Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
I think we removed the canopy, we're using a 3D printed hinge covers that are removable.

The stock hinge cover's spring will deform when removing and will need to be replaced, it will not survive the removal procedure. Even if you think it did, that spring is so sensitive, that you'll never get it to lay all the way down again.

So ... if you're using the stock hinge covers and already painted the airplane, you may want to do it with the canopy secured in the open position.

If you haven't done the hinge covers, I would take the canopy off.
I made about 6 of those cover assemblies and had the painter paint 'em all...

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 06-11-2021, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfp View Post
I believe the new replacement struts for the 14 are slightly higher compression than the originals. Itís probably best to replace both at once so they are equal strength.
Iím 6í2Ē and 230 lbs. so itís not easy getting under the panel of the 14A, but itís a heck of a lot easier than getting under the panel on my old 6A. It helped me a lot to have my helper (wife) hand me tools and parts, so I didnít have to get in and out from under the panel several times. I also changed them out one at a time and did not have to remove the canopy. But I did have my helper hold the canopy just in case it wanted to come down, and wiggle it to get the pins out and in.
Thanks,
All good information...advice.
H
Old 06-11-2021, 05:29 PM

Default This is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfp View Post
I believe the new replacement struts for the 14 are slightly higher compression than the originals. Itís probably best to replace both at once so they are equal strength.
Iím 6í2Ē and 230 lbs. so itís not easy getting under the panel of the 14A, but itís a heck of a lot easier than getting under the panel on my old 6A. It helped me a lot to have my helper (wife) hand me tools and parts, so I didnít have to get in and out from under the panel several times. I also changed them out one at a time and did not have to remove the canopy. But I did have my helper hold the canopy just in case it wanted to come down, and wiggle it to get the pins out and in.
My kit # was 140329 and shipped with the gas springs meant for 14A kits. The taildraggers need stronger springs and later kits shipped with them. I think the originals were rated 300n and the later ones are rated 350n. I have had no problems in two years now with the heavier springs, but had problems right off the bat with the original ones.

Changing them was an absolute beast, however. You need someone like Phoenix (Bill Kís wife) who can get under there with both shoulders and address the hardware with both hands. I cannot do that and after way too many attempts, recruited sufficiently smaller help.
N1477M
Kit #140329
If I had a nickel for every time I didn?t know what was going on, I?d be, like, ?Why am I always getting all these nickels??
Ka-CHING