What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop choices (9A 160hp)

ScottK

I hate feeling like I know too little to even have an opinion. I know that CS is not in the cards, but among FP/GA, what is the short version of why one prop material is better than the other? Right now I'm looking at Vans site where the (fixed-pitch) metal and (ground-adjustable) composite are nearly the same price, and I can't think of any reason to choose the metal one in that case. Composite is lighter, doesn't have fatigue or cracking, doesn't have a repair-limited life...not seeing a downside.

Wood is not out of the question either, the lower cost is appealing, but wood needs extra care and attention. I'll probably be parked outdoors a lot and I feel like my checklist will be long enough already.

The decision is a ways off, I'm still working through my tail kit. But I'm finalizing my finish kit order, one of the minor choices is whether to omit the spinner, which depends on what prop I plan to use. So it's on my mind.

same spot

My buddy runs a 2 blade Catto and seems happy with it. .

I am in the same spot, 160 hp RV9A.
I think I am going with a Catto. But I plan to have a conversation with them before ordering so we can get the pitch right where I want it.
Since I am using the new nose gear and cowl, I was thinking about a three blade; it seems the newer cowl has got features that makes it easier to get the bottom half off with a three bladed prop. And I heard the three bladed gets up and climbs better, at the cost of a few knots in cruise, when at the same cruise RPM.

Last edited:
Ground adjustable

Is what I did , moving from fp wood. You can get what you like , climb, cruise, roll-takeoff punch. Once you get it dialed in to your liking, can change in less than a hour should you move to higher DA or some other change that would require a different prop. This is just my opinion, I have a Whirlwind and love it. Smooth, quite and looks good too.

I nicked the trailing edge of my composite MT propeller re-installing the cowl the other day...wouldn’t have happened to a metal prop. On the positive side, I was able to repair it with some epoxy, peel ply, and some sandpaper.

Might want to take a look at the projected CG with the metal vs wood/ composit prop. I have a RV9 ( not A) with 160 hp and composit Prince P tip. The CG was much more comfortable after I added 15 lb to cruch plate. But did that after 10 years of flying!! So not a game killer.

I nicked the trailing edge of my composite MT propeller re-installing the cowl the other day...wouldn’t have happened to a metal prop. On the positive side, I was able to repair it with some epoxy, peel ply, and some sandpaper.

This is the primary reason I made a custom removable snorkel on my RV-9A. It makes cowling installation and removal a snap. The 3 blade MT’s are too purrdy and expensive to risk nicking them!

I own a 9A / 160. I went with the fixed pitch Sensenich when I finished the plane in '08 because I got a very good deal on it, (new-in-box-never-installed). I've been happy with it over the last 925 hours except for the 2600 rpm restriction.
However, I would strongly consider the ground adjustable Sensenich available today because of the similarity of price, no use limitations, wt&bal is a non issue for a solo pilot even loaded with camping gear, and it looks badass.

I’m with Steve...

I went Sensenich fixed and it was a great match for my airplane and 160hp Lycoming. The way I built my airplane made me a little nose heavy though, everything forward of the panel, and an -A too. After doing the math on W&B I went to the Sensenich GA and it’s great too. Now, up to gross and within baggage limits I can use the full range CG with no issue. I also noticed a little bit lighter handling (favorable) with the Sen GA vs the metal. I thought maybe gyroscopic effects of the lower rotating mass or the mass moment might have something to do with it, but I didn’t research further. Better to just fly it. It does idle a little rougher at lower rpms, most noticeable below 700rpm on the ground. Not a big deal.

I purchased a wood prop with the intent of upgrading later. Been flying for 2 years and I've been very happy with my prop. No plans of upgrading anytime soon. If its outside, just keep it covered and youll be fine. Dont need a fancy prop cover, my wife sewed one with some outdoor fabric for a local fabric shop. Probably cost less than $10.

I went with the Sensenich metal prop Vans suggested for the 160 HP. Got a good deal from a previous buyer selling never installed (he changed his mind and went constant speed). I’m right in the middle of the flight W&B.

Selection of prop is a trade off. I like the durability of the metal but wonder how much smoother, if any, a fiberglass/wood prop would be. And of course metal is heavier. I don’t feel the 2600 rpm is much of a factor but I don’t normally fly at the high rpm limits.

I figure if I don’t abuse the prop there will be nominal maintenance costs going forward.

Back