What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad and night flight not good

turbo

Well Known Member
my first experience with the mini ipad at night was not good. with the brightness turned all the way down it was still to much. with a white back ground of an ifr chart or approach plate i am sure it would of been much worst. any ideas on how to reduce the brightness? :confused:

if that was not enough i was faced with a gusting to 25 direct cross wind due to the other two runways being closed because of the airshow weekend. :eek:
with 1/2 flaps and 90 mph approach speed it was a wild ride to the runway. the airplane is still flyable. good morning to all rvators. annual inspection starts today, windy and cool.
Night-Flight-TV-series-title-screen.jpg

my first experience with the mini ipad at night was not good. with the brightness turned all the way down it was still to much. with a white back ground of an ifr chart or approach plate i am sure it would of been much worst. any ideas on how to reduce the brightness? :confused:

On Foreflight, touch the MORE ... tab at the bottom Right of the screen. Now tap Settings> At the top of the right side of the screen is a brightness control that you turn town AFTER you turn down the Apple screen brightness.

Have a number of night hours using the iPad 2 and it worked great for me.

Ipad settings has a dimmer and another in foreflight. Between the two, it works perfect at night. I've done several night flights with my ipad, no issues. I believe I put the ipad settings dimmer at about half mast, then do my adjusting from within foreflight. Give it a shot.

Hardware AND App brightness settings

I can only speak from my WingX experience with a Gen 2 iPad.

WingX has it's own brightness and night mode settings in addition to the hardware brightness settings on the iPad.

If your App has similar settings, another night flight or dark room experiment may be in order.

Xavion also has its own brightness control beyond the IPad limits. Works fine at night

Turbo,

When I fly my 8 to work it's always dark on one side of the trip. My 11 yr old son showed me how to "triple click" color inversion.

I use the white ifr chart and triple click the home button. You might have to enable this on your settings?

4156a9767fee00359d7e7ff06ade3990_zps38eaccb2.jpg

E2E31800-B2B2-429C-8797-F0E3B40372F1-882-00000232C845FE11_zps61a347eb.jpg

I had to take a photo because the screen shot function erases the inversion for the photo?

Sounds like "User Error" to me....:)

Make sure you set the system brightness down to minimum.
THEN in Foreflight, on the upper left of the screen the "Setting" star button has a brightness selector. It can be reduced to almost a black screen.

What iOS system are you running on your iPad mini? If it's the latest (iOS 7) you can access the system control panel with a single swipe of one finger (swipe up from just off the bottom of the screen and a bunch of control options come up)

No charge for todays lesson ....:D More lessons, we will talk. :D:D

Last edited:
Night mode

I don't know about the IPad mini but on the IPad 3 press the push button 3 times on the front and it goes into night mode. Press 3 more times and its back to day mode.

thanks guys for the help. i knew there was a easy solution. love that i pad mini. yes it has the latest stuff.

GLP, yes i have that up swipe thing down pat. ;)

Back