Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2022, 09:09 PM

Default Same here

Mine has done the same thing, and Iím positive that area is built per plan.

I am certain itís because thatís where I put my weight to lift myself out (180 lbs) I have since started sliding up the seat slightly so I can grab the lower part of the roll bar to extricate myself.
Building RV-7A
Flying RV-4 since 1988
Flying Rans S-7S Courier since 2010
Old 08-09-2022, 01:11 AM

I also had the same issue years ago. I stop drilled the cracks and installed a couple of .063 doublers to spread out the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B25C3B3-F800-4E0E-A009-5CE549640C82.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	29250  Click image for larger version

Name:	4611B118-ED91-4F53-9A71-CA9C1D30AED2.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	29251  
Old 08-09-2022, 10:22 AM

Default Not quite right.....

OK: I guess that lifting yourself from the cockpit by the side rails is a common method of entering and exiting the airplane. And it looks like cracks have occurred there before. The last post looks like a decent fix to that problem. Personally, I use the rollover structure to slip in and out of the cockpit.

However, looking at the second image I am concerned with several things:
1) There is no underlying angle seen under the cockpit rail as seen on the other side and as plans call for. Thus, the bolt holding the rollover structure is not within edge-distance requirements of proper construction.
2) There is a hole peeking out from under the foot of the roll over structure indicating that a hole was previously drilled in the underlying angle (that I assume is there) and the hole for the current bolt is very close to that hole and, if it goes through the underlying angle, once again, does not comply with edge-distance requirements of construction.

IMHO. The mechanic in me sees things that don't look quite right, like this. If you are happy with how this is, I guess I should be as well. I apologize for being so picky.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img999a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	29271  
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber!
Old 08-09-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
OK: I guess that lifting yourself from the cockpit by the side rails is a common method of entering and exiting the airplane. And it looks like cracks have occurred there before. The last post looks like a decent fix to that problem. Personally, I use the rollover structure to slip in and out of the cockpit.

However, looking at the second image I am concerned with several things:
1) There is no underlying angle seen under the cockpit rail as seen on the other side and as plans call for. Thus, the bolt holding the rollover structure is not within edge-distance requirements of proper construction.
2) There is a hole peeking out from under the foot of the roll over structure indicating that a hole was previously drilled in the underlying angle (that I assume is there) and the hole for the current bolt is very close to that hole and, if it goes through the underlying angle, once again, does not comply with edge-distance requirements of construction.

IMHO. The mechanic in me sees things that don't look quite right, like this. If you are happy with how this is, I guess I should be as well. I apologize for being so picky.......

I agree it looks like the angle is missing. Can you post a few other pictures from the side and underneath looking up?
Old 08-09-2022, 07:54 PM

Default Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRV8 View Post
Mine has done the same thing, and Iím positive that area is built per plan.

I am certain itís because thatís where I put my weight to lift myself out (180 lbs) I have since started sliding up the seat slightly so I can grab the lower part of the roll bar to extricate myself.
I can remember when I was 180 pounds, everything was easier

I like RVspikes fix. it's similar to what I was thinking. I'm glad I'm not the first that this has happened to.

Yes, all of the 1" angle is there as well as all of the supports and rivets.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Tim