Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Panel suggestions

Hi all

So, over the weekend, several RV4's have appeared in my inbox. Ranging from the fixer upper (priced accordingly and built well but need to look harder at the build) to a very nice glass panel plane (priced a little over my budget but it is pretty) and then a couple more higher in features/quality or just price as well.

One I have been watching for a while and the seller just got into what I consider a more reasonable price (as I am learning about the market and the RV4).

This is the panel, I should say, the interior as I am up for a makeover. I want to go to glass of some sort but not sure I am confident enough in it to not have some redundancy so wondering about using some of the existing gauges. The rest of this plane looks quite nice but I am not a fan of the interior so I think an entire makeover might be in the works. Not overly costly, just time wise. And it has rear rudder pedals so would be a good transitioning plane for me. My CPL instructor was a aerobatics instructor and a little guy so we could have fun in this one (or any of the ones but not all have rear pedals.) I am not large either so the little 4 should be good for us.

Looking at this, what would you suggest? I know there are Garmin guys, Dynon guys, MGL guys, etc so interesting to see what you might suggest, especially in regards to reusing some of the old stuff. So, have fun suggesting how I spend my money, but don't break me! Kidding. But if you have fun with the "here is what I would do game", then please, throw ideas around.

I have contacted Vans for a set of preview plans to better inspect whatever 4 I end up with. That will give me a better idea of the plane construction all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel suggestions.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	29494  
PA28-161
Time for an RV!
Old 08-15-2022, 07:14 AM

What is the plane to do (day VFR, full IFR or what)?.

Carl
Old 08-15-2022, 10:19 AM

Default Panel

I was wondering if I could set it up for VFR(day/night) now with the ability to upgrade it to IFR in the future.
PA28-161
Time for an RV!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 AM

Default Panel

Exactly what I did. Reused some of what I had that was working perfectly then bought other items used. VERY functional panel that has ADS-B in and out, TIS-B weather, full autopilot, EMS and back up round dials.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7197BBB0-6D42-4E90-B8F2-E72DF65F296E.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	29504  Click image for larger version

Name:	5D3434DC-E49C-4A07-8C9C-8C911DE8CA7D.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	29505  
Old 08-15-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
I was wondering if I could set it up for VFR(day/night) now with the ability to upgrade it to IFR in the future.
Sure - classic approach.

I suggest you start off with the final IFR panel you want. From that use a subset for the first VFR panel. Updating a panel once you shift to glass is mostly just getting a new panel blank from Vanís, some time cutting holes then paint.

I suggest for the first install:
- An EFIS with integrated GPS receiver that meets ADS-B out requirements. For the RV-4 this should be a smaller display.
- XPDR (that includes ADS-B out). XPDRs that mount remotely frees up your limited panel space.
- ADS-B receiver that integrates with the EFIS moving map - here again remote mount.
- A comm unit that plays well with your EFIS system.
- A dual axis autopilot install that is for your selected EFIS.
- The EMS system that is for your selected EFIS.
- Keep the analog airspeed instrument.

Upgrading to full IFR panel:
- Add a TSO certified GPS navigator that includes a Comm. This gives you two radios.
- Add a second EFIS display.

Audio panel need depends on if your selected comm radio has one built in.

Carl
Old 08-16-2022, 04:46 AM

I’m just finishing the install of an IFR package in the rocket.
I second Carl’s “integrates” and “plays well” wisdom: I recommend sticking with a complete system from one manufacturer.
FWIW, I chose Garmin from Steinair.
-one big PFD
-G5
-GPS Navigator/transponder
-autopilot controller
-2 remote radios
-remote audio panel
-Integrated backup battery
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Sure - classic approach.

I suggest you start off with the final IFR panel you want. From that use a subset for the first VFR panel. Updating a panel once you shift to glass is mostly just getting a new panel blank from Vanís, some time cutting holes then paint.

I suggest for the first install:
- An EFIS with integrated GPS receiver that meets ADS-B out requirements. For the RV-4 this should be a smaller display.
- XPDR (that includes ADS-B out). XPDRs that mount remotely frees up your limited panel space.
- ADS-B receiver that integrates with the EFIS moving map - here again remote mount.
- A comm unit that plays well with your EFIS system.
- A dual axis autopilot install that is for your selected EFIS.
- The EMS system that is for your selected EFIS.
- Keep the analog airspeed instrument.

Upgrading to full IFR panel:
- Add a TSO certified GPS navigator that includes a Comm. This gives you two radios.
- Add a second EFIS display.

Audio panel need depends on if your selected comm radio has one built in.

Carl
VERY NICE description of how to approach the problem.

As a matter of space and preference, the EFIS units available can have a "remote" audio panel and comms if space becomes a problem. And I think they all have a "failsafe" mode where the radio works (on the last frequency) if the audio panel fails. Personally, I like having at least one radio that I can touch and dial. :-)
RV6, RV8 Flying
RV6A Hoping to get back to finishing soon
APRS
Old 08-16-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post
VERY NICE description of how to approach the problem.

As a matter of space and preference, the EFIS units available can have a "remote" audio panel and comms if space becomes a problem. And I think they all have a "failsafe" mode where the radio works (on the last frequency) if the audio panel fails. Personally, I like having at least one radio that I can touch and dial. :-)
Yep - fully agree.

On the last three IFR panels I used the GTN-650 as the TSO GPS navigator, and VOR/LOC/GS receiver. On the new build Iíll use the GNC-355 as the GPS navigator, and the TRIG TX-56 as the NAV/LOC/GS receiver and Comm #2. This is a significantly cheaper approach for the same capability as the GTN-650 plus the Dynon SkyView radio for Comm #2, and Iím hopeful the GNC-355 is not as clunky to use as the GTN-650.

TRIG makes the Dynon remote radio and Dynon remote XPDR for the SkyView EFIS system. I have been impressed with the quality and I expect nothing less than that for this new TX-56 NAV/Comm.

But - this leaves open the option to not have VOR/LOC/GS capability at all. I suspect for most builders this is perfectly viable. Here, as always, builder preference to support the ship mission is the deciding factor.

Carl
Old 08-16-2022, 08:32 PM

I went from this (first pic), to this (second pic), on my RV4 without too much trouble:

Name:	39104B7A-4B4F-457A-995F-CEBB46B47D65.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	29616

Name:	02DFD9E6-9A68-4E4F-AB94-E5CB8A95227C.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	29617

Being able to remove the boot cowl, giving stand on the floor access to the behind panel area, makes it easy. I used my original panel as a template to cut my new panel, and also used the angle, with installed platenuts, drilled out of the original panel to attach the new panel to the boot cowl skin since it was already made to fit. The right screen in the upgraded panel is a GRT mini, which is a small stand alone EFIS with its own AHRS and compass, communicates with the primary EFIS, and is powered by a separate Aux bus. It is a VFR panel, but as you can see, there is plenty of room on the left side of the panel to install an IFR navigator - all you need to make it IFR capable.

Your RV4 panel is probably the most easily customizable panel of all the RV’s. Use your imagination and make it what you want.

EDIT - Picture orientation is weird. I know how to prevent that now when I take a picture, but don’t know how to fix the already taken pictures. Turn your screen around if you want to see it straight.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Phase 1
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022

Last edited by Scott Hersha : 08-16-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
EDIT - Picture orientation is weird. I know how to prevent that now when I take a picture, but donít know how to fix the already taken pictures. Turn your screen around if you want to see it straight.
Fixed.

Name:	4 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	29622

Name:	4 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	29623