What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anyone able to charge their ipad in flight?

philip_g

Well Known Member
New to using the iPad with wingx. I bought a 2.1 amp adapter to charge it from a cigarette lighter plug but while running wingx plugged in it still kills the battery. Is there any way to charge it or at least keep up with the battery use in flight?

Maybe you have the same adaptor I have, sorry I don't have the model here, it's a one piece, white unit with two USB ports. BUT, note carefully, only one of the ports is 2 amps and supports the iPad. The other is for a cell phone.

Skyview?

2 USB ports

iPhone charges
iPad won't charge but runs off the USB without pulling power from iPad battery.

As Bob mentioned make sure your charger is for a Ipad and not for a Iphone or Ipod. Same plug on all of them but different charging outputs. If its for a Ipod it will charge a Ipad but very slowly.

George

As Bob mentioned make sure your charger is for a Ipad and not for a Iphone or Ipod. Same plug on all of them but different charging outputs. If its for a Ipod it will charge a Ipad but very slowly.

George

I got one of these, it has a 2.1 amp USB for the iPad but just can't tread water

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-cigare...399&sr=8-1&keywords=Car+iPad+charger+splitter

The wall charger outputs 2.1a and 5v from what I can tell so I guess it either just isn't possible with the ipad3 or the charger or cable just isn't up to snuff for some reason.
Mind you I'm just testing it in the car not in flight yet just to make sure I can rely on extra power if I need it

Last edited:
If the brightness is all the way up you will not be able to charge it very fast, if at all. Sometimes it will use battery faster than it will charge. Lower brightness levels allow it to charge much faster, which isn't helpful for day flight. Mine will keep a charge on full bright and maybe lose a few percent on a several hour cross country. If I just turn the screen off/put it in sleep mode it charges back up.

If the brightness is all the way up you will not be able to charge it very fast, if at all. Sometimes it will use battery faster than it will charge. Lower brightness levels allow it to charge much faster, which isn't helpful for day flight. Mine will keep a charge on full bright and maybe lose a few percent on a several hour cross country. If I just turn the screen off/put it in sleep mode it charges back up.

That's probably it then. In the car today I lost 4 percent in 30 minutes.

My experience

I have an iPad 2 and a new iPad. The iPad 2 will charge in the airplane with Foreflight running and brightness up. The new iPad will not, in fact will discharge when running Foreflight and plugged into the same power source in the same airplane. That is my experience.

New to using the iPad with wingx. I bought a 2.1 amp adapter to charge it from a cigarette lighter plug but while running wingx plugged in it still kills the battery. Is there any way to charge it or at least keep up with the battery use in flight?

I have a CHEAP eBay 2100 mA charger and it works in my airplane charging while using Foreflight on my iPad 2. (State of charge increases while using the iPad.)

What would you need more than 7 amps for in flight?

Hair dryer, shaver? tanning light?.....:D

Pizza oven, mini fridge, portable ac etc. :p

This is in a shared 182, it doesn't have an intercom so I run that, the iPad, an external gps for the iPad if I need to etc..

This charger will mount in your panel and charge an iPad and iPhone simultaneously.

http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

If you purchase an adapter that fits in a cigarette socket, it must say specifically that it will charge an Apple iPad, because it needs some circuitry on the data pins to tell the iPad that it is plugged into a 10 watt, Apple charger.

Here is another thread about USB chargers: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87369&highlight=usb+power There are a number of threads on the forum if you search for USB charger.

Last edited:
New iPad Charging

When I purchased my New iPad I didn't change a thing. My original iPad maintained or increased the charge level. The New iPad is harder to charge. On a recent trip to Florida, we left DFW area at 0830 and arrived in Destin around 1230. I never turned off the iPad while at our refuel stop and we had over 80% charge at shutdown. So, no it won't keep it at 100% but yes it will keep it charging enough to keep it going for a long trip. That's what I witnessed.

I read the data sheet to say the 3 amps is the sum of a 2 amp USB port (Ipad) and a 1 amp USB port (phone).

It is the built-in equivalent of the common dual port devices that plug into a cig. socket.

Me too. The adapter I have already supplies one 2.1 and one 1.0 amp usb.

> ...
It is the built-in equivalent of the common dual port devices that plug into a cig. socket.

I'm not sure of the definition of "common" as it applies to the devices that plug into a cig. socket. The two voltage pins of the USB port will supply whatever current the load requires up to the wires ability or the fuse or circuit breaker capacity. However the Apple devices that require 5 watts, certain iPhones, or 10 watts, iPads, will only "rapid" charge if they see the proper voltage pair on the data pins. Other tablets like the Samsung Galaxy tablet will only rapid charge if it sees a single voltage on the two data pins tied together. Other tablets, like the new Google Nexus will only charge if it sees the two data pins shorted together. All of the tablets and the iPhone look at the data pins for a certain signal before allowing rapid charging. Some of the devices like the Samsung Galaxy tablet will go into trickle charge mode if it doesn't see the proper voltage. This is to protect the common computer USB port from damage because the port was never designed as a high watt charging station. Therefore, some of the USB charging devices sold at Amazon and auto parts stores will not "rapid" charge Tablets and/or certain phones, and some will.

Specs...

I'm not sure of the definition of "common" as it applies to the devices that plug into a cig. socket. The two voltage pins of the USB port will supply whatever current the load requires up to the wires ability or the fuse or circuit breaker capacity. However the Apple devices that require 5 watts, certain iPhones, or 10 watts, iPads, will only "rapid" charge if they see the proper voltage pair on the data pins. Other tablets like the Samsung Galaxy tablet will only rapid charge if it sees a single voltage on the two data pins tied together. Other tablets, like the new Google Nexus will only charge if it sees the two data pins shorted together. All of the tablets and the iPhone look at the data pins for a certain signal before allowing rapid charging. Some of the devices like the Samsung Galaxy tablet will go into trickle charge mode if it doesn't see the proper voltage. This is to protect the common computer USB port from damage because the port was never designed as a high watt charging station. Therefore, some of the USB charging devices sold at Amazon and auto parts stores will not "rapid" charge Tablets and/or certain phones, and some will.

My comment was on the multiple "common" dual port chargers rated at 2.1 amps in one USB port and 1 amp in the other USB port. There are many of them. Even our grocery supermarket sold one...:rolleyes:

Reading the specifications of the link you provided seems to say that the "built-in" one has exactly the same current specifications.

Is that not the case?

Last edited:
My comment was on the multiple "common" dual port chargers rated at 2.1 amps in one USB port and 1 amp in the other USB port. There are many of them. Even our grocery supermarket sold one...:rolleyes:

Reading the specifications of the link you provided seems to say that the "built-in" one has exactly the same current specifications.

Is that not the case?
That is the case for charging Apple devices. One port conforms to the Apple spec for 10 watt charging, and the other port conforms to the Apple spec for 5 watt charging. This is done by setting two different voltages on the data pins. So for Apple charging the power output capability is at least 3 A, but the charge pump that I use is good for 5 A, and if you plug devices in that only require raw power, the unit is capable of putting out 5 A at 5 Volt. Wanting to build a conservative device, I advertise it as a 3A charger and recommend that you fuse it at no more that 2 A, representing about 25 watts which would still allow you to pull 5 A from the charger, but I don't recommend that.

One of the things to keep in mind is that other manufacturer's phones and tablets may not charge on a device that conforms to the Apple configurations. For instance a Samsung Galaxy tablet or a Google Nexus tablet and some Blackberry telephones will not charge on a charger with the Apple configuration. This is why I questioned what the word "common" means for USB chargers. The most common USB chargers that plug into a cig. socket won't rapid charge any tablet and some telephones if they have no voltage levels on the data pins and/or the data pins aren't shorted together. As it stands now, no one can design a "common" charger that will work with every device that can charge through a USB connector and unfortunately the industry has no standards for charging batteries through the USB port because it was never designed to do that, although there is now a battery charging sub committee for the USB port specifications as I understand it.

did you see this in the description? not sure if it's a typo or what.

It's not a typo. That unit will not "rapid" charge an iPhone or iPod, nor will it charge and iPad because it has no circuitry on the data pins to tell the Apple device that it is plugged into an Apple capable charger.

Last edited:
Well, guess newer isn't always better. That settles it then.Thanks all
Don't be so quick to discount your options. I purchased this unit for my iPad 3. I have flown with it on 3 long X-country trips now of 3 hours or more each leg. It keeps the unit charged while in flight without any problems. It is working great for me.

Cool! Cheap enough I ordered two for testing. Thanks for the link!
Please let us know how it works. It appears from the last picture of the device that the data pins are soldered together, with the possibility of adding some resistors on the pads labeled R4, R6, R5, R3. However with the data pins soldered together, there is no way to make it work for Apple devices. They need a different voltage on each data pin.

Last edited:
No I didn't, but it would be simple enough to rewire the usb port appropriately.

??? Where would you mount the two resistor ladders needed for Apple devices? Or are you talking about cutting off the USB connector and putting on a new one with the proper circuitry?

All the chargers I have seen are 2.1 amps max.

Here is one rated at 3 amps, but only on the wall 115 volt input -

https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/assets/datasheets/TRAVEL_PACK_ENG_datasheet.pdf

No experience with it, but I too was wondering why my Ipad didn't charge while in use...

In the case of this device, the smarts are in the Magic Cable Duo that fools your high current Apple devices into thinking that they are connected to an Apple charger. There are other companies that make these smart cables that allow any bare USB charger to work with Apple devices and other tablets, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=mobile&field-keywords=csquid

I used a 7805 to make a 5V source and mounted it directly on the sub panel as a heat sink. Then used a small 100K pot wired as a bridge to make the 2.0 volt necessary for the data wires to make it charge. Just adjusted it untill the Ipad started charging. By supplying 2.0V to both data wires it will charge at 500mah wich will slowly charge mine in flight running Charts Pro with the GPS and using the ipod portion of it to send music to the intercom through the audio line out.

If you configure the data wires with two seperate voltages you can make it charge faster.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

http://hackedgadgets.com/2010/08/05/apples-proprietary-charging-circuit/

I have noticed that if I forget and leave the wifi on it will not really charge. ie its about break even on the charge and discharge.

This is a iPad 2.

In the case of this device, the smarts are in the Magic Cable Duo that fools your high current Apple devices into thinking that they are connected to an Apple charger. There are other companies that make these smart cables that allow any bare USB charger to work with Apple devices and other tablets, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=mobile&field-keywords=csquid

well, maybe it is the cable. For S&G's I set the ipad out on the kitchen table, connected to the wall charger and cranked the screen to bright, no loss of juice but no charge either in about a half hour. Good enough for me, going flying tomorrow I'll try the cig adapter and the apple cable and see where it goes.

Now, if I could only figure out why wingx isn't displaying the TFR directly adjacent to my route of flight, that really bothers me.

well, 3 hour mountain flight and with the ipad plugged into my 2.1 amp usb charger and the apple cable I left the airplane at about 60% battery.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll just grab an extended battery. Fewer wires anyway!

Please let us know how it works. It appears from the last picture of the device that the data pins are soldered together, with the possibility of adding some resistors on the pads labeled R4, R6, R5, R3. However with the data pins soldered together, there is no way to make it work for Apple devices. They need a different voltage on each data pin.

Well it took a while but the cheap little buggers finally arrived. Not wanting to risk my iPad on an unknown USB charger I first plugged in an old unused MP3 player. All good, charged like a champ. Then I tried my work phone, actually hoping it might get fried :D. It charged fine as well. Moment of truth - iPad 2. Plugged it in, and viola, after about a one-second delay (perhaps circuitry in the chip distinguishes an iPad somehow and adjusts voltages on the data pins accordingly?) the iPad charges while in use. Exactly what I wanted and for a pittance on ebay. I couldn't be happier.

Here's a pic of Danny and the 'Doll as proof:
15n5f8x.jpg

Last edited:
Well it took a while but the cheap little buggers finally arrived. Not wanting to risk my iPad on an unknown USB charger I first plugged in an old unused MP3 player. All good, charged like a champ. Then I tried my work phone, actually hoping it might get fried :D. It charged fine as well. Moment of truth - iPad 2. Plugged it in, and viola, after about a one-second delay (perhaps circuitry in the chip distinguishes an iPad somehow and adjusts voltages on the data pins accordingly?) the iPad charges while in use. Exactly what I wanted and for a pittance on ebay. I couldn't be happier.

Here's a pic of Danny and the 'Doll as proof:
15n5f8x.jpg

Still going strong?

You pays your money and takes your chances.

I recently bought an IPAD Mini. Looks like it will do the job with WingX Pro and Navworx ADS-B ...

My post has to do with the charger/converter. I saw a great deal on Amazon... two USB to Lightning cables and a 2-port charger (2A and 1A).

The lightning end of the cables are a little different shape than the Apple product and so wouldn't fit into my Ram Mount holder. Bummer... I'll have to use the white cord instead of black. I'll use the black one at home.

First one black cable, then the other seemed to operate intermittently. I kept getting the message "This device not supported". I figured the microelectronics in the cable tip were funky. The company I purchased it from is reputable, they sent me a new cable free of charge.

Then I plugged the converter into my cigarette lighter outlet. It appeared to charge as it should but the squelch on both my GNS430 and SL30 broke. I could not increase the squelch level high enough to handle the interference.

I purchased a Belkin 10watt 2.1A charger and it works just fine with no interference. I bought a genuine Apple cable for home.

The other piece of _ _ _ _ I bought was only 9.99 with the cables, so I shall use it as a car charger, if I can get the cables to work. Not worth the postage or hassle to send it back.

Moral of the story ... well, you know... it's cheap for a reason. To quote my wife "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten".

Don

Picked up an XtremeMac 2.1 amp car charger yesterday at our local Office Max store. It was clearance priced at $12.50. A pretty good deal.

They had 5 or 6 on the shelf.

Jim Butcher

I have used several different chargers in the past year or so of owning the iPad. The latest one I am using is one of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=125-362

I purchased it (actually bought 4 of them) from http://www.parts-express.com. I have used them for many electrical needs in the past. They have very good prices for electronic components. An interesting thing though, after I purchased this charger from them, I have noticed in the past few weeks my local LOWES store has this identical item for sale at their check out counter for the same price. They are selling for around $6.00 or so. It looks like LOWES may have their buyers using the same supplier as the PARTS-EXPRESS.COM buyers.

Well anyway, these chargers have been working great for me and are at such a low price I bought enough to have in the plane and all the cars I use.

I just ordered one of these to use instead of a "cigarette lighter" on the panel.

http://www.commitlift.com/usbchargers.html

Too bad they go belly up above 15 V. While I'm not an electrical expert, seems to me that a properly robust device should be able to survive a higher over-voltage than that. Granted, it takes something like a regulator failure to get that high, but over an airplane's life, that's not unusual.

Dave

Ipad USB Chargers sold at SteinAir.com

SteinAir is now selling USB Chargers for Ipads, Iphones, Ipods, etc.. They offer two types of chargers: a black DC power plug insert charger and a black Panel Mount charger.

12vdc input and a 1.5a output

Check them out at: http://steinair.com/store.cfm?tlcatid=1

Back