What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Effect of buying a partially complete kit

Bradg33

I have been very interested in building an RV8 for years. I've done some research, and it's my understanding that it's important that I build the plane, rather than buy one, so that I can get a repairman's certificate for it. I understand that lots of a&ps won't work on homebuilts, making that cert. important. So, if I buy partially completed kits, what's the effect on the ability to get a repairman's certificate.

No Problem

Both of my RV's were projects in progress. The first one, flying, was about QB stage when I got it. The second one was just under QB stage.

No problem getting the Repairman's Certificate on the first and I don't anticipate any problems getting it on the second one.

I think finding a project in progress is a great way to go with a good pre buy inspection with some one knowledgable. You save time, taxes and usually considerable money.

Good luck.

Both of my RV's were projects in progress. The first one, flying, was about QB stage when I got it. The second one was just under QB stage.

No problem getting the Repairman's Certificate on the first and I don't anticipate any problems getting it on the second one.

I think finding a project in progress is a great way to go with a good pre buy inspection with some one knowledgable. You save time, taxes and usually considerable money.

Good luck.
A little looking indicates that the "primary" builder, even if a second builder, can get one.

I have an A&P do my inspection. Lots of people buy RVs and I do not hear common complaints of no one doing the condition inspection.

Why not ask at your airport/EAA chapter to see if there are A&Ps who will do the condition inspection. If so, buying a completed RV is then a viable option.

RV-friendly A&Ps in KC

There are several A&Ps, including A&P/IA's in the KC area that work on (and own) RVs.

I know of at least two that are members of EAA Chapter 91 here at Lee's Summit (KLXT).

Best,
Mike

I vote with RV7guy

I bought a fairly well/almost completed kit,.... then spent a year and a half making mods and adding equipment. With documentation that I spent time working (pictures and log book) and learned something (inspector asked me to bring a "xx size" wrench, so I brought what he asked for and also the correct size wrench for the application, etc) I got the repairman certificate without a problem.

Will also agree you should get someone very familiar with PROPER building techniques to help with a pre-buy inspection, so you are not buying salvage aluminum, and you get a feel for what lies ahead.

Seeing several that are doing all or part of the condition inspection, and having an A&P take a look as a cross check. (alternative, go read how Team RV does their checks and cross checks on airplane mechanical condition)

Good luck.

Hi Darwin, you mentioned taxes and I am a little confused. Since Vans is in Oregon I assumed we would not pay any sales tax on kits.:confused:

Hi Darwin, you mentioned taxes and I am a little confused. Since Vans is in Oregon I assumed we would not pay any sales tax on kits.:confused:

You don't pay taxes when you purchase the kits. You will pay either a sales or use tax when the plane is registered to the state you live in. You just converted a pile of non-taxable parts into a taxable asset in the minds of the state's tax authority. Each state is slightly different on their tax laws. Talk with another local builder to understand the process for your state. Most states will send a "you owe us" letter as soon as you register the aircraft with the FAA.

I've done some research, and it's my understanding that it's important that I build the plane, rather than buy one, so that I can get a repairman's certificate for it. I understand that lots of a&ps won't work on homebuilts, making that cert. important.

You can work on a purchased completed RV all you want, you just can't do the annual without the repairman's cert..

Back