What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what was/is your best mod?

flyingreg

Inquiring mind(s) would like to know what your favorite or best mod was to your RV? I know there are many, so let's here about them. I am hard at building my 8 and my inquiring mind would like to hear about and see your mods. Pictures are most welcome.

Make Gear Towers Accessible

While I can't say I made this mod, if I was going to build another -8, there is NO question that making the inside of the gear towers accessible would be the top of my list. By the time I became aware of this, I was well down the road and decided not to try this after the fuse was complete. Take the time to do this and you'll thank yourself many times down the road.

63rcep.jpg

Hard to beat the .50 cals! But mine's the 1/4" steel rod at the mid hinge point in the -8 ride pedals. I believe I was the first with that back in the day! :D

Almost a 14

I added AntiSplat's "Almost a 14" mod to my RV-9a. Made a big improvement in comfort on long cross-country flights.

xbb6fb.jpg

Finally, after my second annual/condition inspection, I decided it was time to stop swearing at this part every time I tried to get it in and out. Makes inspections, routine maintenance, and upgrades that require tunnel work much easier and, therefore, much more likely to get done!

I plan on doing the gear tower mod and I already have the foil gear from Grove.

The .50 cals are cool, let's hope you never need to use them.

Steve, what part of your 9 is that we're looking at. I'm sorry I don't recognize it.

Keep your mods coming, this is enlightening as well as interesting.

Put a hinged access panel in the bulkhead between the front baggage compartment and the back of the panel on my RV-8. Not flying yet and already glad I did this.

Some time back Doug Reeves and Jay Pratt posted a VAF video highlight all the mods Jay came up with for -8's going through his shop. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the video. Jay, Doug?

I remember watching it and was impressed with all the mods Jay had come up with.

That radial installation is really looking GREATTTTT!!!!!

Almost makes me want to build another one...

As far as mods, the canopy guides on the tipper which keep the canopy centered while lowering it.
Got the idea from the 25 years of Van's aircraft book, well I think that is the name, I am not at home to look at it.

There are a lot of small things that help.
Smilin' Jack

Removable Co-Pilot Stick

I have to say the Removable Co-Pilot stick with the quick release button has been great on my 7. Only 56 hours into it but I've used it no less than 25 times whether it's for maintenance access to get under the panel, kiddo car seats, strapping in weight for test flights or the wife's comfort. Super easy to make and even easier to use.
I also like my fully hinged rudder pedals with brake return springs, cowling hinge covers and oil door hidden hinge and flush buttons, heated seats, grips fit just the way I like them, cowling exit ramp and no paint so I'm not afraid to take it apart and make more favorite modifications!

Last edited:
U tube

Some time back Doug Reeves and Jay Pratt posted a VAF video highlight all the mods Jay came up with for -8's going through his shop. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the video. Jay, Doug?

I remember watching it and was impressed with all the mods Jay had come up with.

Try typing in Jay Pratt on You Tube

Speed sloped windshield

The windshield is my favorite mod...and also the hardest.

Gives me that fighter look I was going for.
This pic was from the first test flight August 13, 2011.

N784DE.jpg

8 rear pedals mod

Hard to beat the .50 cals! But mine's the 1/4" steel rod at the mid hinge point in the -8 ride pedals. I believe I was the first with that back in the day! :D

Hi Bryan,

I searched the forum for this but did not find anything on your 1/4" rod mod.

In a word (or photo) can you describe this mod?

Thanks,

Best mod that makes my flying more enjoyable on every flight: ASA's Almost an RV 14 mod.

Best mod that I never notice (and hope that continues): ASA's full suite of nose gear mods.

IMG_2856.jpg

i have it on my list of things to do to my rv. opening up the cowl exit helps the cooling but doesn't hurt the speed. :cool:

thanks roger for the pic and info.

Hi Bryan,

I searched the forum for this but did not find anything on your 1/4" rod mod.

In a word (or photo) can you describe this mod?

Thanks,
Good morning Eric,

Basically, you install 1/4" steel rod across the mid section of the -8 rudder pedal. It acts as a point to push the pedal, but allows for easily *not* riding the brakes when you don't want to ride the brakes.

To install it, drill out the 3/16" dia side to 1/4". Cut a section of rod that extends 5/16" beyond each side of the pedal assy. Install a washer and a set screw collar on each side. I used Loctite. Hasn't budged in 14+ years. Simple, cheap, effective. (You could install a sleeve over the rod, between the pedal sides, if you felt that you needed to assure that the outboard side of the pedal didn't separate. Hasn't been a problem for me.)

Couldn't find a decent photo. But linked below is a sketch of the mod over a stock pedal assy photo. Let me know if you have questions.

Bryan

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...A/TlUKujm680I/w958-h719-no/rv-8+pedal+mod.jpg

Last edited:
Cabin floor tunnel cover & check -six mirror.

Finally, after my second annual/condition inspection, I decided it was time to stop swearing at this part every time I tried to get it in and out. Makes inspections, routine maintenance, and upgrades that require tunnel work much easier and, therefore, much more likely to get done!

+1 to making the tunnel cover 2-piece.
I did it with tin snips at my first annual.....so it's not nearly as pretty.
I wondered...'who on earth thought making it one-piece, was a good idea?????'

Made a rear-view mirror from a scrap of broken convex plastic, always use it to check the trim.... and mammals approaching from the rear!

I have to say the Removable Co-Pilot stick with the quick release button has been great on my 7. Only 56 hours into it but I've used it no less than 25 times whether it's for maintenance access to get under the panel, kiddo car seats, strapping in weight for test flights or the wife's comfort. Super easy to make and even easier to use.
I also like my fully hinged rudder pedals with brake return springs, cowling hinge covers and oil door hidden hinge and flush buttons, heated seats, grips fit just the way I like them, cowling exit ramp and no paint so I'm not afraid to take it apart and make more favorite modifications!

Andy,

I sent you a pm, I would like to know a little about your mods, they sounds great.

Brent, do you have a write-up anywhere of how you did the sloped windshield mod? I'm fascinated - it looks incredible!

My best mod? Showplanes fastback canopy mod. Looks good, fast(er), amazing visibility, easy access behind panel when needed.

My best mod? Showplanes fastback canopy mod. Looks good, fast(er), amazing visibility, easy access behind panel when needed.

Second that, for sure. I'd never go back to a slider.

As an aside, the increase in rear baggage volume is a big deal. I've had full size folding chairs back there, and this past weekend a semi-hard shell suit bag.

The center roll bar is a big deal too....a tall, firm handhold to get all kinds of folks into the back seat.

Second that, for sure. I'd never go back to a slider.

As an aside, the increase in rear baggage volume is a big deal. I've had full size folding chairs back there, and this past weekend a semi-hard shell suit bag.

The center roll bar is a big deal too....a tall, firm handhold to get all kinds of folks into the back seat.
Dan, That tall mid-cabin weldment ever block view or get in the way flying??

Good morning Eric,

Basically, you install 1/4" steel rod across the mid section of the -8 rudder pedal. It acts as a point to push the pedal, but allows for easily *not* riding the brakes when you don't want to ride the brakes.

Couldn't find a decent photo. But linked below is a sketch of the mod over a stock pedal assy photo. Let me know if you have questions.

Bryan

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...A/TlUKujm680I/w958-h719-no/rv-8+pedal+mod.jpg

Thanks Bryan, very clear.

So it's basically similar in function to the pedal extensions that I see on other's builds.

I thought yours was a mod concerning the rear rudder pedals...

Best,

Back