What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Fuel Pump Died Today

pstraub

Well Known Member
Hi all, I was getting ready to go flying this morning, turned on the master and was greeted with silence (no clack, clack, clack from the fuel pump). The fuse was fine. I pulled the tunnel cover on the baggage floor and checked the connectors, they looked good. I measured 12V (11.68 VDC) between the red connector and ground, so I guess the pump just died! This was my original pump, ES 40105. I ordered the new ES 40135 from Van's today.

I built the plane about 5 years ago, approx 230 hours total time on the plane/pump. I guess my question is....has anyone found any good method to change that pump? Obviously the flaperon pushrods are in the way, and there is very little room to work. I am assuming there is no way around draining all the fuel from the tank? Anyway, if someone has any tips/tricks, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Try tapping on the pump with screwdriver handle. Give it a good thump and I bet it will start working. Facet pump has an oscillating piston with check valves that sometimes gets stuck...

month ago

Mine died a month ago. Cheap on Spruce...
Easy to replace. I reserve the whack and try method for non-aviation stuff.
Like the Subaru...

12 Fuel Pump

My fuel pump quit at 100 hours. I would give the pump a whack just to expedite pumping off the fuel. (I went through the whack a mole twice and it failed completely a few flights later). Attaching a rubber hose in place of the gascolator drain makes quick work of it. The pump isn’t that difficult to replace if you disconnect the push rods. The new model runs a little higher pressure and has been clattering along for 150 hours trouble free.

Have you tried putting your battery on a charger at 14.4V and then turning the master switch on to see if then the fuel pump runs? Might be worth a try.

What's the overall condition of your PC-680 battery? Fully charged? Like 12.85V at the battery terminals with a DMM after sitting a week? Do you ever run a de sulphate
full charge cycle at 16.5V on the battery after running it down?

Low battery voltage (partial state of charge battery or a cell close to dead) and then trying to start the plane can sometimes blow the fuse to the fuel pump, which tries to draw too much current at the reduced voltage.

Last edited:
Well....you guys were right! I gave the pump a little more aggressive 'tap' or two this morning and it started running again. Battery voltage looked good, I put the battery on the Odyssey battery charger overnight, then tried again this morning but still no joy. That's when I tried the whack or two on the pump housing and it started right up. I am glad I have the new pump coming from Van's, but now I can at least plan the replacement. If it's going to need the external persuasion every time, I will change the pump sooner than later. Thanks again for the suggestions from all, they are very much appreciated! Paul

Odyssey battery charger works fine with airplane master switch and avionics turned on. The main battery itself is a filter which cancels any ripple from the battery charger.

Do it all the time....

$60 Regulated power supply, not battery chargers, if master switch is on.

Yep, that's what I run, with an inline RC hobbyist Voltage and amperage meter read out, and a 10 screw pot in line to adjust the voltage, since I use it on many different types of batteries.

30 amps, works great for ham radios, too.

I put a hole in the baggage floor directly above the pump so that I can give it a tap without removing anything. Hasn’t been needed yet, thankfully.

Some old British cars had the same or similar pump and I understand a hammer was standard equipment.

Jack

Some old British cars had the same or similar pump and I understand a hammer was standard equipment.

For a long time, British cars used Lucas Electrics, also known as the Prince of Darkness. I owned two each – Triumph and MG and it was a real education…

I put a hole in the baggage floor directly above the pump so that I can give it a tap without removing anything.

Jack

Not a bad idea! It looks like you could also access it from the rear inspection panel on the belly of the plane. Looks like enough room to give it a tap from the side.

Back