What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview - erroneous Baro inputs

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Purpose of this post is to point out a serious problem with Skyview/autopilot system when erroneous ADS-B input is entered into Skyview. Just posted this on the Dynon support forum but wanted to alert VAF users.

Earlier today I was flying near Carroll County airport MD (KDMW) and pressed the Baro button to have the nearest Baro setting entered into Skyview via the Dynon 470 unit. For whatever reason, as you can see the local Baro setting was clearly incorrect, but Skyview accepted the odd value and immediately changed/displayed my altitude very incorrectly as a result. As I was flying via autopilot, the aircraft immediately began to dive which was obviously not my intent. Screen shots are from a second attempt to load correct local Baro settings but Skyview kept defaulting to the incorrect inputs from KDMW.

While I don't understand why the electronically communicated ADS-B Baro setting from this airport was so incorrect, it would be ideal if Skyview had limits or filters to avoid such incorrect values from automatically being accepted into the system.

screenshot-N913BC-Altimetersetting.jpg

screenshot-N913BC-impactonSkyview.jpg

Last edited:
Love the density altitude...you should post this on the Dynon website if you haven't already...this is a serious bug in their system

3.01" instead of 30.1"

What's the big deal. It's only off by one decimal point!

This does appear to be a case of garbage in. The METAR did actually report 3.01" as you can see in the history from yesterday. It did it on and off through the day, and now today it's failing to report at times:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDMW/2017/4/9/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Westminster&req_state=MD&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=21158&reqdb.magic=55&reqdb.wmo=99999

We've got a case in our system to improve the behavior of this function when fed illogical pressures. Thanks for the detailed report!

P.S. Look at that density altitude on the METAR!

Thanks for follow up Dynon. Clearly a freak thing. By the looks of it, I was at just the right place at the right time when I pressed the Baro button. Will certainly pay a little more attention to the aircraft every time I do that going forward. Hopefully in a future s/w update a safety filter could be added.

Back