What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

696 Mount Below Panel?

Clarkie

Well Known Member
Thinking out loud here and I know some of you guys probably have the answer... Airplane has a new panel. Two AFS 4500s, radio stack and a D10. I know it's overkill, but my partner and I really love the capabilities within the 696 and would like to continue to use it. Has anyone ever come up with a way to mount the 696 below the panel (think below throttle, prop, mixture) and forward of the fuel valve on an angle between both seats?

Its not over kill

I've got a GNS 480 driving a dual screen GRT system ... and I have a 696 mounted beside my panel.

I've got a slider, so I made a small bracket that bolts on the side rail using the 2 bolts that attach the roll bar. I attached a RAM mount ball to the bracket.

The 696 is a 2nd input to the GRT's and it's a great source of additional information and in-flight planning. While enroute, I let the 480 drive the GRT screen and it is my active flight plan. I use the 696 to do "what if" type planning (i.e. If I go direct to my destination from my current position, will I be outside some air space I'm trying to avoid? If I change destination how long will it take to get there?)

I also use the 696 for approach plates and to check info about my destination airport or other nearby airports.

The only thing that would make me get rid of the 696 is a 796!

This is the way I did ours

Here is how I did my 695 in our RV-6A

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

Bob Axsom

Tom,

Here are a few pics of how I mounted the 696.

The RAM holes on the RAM mount aligned perfectly with the mounting holes on the 696:
DSCN2872.JPG

I installed some 063 x 3/4 x 3/4 angle between my throttle mounting plate and the subpanel. On this I attached the other side of the RAM mount. I think I used either a 6" or 7" RAM arm. The mount is almost perfect. I think it would be a little better if the arm was a little shorter, causing the 696 to be mounted a little further back under the panel.
DSCN2876.JPG

Back