What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-mag rubber hose

pa38112

Well Known Member
I am thinking the rubber vacuum hose that comes with P-mags should be replaced every three years. Does anyone have a source for this hose, or an alternative?

Just a field report - the original ones in our RV-3 (flying ten years) look and feel new….

Paul

Just a field report - the original ones in our RV-3 (flying ten years) look and feel new….

Paul

Paul, thanks for the report - I'll go a few more years before worrying about it.
I assume in 10 years you have had your P-mags upgraded at least once, but any longevity/preventative maintenance issues? I have had mine three years. I check the input shaft for play each year. - Anything else???

Paul, thanks for the report - I'll go a few more years before worrying about it.
I assume in 10 years you have had your P-mags upgraded at least once, but any longevity/preventative maintenance issues? I have had mine three years. I check the input shaft for play each year. - Anything else???

Well we’ve got four airplanes with dual P-Mags now, so it is a little hard to remember who has had what done. But the plane with the most years on P-Mags is actually the RV-8, probably 12 years? They’ve been back twice for upgrades….actually, one went back for the only P-Mag failure I have had, the old “shaft clearance” thing, and that got fixed. then they both went back for a software upgrade once. The RV-3’s have gone back for one software upgrade in their ten years if I recall correctly. The Tundra and RV-6 units are new enough that they are up to date.

To be honest, the P-Mags are far less maintenance intensive than the Slicks they replaced - they pretty much just work, and we maintain them as required.

Hose ID?

Ordered the P-mags to get into the 21st century. Does anyone have the ID of the hose provided? I'm looking to get the supplies (T-fitting in this case) in advance of the installation.

Back