Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2022, 12:42 PM

Default maybe it's the pilot

Ron could get competitive at the Intermediate level in his RV-8. I could not.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama
Old 07-30-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyEyeBall View Post
Ron could get competitive at the Intermediate level in his RV-8. I could not.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama
Anyone that can consistently nail an inverted spin like you do should be able to master any Intermediate maneuver in the book. You have won enough Sportsman first place trophies. Move up Bill!

If there is anyone alive that can tell you what a RV-4 can do it's Bill McLean. He's too modest to toot his own horn so I'll fill you in. Sit down, Bill. And shut up.

I knew Bill was good way back in 2015 when we were both competing at the Sportsman level. In 2016 I wanted to go the the National Aerobatic Championships and urged Bill to come along as I felt he was more than capable of putting on a good show. Bill never flew from a towered airport and has trouble hearing so the thought of dealing with ATC during the trip from Alabama to Texas and then flying all week at a towered field made him reluctant to commit. I told him that I would be with him the whole way and would hold his hand if I had to. The prospect of being the two oldest competitors at Nationals was enticing and I had special T-shirts made for the event. (OFFA: Old Farts Flying Aerobatics) Did he do well? Check out the pictures. That's IAC President Mike Heuer handing him some bling and that's US National Unlimited Champion Debby Rihn-Harvey sharing the podium with Bill.

There is not a finer gentleman and accomplished RV aerobatic pilot than Bill McLean at any age and by my count he must be an octogenarian by now. I am honored to call him my friend.

My Formation Video
CAF B-25 pilot - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 07-30-2022, 11:23 PM

Default Couldn't agree more about Bill

I agree completely! On top of all that has been said Bill takes the time to freely share anything he has learned ! He has offered invaluable REAL WORLD advise and I have been the great benefactor of it ! I recommend highly conversing ( electronically ) with him and you can absolutely rely on anything he says. My thanks to him always. Cheers. Stew
Old 08-12-2022, 08:32 AM

I flew with Bruce in his RV-8. Super knowledgeable and competent instructor. Would 100% refer him to anyone looking to get some RV-8 time.

@Ronschreck - My thoughts exactly. I did a fair amount of spin training when I was flying the T-6 but that's been about a decade. I'll probably get a rehack on that just to get the feel down again.

@WillyEyeBall - I think this is what is most appealing to me. It seems a little more performance focused and I feel like knowing the entire envelope of the aircraft will not only be fun and challenging but will make me a better RV pilot. I might have to link up with you when you have the time to chat, Bill. If that would be okay with you. I'd love to have some interaction with someone that has real experience with the RV-4.

Thank you for all the insight guys. If you ever end up in the midwest let me know!
Kansas City
1K1/KHIG

Last edited by Crewser1989 : 08-12-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyEyeBall View Post
DO NOT recommend doing aerobatics in an RV4 with two people.
Hmmm….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-mxAisu6OQ
Old 08-17-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem46 View Post
The recommendation to not do RV-4 acro with pax is a good one. Those who are plenty experienced with aerobatics, RVs, how differently the RV-4 handles at aft CG, and all the legal and practical issues related to aerobatic flight don't really need advice from the internet on this subject. They can manage. This recommendation is for people who may have not yet gained sufficient experience to have mastered all the issues. It's meant to keep people from getting killed. A video of an RV-4 doing acro 2-up doesn't change this, nor does it necessarily mean the video shows a dangerous act.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem46 View Post
I suppose you can always find someone to counter any sage advice. I once told my young son to never pee into the wind and he proudly did so without getting his shoes wet.

I will concede that the video shows two pilots doing aerobatics quite safely in an RV-4 but I do notice that the rear seat passenger is not a large man and he is not wearing a parachute. The maneuvers demonstrated are rather benign as well. To be legal in the USA both pilots would require parachutes and sufficient fuel for VFR reserves would be required. Instruction in spins, hammerhead turns and departure recovery would certainly tease the edges of the flight envelope at high gross weight and extreme aft CG, leaving little room for error. Can it be done? Sure, but then there's that unexpected gust of wind and you end up with pee on your shoes!
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 pilot - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor