What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Navaid Install

lr172

Well Known Member
I posted this in the Autopilot section, but didn't get a response. I thought I may find more people here with Navaid experience.

I am building an RV-6 and was installing and setting up the Navaid AP(I got it with the kit that I bought - not ready to invest in a better one yet). I think that I fully understand the instructions. However, it keeps referring to a "Trim Range" trimpot for making trim adjustments. I understand what it is supposed to do, but I cannot find this trimpot anywhere. My unit has four trimpots on the face (Gyro null, Span, L & R Cal). Each of these is also referenced, so I don't think it is a mis-label.

Can anyone tell me where to find the "Trim Range" trimpot?

Thanks for your assistance.

Larry

I posted this in the Autopilot section, but didn't get a response. I thought I may find more people here with Navaid experience.

I am building an RV-6 and was installing and setting up the Navaid AP(I got it with the kit that I bought - not ready to invest in a better one yet). I think that I fully understand the instructions. However, it keeps referring to a "Trim Range" trimpot for making trim adjustments. I understand what it is supposed to do, but I cannot find this trimpot anywhere. My unit has four trimpots on the face (Gyro null, Span, L & R Cal). Each of these is also referenced, so I don't think it is a mis-label.

Can anyone tell me where to find the "Trim Range" trimpot?

Thanks for your assistance.

Larry

It has been many years since I flew the Navaid, but I think you may be referring to the Trim Control knob on the front panel of the device.

But if I was you, I wouldn't waste time on the Navaid. The digital autopilots are lightyears better than the obsolete analog Navaid. Kinda like comparing an old b/w TV with rabbit ears to a high definition LED flat screen. :)

Here is an article I wrote about ten years ago when I ditched the Navaid and went with the then newly introduced Trio EZ-Pilot:

http://thervjournal.com/EZ_Pilot.htm

Last edited:
My Navaid AP-1 instrument has 5 trim pots on the face just above the inclinometer. The "trim range" trim pot is the center one. Does your instrument have "AP-1" on the left hand side, underneath the TK-TC-WL?

My Navaid AP-1 instrument has 5 trim pots on the face just above the inclinometer. The "trim range" trim pot is the center one. Does your instrument have "AP-1" on the left hand side, underneath the TK-TC-WL?

Yes. Mine has only four trimpots, not 5. I must have an early version. It seems that the Trim range trimpot was added to keep from using the "trim" dial as the permanent method of trim control as this control is removed from the logic when put into tracking mode.

I guess that I could just use it as a wing leveler without coupling to a GPS (my ultimate goal). Maybe I should bite the bullet and add a Trio to my avionics list.

I will be getting the Dynon D100 as my EFIS. Any thoughts on the Dynon AP vs the Trio? I am looking to keep somewhat on a budget. Obviously, I would want to use the Navaid servo that I have. I know the Trio will support it.

Thanks for the help here.

Larry

Autopilot

Larry, listen to Sam!
It's not worth the headache to try and make the obsolete Navaid work.
The Trio is almost plug-n-play. When I switched all I had to do was one test flight, entering a couple numbers a couple times to get it set for my plane and weight. After that, when you engage it, it's hands off!
Good luck!

My obsolete Navaid flew me all over the country just fine for 7 years. Not all of us are working with the same budget....

Not having the ?Trim Range? trim pot on the face of the instrument just means that you will have to manually adjust the servo per page 15 of the users manual to dial it in. Not a convenient process, because you have to open up the floor boards and get into the servo to do this. In my case, I have done this twice in 17 years of flying my RV-6.
All of this should have no impact on your ability to couple the Navaid to a GPS. I have mine coupled to the GPS and the localizer output of the KX-155, with a selector switch. Works just fine.
If you decide to continue with the Navaid, I?d be happy to answer anymore questions, just PM me and we can take it off line.

Navaid

Before you get to involved in the Navaid install, I have a EZ Pilot control head which is almost a direct replacement for the Navaid control head. Uses the Navaid servo with a very miner wiring change. If you would like more info, contact me at. [email protected]
Rich
RV 6. N 721ET

Between my Long-EZ and RV-9A, I've flown the Navaid for 25 yrs and never had one fail. I've never messed with the internal pots, flew it as it can out of the box with no problems.

In my -9A I have it interfaced to the Smart Coupler with inputs from GRT, or AvMap, or KX-155 Loc/GS. Works fine lasts long time.

Want to Buy Nav Aid AP-1

Help!!

My Nav Aid AP-1 burned up yesterday! Servo still works fine. I know about the TRIO unit, but would like very much to keep it simple, and simply replace the AP-1 head.

Anybody have one for sale??

Ken Bruggers
214-692-1995

Dallas, TX
RV4 N913F

My obsolete Navaid flew me all over the country just fine for 7 years. Not all of us are working with the same budget....

So did mine.

At about 900 hours on the Navaid, it died and I replaced it with a Plug - N - Play Trio EZ Pilot.

The new stuff is A Lot Better. If you have a Navaid, I would use it if it is not too much trouble to get working. If I had to spend a lot of time trying to get it working, I would just upgrade to the current digital stuff.

An autopilot is a nice safety and fuel saving feature to have in a flying cross-country airplane. If my old autopilot did not work, I would find the money in my pension money to get one of the new plug-n-play replacement units.

I put a Trio Pro Pilot in 55BC and have one in my rocket. I flew for over 10 years with the Navaid and it got me around just fine. They're easy to fly with if you understand their quirks. If I had to make an upgrade choice today I would likely stick with a Navaid.

I should clarify...anyone knowledgeable in electronics could diagnose/fix a Navaid...one can't upgrade to one. Being one of those types and having flown with several different autopilots I think a Navaid still works pretty dang good. Much better than some of the old wing levelers in certificated aircraft.

The TRIO at TRIO

I spent a couple of days with the Trio at Trio last week. Those guys are amazing. They bent over backwards to assist me with the NAVAID servo I have. I bought a Trio control head here from a member and it came with an old servo. To make a long story short, I now have their custom servo bracket in the right wing. Wiring run finished and one test flight was all it took to dial in the wing level numbers. In heavy turbulence enroute to Page today... it tracked like a champ. The TOP, track offset position makes very good sense to me... as I see students passing me by with heads down staring at the magenta line.
The emergency 180 turn function works like a charm. Tried it at 16,000 feet today. LOVE IT.
When my servo dies a timely death... I will buy the gold servo from Trio and modernize the hardware. The company founders have an enormous range of experience and expertise. They offered assistance in a heartbeat... and had me on my way. What a pleasure to do business with! (thank you Sid...and I believe that might have been you I saw running naked around the South Pole)

I spent a couple of days with the Trio at Trio last week. Those guys are amazing. They bent over backwards to assist me with the NAVAID servo I have. I bought a Trio control head here from a member and it came with an old servo. To make a long story short, I now have their custom servo bracket in the right wing. Wiring run finished and one test flight was all it took to dial in the wing level numbers. In heavy turbulence enroute to Page today... it tracked like a champ. The TOP, track offset position makes very good sense to me... as I see students passing me by with heads down staring at the magenta line.
The emergency 180 turn function works like a charm. Tried it at 16,000 feet today. LOVE IT.
When my servo dies a timely death... I will buy the gold servo from Trio and modernize the hardware. The company founders have an enormous range of experience and expertise. They offered assistance in a heartbeat... and had me on my way. What a pleasure to do business with! (thank you Sid...and I believe that might have been you I saw running naked around the South Pole)

Yep, the Trio dudes are indeed a special group.

One was on the leading edge of the Palm Pilot development, another kept submarine ballistic missiles pointed the correct way, and another has a mountain in Antarctica named after him (in addition to being a neurosurgeon).

And they are super nice guys who build a great autopilot. :)

Navaid

Help!!

My Nav Aid AP-1 burned up yesterday! Servo still works fine. I know about the TRIO unit, but would like very much to keep it simple, and simply replace the AP-1 head.

Anybody have one for sale??

Ken Bruggers
214-692-1995

Dallas, TX
RV4 N913F

Ken,
Where are you based? I think I have my Navaid control head on a shelf in my hangar. I'll check right after breakfast today. Email me if you want it.
mrr9447 at yahoo
Mike

I just read the install manual last night for the AP-1.
Found it funny to read the bold print paragraph that said: Make Dam? sure you can over ride the servo. Only the author didn't use family friendly symbols. Don't see any blunt advice like that today. I think I miss that.

Back