre-existing lines marked and go rent a trencher and trench your own line in. Then you can even lay the line in conduit--if not insulated--and fill the trench back in. Saves a lot of labor and time. All that's left is to get an electrician to hook both ends up. Plus you get to play around with a trencher/blade for a day or two!!!!

This works well in rural USA. If I lived in an urban area I wouldn't even consider this method--too much stuff to screw up.

Good luck.

Bill

I work as a Power Dispatcher. It's my job to coordinate jobs like you're talking about. So I guess I may be qualified to answer this question.

There are two types of power wires that you could be concerned with.

The first is the wire that runs from pole to pole down the street or alley. These wires are called Distribution and usually run at anywhere from 4,000 volts to 69,000 volts. Distribution is more expensive to bury. It may require a planned power outage to many customers while cutting power over from the overhead to the underground system.

The second type is the wire that runs from a street pole to your house. This wire is transformed down to 120/240 volts. This wire is called Secondary or Service and is relatively inexpensive to bury. It will require a power outage to only the property served by the Service.

Neither of these jobs can be done by yourself. Your utility may allow you to dig the trench for your Service, but they have to lay the wire and make electrical connections themselves. On the other hand, the Utility will absolutely not allow you to do any of the work to bury Distribution.

From your description, you're asking to bury Distribution. Contact your Utility and expect to pay pretty dearly to bury that wire!

Last edited:
On the other hand, the Utility will absolutely not allow you to do any of the work to bury Distribution.
From your description, you're asking to bury Distribution. Contact your Utility and expect to pay pretty dearly to bury that wire!

I can confirm this. When I had my 13KV Primary line buried, I tried every way in the world to get them to let me do some of the work. Their consistent answer was, "It's a liability issue. The lawyers will not allow it!"

Last edited:
I've done it!

~800' along the road $2206.97 in 2007 I dug the ditch (About $400 on a rented ditch witch-- get the ride on model!) . Though the folks in east tennessee are exceptional to work with if you just ask nicely. I also extended water 2" line at the the same time in a parallel ditch.

John
K80TN

When we built the first shop the overhead lines were in the way. We cut the main line at our house roof, trenched the ditch, and installed a new meter box with romex for temp power till the power co. came out and laid the new wire for $125.00 in 1996. As someone else said I think a lot depends on who comes out, and how they (and you) are to deal with. The phone co. charged $300. :rolleyes: I also understand my home 220 lines aren't the same as the main lines going down the road.

I think there are actually 3 types of power distribution runs. The 120/240/480 that would run to your home or biz., the standard high voltage that runs down most street on ~50' high poles and the very high voltage transmission lines.

Is the wiring on one of those really big towers? Those are very high voltage with multiple wires and 100' will probably run like $50,000 - $100,000 (or more) or something crazy like that. Could be less depending on where you live though.

Not true in Tucson...

....Neither of these jobs can be done by yourself. Your utility may allow you to dig the trench for your Service, but they have to lay the wire and make electrical connections themselves. On the other hand, the Utility will absolutely not allow you to do any of the work to bury Distribution.

When I built my hangar, the utility had to extend a 12 Kv line and add a new transformer near the hangar.

I had to grant them a legal, surveyed easement, but I was able to dig the trench myself (well almost, a neighbor with a backhoe did it).

All the utility did was to send out a "trench inspector" to say that the trench was OK - IIRC it was two feet wide by 4 ft deep. After we removed a rattlesnake that fell in, it passed....:)

The utility came and laid the cable and installed the new transformer. I had the trench filled in, and that was inspected when the short service trench to the hangar was inspected.

In our case, there was no charge for the cable or transformer since it was under 500 ft. from an existing transformer. We would have been charged for any excess over 500 ft.

Check with your local utility - I was nicely surprised on how easy they were to deal with.

It did cost me a bout with Valley Fever though....:(

We had to relocate our runway due to a gravel pit that purchased rights to the sand from the land holder. The new location had high voltage lines at one approach end and a pole directly in the middle. $13k to bury across two poles and remove the center pole. Total time for the power company about 8 hours.
I thought it was $7k too much but the club voted for it.

Back