What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a harness recommendation

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I will be installing a Surefly e mag in my RV10 with an IO540. I currently have Bendix mags so I need to replace the one harness to accommodate the Surefly. Any good sources where I can order a single harness and is there a specific harness I need to order (Other than just a generic 6 cylinder Slick harness), i.e. a specific Parts number I need? Thanks….

So here is a question auto plugs vs aviation. I’m running Tempest fine wire plugs. Since I need a new harness I have also looked at getting an auto plug harness for the Surefly by G3i. I’m running an io540 in my RV 10. I have been told that the auto plugs are not durable compared to aviation plugs, which are beefy. Also an auto plug set up does not do well at higher altitudes i.e. 10k-14k. I’m on the fence if I should stay with the fine wires or switch to auto. And thanks for the info on Maggie harness.

So here is a question auto plugs vs aviation. I’m running Tempest fine wire plugs. Since I need a new harness I have also looked at getting an auto plug harness for the Surefly by G3i. I’m running an io540 in my RV 10. I have been told that the auto plugs are not durable compared to aviation plugs, which are beefy. Also an auto plug set up does not do well at higher altitudes i.e. 10k-14k. I’m on the fence if I should stay with the fine wires or switch to auto. And thanks for the info on Maggie harness.

Suggest Denso 5003 M22 plugs and G3i harness. Make sure you use red loctite on the end threads and not get any loctite on the shoulder for good contact. I just ordered a replacement fine wire plug for a customer who dropped one which cracked the resistor. $160 for one fine wire plug with tax and shipping. Crazy!

Got an e mail in to G3i, there is no phone number. Is there anywhere else to go for a slick cap with an auto plug set up ?

Anybody have any luck contacting G3i?
I paid for the harness instructions unlock over the holidays but radio silence.
Maybe they still away. Not responding to any emails. No phone number.

SNIP
I have been told that the auto plugs are not durable compared to aviation plugs, which are beefy. Also an auto plug set up does not do well at higher altitudes i.e. 10k-14k. I’m on the fence if I should stay with the fine wires or switch to auto. And thanks for the info on Maggie harness.

Zero data to support this statement. Sounds like someone blowing a lot of smoke. I’ve flown dual pMags for 20+ years running NGK BR8ES plugs up to 18K’. Flawless.

One of the benefits of EI is the use of auto plugs. Make the jump and never again have to put up with the grossly overpriced aviation plugs (and cleaning them).

Carl

Anybody have any luck contacting G3i?
I paid for the harness instructions unlock over the holidays but radio silence.
Maybe they still away. Not responding to any emails. No phone number.

Within the past 12 months I have talked with Tom at G3i igntion. I ordered the Skick kit and plan to install it on my Surefly Ignition modules.

I have his phone number as (303) 78one-nine449.

Suggest Denso 5003 M22 plugs and G3i harness. Make sure you use red loctite on the end threads and not get any loctite on the shoulder for good contact. I just ordered a replacement fine wire plug for a customer who dropped one which cracked the resistor. $160 for one fine wire plug with tax and shipping. Crazy!

Are these M22's resistor plugs? I hated the A386's due to the rusting and have since been successfully using LR4U's. Wondering if these are a better option. Any idea where the heat range is on these?

Larry

Zero data to support this statement. Sounds like someone blowing a lot of smoke. I’ve flown dual pMags for 20+ years running NGK BR8ES plugs up to 18K’. Flawless.

One of the benefits of EI is the use of auto plugs. Make the jump and never again have to put up with the grossly overpriced aviation plugs (and cleaning them).

Carl

+1

auto plugs absolutely no less robust or reliable as an aviation plug. One large upside is that their design is far less likely to foul from lead balls, due to the tapered insulator.

I added a Surefly about two years ago on my -10 and so far very pleased. I converted to auto plugs from fine wire with zero issues, If you order the Harness kit from G3i, add a slick cap to your order and see if he will do the taping required on the cap. I think I was charged 10 dollars to do that but so worth it. I’m running the platinum plugs with the solid tip. I installed all the auto plugs on the top and have the aviation plugs on the bottom just to keep things uniform.

Back