What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Montana Trip.....

kklewin

Well Known Member
Flew a great trip last week from Oklahoma City to Bozeman, Montana. I've been living in OKC for 17 years and finally moved back home to Bozeman. Took off at 445am and landed in Bozeman 6:58 later (non-stop/ with 22 gal of gas left!!). The RV has the 8.5 gal tip tanks and a removable 13 gal aux tank in just behind the seats. Flew at about 2200 rpm (O-360-A2A/Cruise Prop), 130 KTS, 6 GPH. Didn't get much wind help. GS varied from 112 to 145 at the very end. Mostly a direct crosswind. Flew most of the way at 10,000. 1.5 of the flight was IFR (all filed/flown IFR). Temps a bit cold at 10K so flew for a bit at 8K to stay away from the light ice. Got direct Billings shortly after takeoff...the benefits of an early start. A great flight with some beautiful views. What a great plane!!! (I know you will ask: No I didn't need a potty break, just sipped my water, but I was prepared if needed). I have an ox tank, but didn't use it....just checked the pulse ox every 1/2 hour or so. If you visit stop in at Bozeman the top FBO is Arlin's Aircraft Service. Nice folks, nice facility. (Full Disclosure: Arlin is a friend and my employer for several years) Bozeman is a great place to visit. Three ski areas, fishing, hunting, hiking, and Yellowstone Park. Glad to be home again.

Here is a link to the flight aware tracker:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N85KC

Pictures:

2011-05-17062041.jpg

Early Morning Sunrise over Oklahoma....

2011-05-17062105.jpg

2011-05-17062234.jpg

2011-05-170625131.jpg

Last edited:
Yellowstone National Park A Must See

I concur that this is a fantastic trip destination all year long. A short flight away from Bozeman is the town of West Yellowstone. West Yellowstone is the entranceway into theYellowstone National Park. It has its own airport which is open during the warmer months. In the winter you can fly ino Bozeman and rent a car to drive the 90 miles to West Yellowstone. Some of THE BEST snowmobiling in the world! Better plan it soon as the environmentalists are trying hard to get The Park closed to snowmobiles completely.

Fantastic. I've made the trip from ADS-BZN many times, and if you can stay focused after crossing the plains, overflying Montana is always a treat. Seeing the "M" on the west end of the pass always brings a smile to my face.

bozeman_pass_web.jpg

TODR

Great "M" picture Doug....

The Big Sky Air Race Event on 9 July in Three Forks looks like fun....might have to try it out....!!!

Kurt

Last edited:
that is a great "M" pic.

PS I need all you Montana(or nearby) RV'rs or other pilots to show up on July 9th at Three Forks. Either racing or helping pull this race off. Contact me if you want to help.

Some beautiful flying out there. My wife & I flew from Brooksville, FL (BKV) to West Yellowstone(WYS) last August. We can't wait to go back.
We'd like to stop in on Glacier NP next time.

Back