What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Model airplane for the hanger

toolmanmike

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m looking for an inexpensive model airplane to paint up with my proposed paint scheme. Id like to hang it in the shop so I can dream about finishing my 7. Looking for anything even close to the rv7 profile. Any ideas? I tried searching Amazon. Only thing I could find was well over $300. That’s a new tool!

Search

Search the RC airplane sites, there are several rc models of vans aircraft; I have seen them recently for $150…

Not inexpensive, but officially licensed by Vans:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?q=rv-7&search-button=&lang=default

The officially licensed E-flite® RV-7 1.1m is the Smartest, most convenient, and easiest to fly scale model of the general aviation icon yet — with capabilities ranging from slow, scale-like flight to high-energy aerobatics and everything in-between!

Officially licensed replica of one of the most popular and iconic “homebuilt” general aviation aircraft available in the world today
Specifically designed and equipped to offer scale-like and sport flying, high speed and high energy aerobatic capabilities
Taildragger configuration landing gear for operation from a variety of surfaces including grass
Factory-installed LED navigation and landing lights
Easy to install/remove one-piece wing

As a long time R/C pilot, and now an RV-7 builder, I had to have this. It's incredibly scale for the money. It flies a little faster than I'd like—when first assembling it I was a little surprised by the weight for the size of airplane. For the price, I don't think you'll beat this, even with the electronics included.

My favorite small detail: you can choose having the steps or no steps; optional plastic parts for each variation.

I bought the Horizon Hobby E-Flite RV7 and painted it up to match my 6. Well- close enough.. They fly great!

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4845.jpg
    IMG_4845.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Looks good!!

Although I'm a Futaba flier, I may have to break down and buy the RV7 kit from Horizon:D

What I would like to have is a 1/4 scale or more RV7 model. That would be fun to fly.

If you really want inexpensive, you can use the three view drawing as a pattern to make one out of wood. The fuselage is two 2x4s glued together and 1x3s for wings and tail.

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Just like a real plane

What skill level is required to get more than one flight from the RV7 model?:)

Hi Don,

It's just like a real plane, you wouldn't get in a real plane without instruction. I've been instructing in RC for 50 years and the easiest and toughest people to teach are full scale pilots. They either pick it up right away or they think they can. The worst I ever taught was a 747 Captain who showed up at the model field with a new plane. We hadn't seen him before so we asked if he needed help. He quickly announced that the was 747 pilot and could handle flying a model. The take off was fine but then when he turned back toward himself he got disoriented and spun it into a cotton field. Fortunately it wasn't hurt bad. He humbly accepted help and we got him flying solo after a couple dozen flights.

So, don't try this at home!!!

Find someone with a "buddy box"

I love the RV models, and probably will build one of the -4's one of these days to match my full scale. I used to do a lot of R/C back in the 80s and 90s but got away from it to focus on full scale. I did a lot of instructing R/C with a a beat up trainer I had and my buddy box set up and as echoed, the "real pilots" usually failed miserably at R/C. All my old birds were gas nitro and messy, and with todays easy peasy electric pre built foamies you can get in the game for $100.00. I have the little yellow Champ by Hobbyzone that I have taught a few to fly, and its easy to fix..as I tell some , its gorilla glue held together by foam pieces. Master one of these, and you can comfortably get into a bigger better bird.

My late father-in-law was into flying model airplanes before RC, he did U-control, free flight etc. He was an excellent modeler, he scratch build all of his models, before everything went to ARF’s that is.
He scratch build this model of my RV and put an electric motor in it. I don’t think he ever flew it. It now hangs inverted in my man cave next to a scratch build Gee Bee.

Attachments

• F4F220EE-50A8-4E64-A635-1C2DEDF3D0A5.jpg
    F4F220EE-50A8-4E64-A635-1C2DEDF3D0A5.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 151
Hi Don,

It's just like a real plane, you wouldn't get in a real plane without instruction. I've been instructing in RC for 50 years and the easiest and toughest people to teach are full scale pilots. They either pick it up right away or they think they can. The worst I ever taught was a 747 Captain who showed up at the model field with a new plane. We hadn't seen him before so we asked if he needed help. He quickly announced that the was 747 pilot and could handle flying a model. The take off was fine but then when he turned back toward himself he got disoriented and spun it into a cotton field. Fortunately it wasn't hurt bad. He humbly accepted help and we got him flying solo after a couple dozen flights.

So, don't try this at home!!!

I think we may have similar AMA #s, when I got back into the hobby I was surprised to be able to reclaim my original number, AMA #127***.
:cheers:

Buy the RealFlight sim, then go on the forum and look for the appropriate RV. A casual glance did not show a -7 but did show a -6 and -8.

https://www.realflight.com/index.php

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php

I even had a bit of luck getting a member to repaint a stock RF plane for a project we did a long time ago.

AMA

I think we may have similar AMA #s, when I got back into the hobby I was surprised to be able to reclaim my original number, AMA #127***.
:cheers:

My AMA number is 12192. I had a real 4 digit number 9xxx. I had a year lapse and it was lost in a fire. Wish I had it back.

Does this count? Take off speed is really high due to excessive wing loading....granddaughter hasn't yet been able to achieve needed velocity....but ground maneuvers are impressive.

N399SB-pedalplane.jpg

Does this count? Take off speed is really high due to excessive wing loading....granddaughter hasn't yet been able to achieve needed velocity....but ground maneuvers are impressive.

View attachment 27087

Sure does! I have one of those on my project list. Our first grandchild was born the end of December so I still have a little time.

Back