What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for an instructor to give me dual in my 8 in the South Jersey area

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm flying out to St Louis tomorrow to complete the deal on my 8. Insurance wants me to get 10 hours of RV8 dual before they will cover me. It must be in an 8, 6 time won't count.

Anyone in the NJ area giving dual in these things? In the event I just bite the bullet and self insure for the first 10 hours, is there anyone around giving transition training in any RV? I'm brushing up on my TW in a Citabria now.

There are very few RV-8’s set up with full dual controls that are used by CFI’s for transition training - the only one I know of personally is Bruce Bohanon’s down in Texas. If you really want to learn a lot, Bruce is worth the trip! I simply haven’t heard of anyone else set up for this with -8’s…

Last edited by a moderator:
No

As Paul pointed out, it’s not a matter of owning an -8…it’s a matter of having a rear set of brakes/rudder pedals..hardly any have that, except Bruce Bohannon.

Regards,

It's very interesting to learn that hardly any -8s have rear pedals. I know of one here in Massachusetts that has the pedals and it is Within a few months of getting its airworthiness certificate. I'll have to ask the builder if he knows how rare a bird he has.

It's very interesting to learn that hardly any -8s have rear pedals. I know of one here in Massachusetts that has the pedals and it is Within a few months of getting its airworthiness certificate. I'll have to ask the builder if he knows how rare a bird he has.

Lots of -8s have rear rudder pedals, it just that the ruder pedal kit is kind of marginal for takeoffs and landings. Also not having brakes in the rear to “save” the student if they get squirrely is another reason to not perform dual in the rear.

Honestly, I would not want to sit rear seat with someone training in the front if I didn't have brakes!

I'm currently flying a Citabria out of Wings in Blue Bell, PA to build more TW time with an instructor. I'm going to start flying that from the rear seat for awhile, then head down to Houston to do some time with Bruce B, then complete my 10 hours in my own aircraft with a CFI friend.

I'm in no rush, as I'm going through the new to me aircraft tip to tail, and sending the prop out for overhaul.

Thanks guys!

As Paul pointed out, it’s not a matter of owning an -8…it’s a matter of having a rear set of brakes/rudder pedals..hardly any have that, except Bruce Bohannon.

Regards,

And, if you are paying for the airplane (or the cfi furnishes it), the owner needs a waiver (‘LODA’) from the ‘not for hire’ rule (free, and relatively easy to get).
And, if you are concerned about financial issues should there be any incidents, insurance. Not at all free, harder to get.

Back