What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATO-035x3/8 Soft Aluminum tubing

sonny junell

Well Known Member
Any one know of a place to find this ATO-035x3/8 alum tubing, I need some by the end of the day, I am in the Dallas area.

I was going to try local hardware store at a last resort :(, and maybe try a aircraft supply first, that's probably futile, and by the end of the day I will probably just be on the phone with van's ordering it and waiting two weeks to start back on my fuel system.

Every time I get a few steps ahead I will hit a plateau and get two weeks behind!

Soft Tubing

Sonny...

I also had problems forming fuel lines in 2004 when I completed my RV6 and tried to purchase some locally then but few places carry it since it has been replaced by plastics in most applications. I do live in a small town which doesn't help but I also tried heating and air conditioning firms where it was used extensively a few years before but they are no longer using it. I just ordered from Van's with a little extra just in case.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 300 hours
RV8 Fuselage
Northfield, MN

Thank you for your generosity, and the suggestion of trying a HVAC - I didn't even think about that, and I am A/C guy.

I had a lot of help from FED-EX getting behind this week,:mad: and If i can't find some tomorrow I will call spruce, Thanks again for the info.

partssearch.gif

Last edited:
Suppliers in Dallas

Any one know of a place to find this ATO-035x3/8 alum tubing, I need some by the end of the day, I am in the Dallas area.

I was going to try local hardware store at a last resort :(, and maybe try a aircraft supply first, that's probably futile, and by the end of the day I will probably just be on the phone with van's ordering it and waiting two weeks to start back on my fuel system.

Every time I get a few steps ahead I will hit a plateau and get two weeks behind!

Sonny,
There is an M&M Aerospace Hardware distributor in Dallas. (Actually, it's been bought out by BE) I use the facility here in Miami. This outfit has EVERYTHING, including stuff you didn't know existed. See

http://www.mmaero.com/cm/products/products.cfm

They require that you set up an account with them. They do sell to the private individual though. I usually just drive down to Miami and pick stuff up from the WILL CALL desk, when I need it right away. I would also check Aviall. They are based in Dallas. I've bought stuff from their Fort Lauderdale location. I know that they stock aircraft tubing. See

http://www.aviall.com/cgi-bin/index.jsp

What you are asking for is called Versitube 3003. FYI, I would forget the Versitube and ask for 5052-0 tubing of the same size and thickness. Certified aircraft all use 5052-0, rather than Versitube 3003.
5052-0 comes in 6 foot and 12 foot straight lengths (no having to straighten out coiled tubing)
5052-0 has twice the pressure rating of Versitube 3003. 5052-0 is also much more durable. 3003 is easy to scratch or nick when making tight or multiple bends. This doesn't happen with 5052-0. I used my Versitube 3003 to make "practice" parts. I then made the final parts from 5052-0 which I had purchased from ACS (before I found out about Aviall and M&M)

Charlie Kuss
PS ATO is just Vans speak for aluminum tubing. -35 means that the tubing is .035" wall thickness. X3/8 means that it's 3/8" diameter or #6 in aviation speak. Asking for ATO-35X3/8 at any real aviation supply house will merely get you a dumb stare. Dumb meaning what they think of you. 5052-0 comes in both .035" and .049" thick wall tubing. For more info see

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumtube_5052.php

I think I've read that book on your last post. Thanks for the laugh

Last edited:
I second the motion for going with 5052 instead. Much better to work with, and much more resilient in the field.

tube alloy

"Some experimental and light-sport aircraft have hydraulic and fuel lines built with 6061-0 or 3003-0 tubing. This is cheapness taken to the extreme and a step backward in time. The aircraft industry's long experience with copper tubing failures proved the importance of fatigue strength. 5052-0 has higher strength and higher fatigue strength at a small price difference."

Quote from http://www.mechanicsupport.com/tube_strength.html

A builder site discussing fuel and brake lines says that "Van's uses aluminum tubing made of 3003-series alloy for all the fuel and brake system plumbing".

While it is likely unfair and over the top to characterize that as "cheapness taken to the extreme", rather than an economical and suitable choice proven by years of satisfactory in-service experience, it may be something that builders wish to consider.
Bill Brooks
RV-6A
Ottawa, ON

"Some experimental and light-sport aircraft have hydraulic and fuel lines built with 6061-0 or 3003-0 tubing. This is cheapness taken to the extreme and a step backward in time. The aircraft industry's long experience with copper tubing failures proved the importance of fatigue strength. 5052-0 has higher strength and higher fatigue strength at a small price difference."

Quote from http://www.mechanicsupport.com/tube_strength.html

A builder site discussing fuel and brake lines says that "Van's uses aluminum tubing made of 3003-series alloy for all the fuel and brake system plumbing".

While it is likely unfair and over the top to characterize that as "cheapness taken to the extreme", rather than an economical and suitable choice proven by years of satisfactory in-service experience, it may be something that builders wish to consider.
Bill Brooks
RV-6A
Ottawa, ON

The "years of satisfactory service" (on more than 6000 airplane no less) should probably be the emphases here.
Their is nothing wrong with a builder deciding for himself to make a change from the kit (this is experimental aviation after all), but does that mean all other builders are fools if they do not make the change also? Usually not.

Make changes if you wish...but remember the rules that are attached...it will take you longer, it will cost you more, and their is a good chance it will be no better than the orig. design (and a slight chance it will be worse).

Yes

Roee - yes, it was your site that I looked at - an interesting/well written site that I just happened to find by "googling" for 5052 alloy brake and fuel lines.

As I've been building, I am realizing the wisdom of what Scott McDaniels has said - even small deviations from Van's design can add time and effort out of all proportion to what is (or is just perceived to be) gained.
Having said that, switching to 5052 alloy seems to have little downside risk of that.........but any real improvement over 6000 flying? I certainly can't say, though there is no shortage of opinion (see other threads on tubing/bending on this site). This is part of what makes the building fun, but at risk of paralysis - there are enough decisions to make without second guessing the designer, and I am no designer!
Bill Brooks
RV-6A
Ottawa, ON

Bill, I agree with everything you said, with the exception that I think that sometimes there is good reason to second guess the designer (and I am a designer). Especially when you encounter something that you recognize is not quite right. Better to inquire and make an informed decision about whether to leave it or change it, than to just have blind faith in the original designer or the fact that it hasn't bitten someone yet. Anyhow, I'm certainly not about to tell anyone what type of tubing they should use. But I would encourage builders to become informed and use critical thinking in making such decisions.

This site helps me!

I placed the previous post and then I looked at the Webstore::confused:

Somehow When we changed programs it was listing the per foot peice twice. One at the correct price, and one at 6x the correct price.

Now that's the way to scare folks off :eek:

It is fixed now, and lists the per foot piece correctly and the correct price for a 6 foot stick.

Hint, because of length UPS hits us with extra handling, so if you think you might need a little extra, get it, in some cases its cheaper than making two orders close together.

In some cases you may get free shipping.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/freeship.asp

HAVE FUN, I am taking the next few days off and painting my right wing!

Back