What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Servo Screws Update!

TrutrakTech

Well Known Member
All,

We have a solution in the works now. The order has been placed for the hardware and we are now just waiting for its arrival. I will post again when it is available. This will be offered to all customers at no charge and will be implemented on all newly manufactured servos. Thanks for your patience!

Now that is service.......

.....with a smile:) Quick work and free replacements. My buddy is having Blue Mountain problems and can't even get a return phone call:(

Regards,

Thanks Lucas,

I appreciate you and TT getting on top of this situation and dealing with it up front and honestly.

TruTrak aileron servos in fuselage in a RV-8

Since I don't have a TruTrak elevator servo in my RV-8a, I have been only following this thread on an "academic interest" basis. Great to see TruTrak's response to the problem.

Have there been any key learnings to this problem that might apply to the TruTrak aileron servo installed in the fuselage of an RV-8a? From what I can see from the posts, the aileron servo design is different than the elevator servo. Do I need to be concerned?

Albert Thomas
N880AT
RV-8a QB
At a point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

All,

We have a solution in the works now. The order has been placed for the hardware and we are now just waiting for its arrival. I will post again when it is available. This will be offered to all customers at no charge and will be implemented on all newly manufactured servos. Thanks for your patience!

This is exactly why I'm using Tru-Trak in my project. A vendor "problem" is nothing more than an opportunity to prove how good one is as a supplier. This supplier should get everyone's business that is in the market for an autopilot. This is how all manufacturers should respond. The other side of the coin is that good service also has a cost and we have to be willing to pay for it. I for one am.

3 Cheers for Tru Trak ! :D

This supplier should get everyone's business that is in the market for an autopilot. This is how all manufacturers should respond. The other side of the coin is that good service also has a cost and we have to be willing to pay for it. I for one am.

This is why we are so lucky in the Experimental world. There are tons of Vendors that show the same level of commitment to their customers. TT is a great company but there are also others....some are in the AP making business too.

This is exactly why I'm using Tru-Trak in my project. A vendor "problem" is nothing more than an opportunity to prove how good one is as a supplier. This supplier should get everyone's business that is in the market for an autopilot. This is how all manufacturers should respond. The other side of the coin is that good service also has a cost and we have to be willing to pay for it. I for one am.

Hopefully TruTrak won't "get everyone's business that is in the market for an autopilot". If that happened some other very good autopilot companies with superb customer service would disappear. ;)

But in spite of the hyperbole, I'm glad to see this issue resolved quickly and ethically.

A hint

All,

Lucas - Can you tell us what the solution is?

Lucas - Can you tell us what the solution is?

Web, It might be a while before Lucas responds. I think Lucas told us that it is just a new screw with a nylon insert. They were not "off the shelf" screws and it took awhile for the manufacture to design produce it. Pretty sure that is what is going on.

This is exactly why I'm using Tru-Trak in my project. A vendor "problem" is nothing more than an opportunity to prove how good one is as a supplier. This supplier should get everyone's business that is in the market for an autopilot.

Perhaps these comments are a bit premature when one considers that TruTrak has not yet revealed their design fix and the market has had no chance to assess the effectiveness of the modification.

The quandary for TruTrak will be in coming up with a design solution that is a REAL improvement and yet does not require a total product recall (very very expensive)....or a major and perhaps complex internal upgrade of installed servos in the field by builders (with perhaps quality control ramifications).

It seems to me that Dynon has the correct solution with a threaded and holed shaft for a nut and cotter pin. I am imagining that modifying a TruTrak servo in the field by replacing the shaft to achieve the same result might be problematic.

I just hope that we're not going to get a "Clayton's fix". That's the fix you get that isn't really a fix at all.

At any rate, best we wait until we see the offering before we start slapping people on the back.

Last edited:
AUTO PILOT SERVO

I REMOVED THE SCREW FORM A BRAND NEW SERVO-NO! LOCK TITE.
MY SOLUTION WAS TO REPLACETHE SCREW WITH A STEEL ONE, REPLACE THE NYLON WASHER WITH A INTERNAL LOCK WASHER AND RED LOCK TITE.
AFTER SITTING OVERNIGHT I NEARLY STRIPPED THE SCREW TO REMOVE IT. JUST FOR A TEST.
RV-6, FASTBACK RV-8, RV-4

At any rate, best we wait until we see the offering before we start slapping people on the back.

I agree - I think that we need to wait for the Tru Tech Solution before we either apply our own fixes OR congratulate anyone.

MY SOLUTION WAS TO REPLACETHE SCREW WITH A STEEL ONE, REPLACE THE NYLON WASHER WITH A INTERNAL LOCK WASHER AND RED LOCK TITE.

My concern with removing the nylon washer is that the control arm needs to be able to rotate relative to the screw and shaft if the shear screw breaks - or your controls will be LOCKED if the servo fails internally. That's the purpose of the shear screw, and if the screw is locked to the shaft (with lock tite), and the arm is held to the screw with a lock washer, then you have defeated the shearing action.

Paul

I agree - I think that we need to wait for the Tru Tech Solution before we either apply our own fixes OR congratulate anyone.

My concern with removing the nylon washer is that the control arm needs to be able to rotate relative to the screw and shaft if the shear screw breaks - or your controls will be LOCKED if the servo fails internally. That's the purpose of the shear screw, and if the screw is locked to the shaft (with lock tite), and the arm is held to the screw with a lock washer, then you have defeated the shearing action.

Paul

This is exactly the reason we don't use a lock washer. You will tie the entire assembly together as one and defeat the purpose of the shear screw.

We are going to use a Nylok screw. This screw will have a reusable nylon thread locker patch. The order has been placed, we are waiting on its arrival. Thanks!

Ironic

It's ironic - once the screws come in, it will take an hour to get the panels off and on but only 1 minute to exchange the screws.

Thanks for the update Lucas.

Since there are quite of few TruTrak customers on this website, I have a suggestion that would help you folks out and speed things along.

If you give us a mailing address that you prefer, we could put somthing in the address line such as "Update" and include a SASE which you could drop a baggie with 2 screws in it and mail it back out. Save phone calls and help you guys out.

Update! Servo screw SB is ready!

All,

We have finally received the updated screws and released our service bulletin for the servos. You can find the service bulletin here: http://www.trutrakap.com/Service_Bullentin/servo_service_bulletin.html

To obtain replacement screws PLEASE use this form here: http://www.trutrakap.com/service_bulletin_form.html

EDIT: The serial numbers field is not required.

Please use the form as we will ONLY be shipping these out once a week, most likely each Friday. The web form is the best way to make sure you get the screws. While we will not deny phone calls, emails, or PMs here, I can't guarantee you will receive them in a timely manner unless the web form is used.

Thank you everyone for your patience. We appreciate it!

Last edited:
All,

We have finally received the updated screws and released our service bulletin for the servos. You can find the service bulletin here: http://www.trutrakap.com/Service_Bullentin/servo_service_bulletin.html

To obtain replacement screws PLEASE use this form here: http://www.trutrakap.com/service_bulletin_form.html

Please use the form as we will ONLY be shipping these out once a week, most likely each Friday. The web form is the best way to make sure you get the screws. While we will not deny phone calls, emails, or PMs here, I can't guarantee you will receive them in a timely manner unless the web form is used.

Thank you everyone for your patience. We appreciate it!

Thanks, but a big bummer that we have to open everything up to get the serial numbers off of the servos before we can submit the request form.

Thanks, but a big bummer that we have to open everything up to get the serial numbers off of the servos before we can submit the request form.

I guess that'll teach me to proofread my posts! The serial number field is NOT REQUIRED. Thanks!

Request form had an asterisk next to all fields except serial number and comments. I submitted mine with serial # field blank. Advised that I had purchased servos through Steinair.
Tom

Now that I've gone back and actually read the service bulletin, it loks like the 10's may not need the screw as I believe they have the high torque motor.

Last edited:
Request form had an asterisk next to all fields except serial number and comments. I submitted mine with serial # field blank. Advised that I had purchased servos through Steinair.
Tom

Now that I've gone back and actually read the service bulletin, it loks like the 10's may not need the screw as I believe they have the high torque motor.

Hi Tom,

RV10s will require the screw as well. They use a DSB CTOR or DSP CTOR for pitch control. Those two servos on not on the exempt list. Only our HB servos are on the exempt list. Thanks!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

So, the 10 pitch servo with the little phenolic wheel/cable/beam setup does need the screw???

Or, just the roll servo with the arm like shown in the photo???

servo_service_bulletin_clip_image002.jpg

Thanks for taking care of this.

So, the 10 pitch servo with the little phenolic wheel/cable/beam setup does need the screw???

Or, just the roll servo with the arm like shown in the photo???

servo_service_bulletin_clip_image002.jpg

Thanks for taking care of this.

Mike,

The pitch servo on the RV10 needs it as well. Only our HB (High Torque, the pricey ones!) are exempt from the SB. The servos with torque enhancers (phenolic wheel/cable/beam setup) and the servos with capstan wheels are included in this bulletin. Thanks!

I've never seen answered the question of what torque should be used to tighten the servo arm screw that we are replacing. It seems that something really should be published other than "snug".

Aww Scott, don't spoil it all and make us go buy that 200 dollar torquing screwdriver that Dynon is making us do! I like "snug"!
Regards

What is the Nylok screw?

This is likely a dumb question.. but what is special about a Nylok screw? I went to the Nylok website and it looks like a regular screw with blue threadlocker on it.... Is there more to it?

The "blue" on the nylok screw is actually a nylon insert set into the threads.

Apologies for delays

All,

I apologize for the slight delay in getting the screw shipments out. As you may have noticed, we basically lost a week due to an ice storm. Also, we just received the envelopes to send the screws yesterday.

I appreciate everyone's patience, I am working through the requests in the order they were received. I will get to them as fast as I can. Thanks!

TruTrak fix has arrived

Got the replacement screws for the TruTrak fix in the mail today. Kind of underwhelming - a couple of quite small screws with what looks like a small dab of blue Loctite on them, wrapped in a wad of scotch tape inside a small cardboard envelope. And came stamped "postage due" to boot. No accompanying documentation of any kind. Guess they assume if you are getting them, you got the whole story off of VAF and know exactly what you are suppposed to do with them. Hard to see how this will be any better than what I already had.

erich

Yeah, I got mine too. I'm still interested in a torque spec directly from TruTrak.

What Mel said

Got the replacement screws for the TruTrak fix in the mail today. Kind of underwhelming - a couple of quite small screws with what looks like a small dab of blue Loctite on them, wrapped in a wad of scotch tape inside a small cardboard envelope. And came stamped "postage due" to boot. No accompanying documentation of any kind. Guess they assume if you are getting them, you got the whole story off of VAF and know exactly what you are suppposed to do with them. Hard to see how this will be any better than what I already had.

erich

As Mel stated in the previous thread here, it's a nylon insert, rather than blue loctite. It's better because, unlike loctite, the fastener doesn't lose it's prevailing torque if it's moved a bit during checking or re-torquing. Just like a Nylock nut, it won't last forever, but it's good for several cycles.

Just went online with Trutrak tech support. I ask if there was a torque needed for the new screws. He said to just give it a good yank with a screwdriver.

Sounds simple enough!!

Not an insert

I did receive documentation and the postage was paid but it doesn't look like an insert. Looks like someone painted a small dot of blue thread locker of some kind on it. It is only one small dot on one side of the screw.

Andy

TruTrak fix

If I were TruTrak I'd sure try to minimize the cost of the fix, which it appears they did. Mine came postage paid but with no directions. Some input on tightening the screw would be helpful. Bill

Fix

Mine came postage paid but no directions. If I were TruTrak I'd try to minimize cost of fix and it appears they did. How specific is a "good yank?" Bill

As Mel stated in the previous thread here, it's a nylon insert, rather than blue loctite. It's better because, unlike loctite, the fastener doesn't lose it's prevailing torque if it's moved a bit during checking or re-torquing. Just like a Nylock nut, it won't last forever, but it's good for several cycles.

This is a good description. The Nylock screw contains a permanently bonded patch of threadlocker. The complaint was that some customers' screws had no evidence of thread locker on them. This fix takes care of that problem. It is also better in that it doesn't require the liquid locktite bonding system. It simply applies a counter force against the mounting surface.

Like William said, it won't last forever but will still hold well for several cycles.

If you received one that says "Postage Due", I apologize. We had a miscommunication with the Post Office and several of them were returned needing additional postage.

For instructions, all the instructions you need are in the service bulletin. Several of the first few went without the addition of a copy of it, however all subsequent mailings have a copy of the service bulletin inside the envelope.

There is no torque specification. The presence of the nylon washer will never give you an accurate torque reading. The nylon washer is there so that in the event of a servo failure (lockup), there is adequate slip in the system to allow you control. This is the reason we are using a screw with thread locker. All you need to do is simply cinch it down until it's tight.

I hope I've answered everyone's questions. I'll check back here again on Monday to see if there are any further. Thanks everyone!

All,

I apologize for the slight delay in getting the screw shipments out. As you may have noticed, we basically lost a week due to an ice storm. Also, we just received the envelopes to send the screws yesterday.

I appreciate everyone's patience, I am working through the requests in the order they were received. I will get to them as fast as I can. Thanks!

Mine showed up in the mail yesterday, I'm in the Seattle area. The blue sure looks like a dab of blue Locktite but I'll believe you that it is a nylock insert. Is there a groove in the screw to hold the nylon?

Mine showed up in the mail yesterday, I'm in the Seattle area. The blue sure looks like a dab of blue Locktite but I'll believe you that it is a nylock insert. Is there a groove in the screw to hold the nylon?

Lucas, Ignore my question here, I see you answered it in another thread. Thanks, Trutrak has always been upfront and fast with service!

I believe its called a "nylon patch". some industrial apps are going to this.
I have some screws that have a tiny hole drilled and a "slug" of nylon sitting proud of the threads, for locking.

The "blue" on the nylok screw is actually a nylon insert set into the threads.

I just received my 2 screws from TT. Under a magnifying glass I see no insert. It just looks like a wax like dab of blue "locktite ?" is sprayed on the threads.

Nothing special about these screws that I can see. :(

Did I get the old screws by mistake ????

Last edited:
Have your change ready!

Well, I'm pleased that we received the little package of replacement screws today and grateful that I was home or it would have turned into a significant hassle. Seems that Tru-Trak sent out our package with postage for a regular 1st Class letter. Hence, I had to pay $0.75 to the mailman to get it out of hock. (If I hadn't been home, I would have had to find an opportunity some day soon to drive to the post office to pay for the postage...and hope I had a chance before they returned it.)

I sure hope the mistake was only made on our package. Otherwise, be ready, folks, with your $0.75 and wait by the door for the postman to arrive.

Replacement for everybody?

Is Trutrak sending out screws to everybody that bought their servo's? or do you need to ask for them, to be sent?

Regards, Tonny.

You have to ask

You have to ask for the screws. There is a form on the TruTrak website, but I didn't fill it out so I'm not certain of the exact address. Look around, I guess.

Well, I'm pleased that we received the little package of replacement screws today and grateful that I was home or it would have turned into a significant hassle. Seems that Tru-Trak sent out our package with postage for a regular 1st Class letter. Hence, I had to pay $0.75 to the mailman to get it out of hock. (If I hadn't been home, I would have had to find an opportunity some day soon to drive to the post office to pay for the postage...and hope I had a chance before they returned it.)

I sure hope the mistake was only made on our package. Otherwise, be ready, folks, with your $0.75 and wait by the door for the postman to arrive.

Louise,

I apologize for you having to pay extra postage. There was a misunderstanding from the person I spoke to at the post office. The first batch went with 1st class postage only. The second batch went with a postage of $0.83, that should have covered everyone.

If anyone has received one with postage of $0.83 and had to pay extra postage, please let me know! Thanks!

Back